2005 Miata MAZDASPEED

Old July 29th 05, 05:50 PM

Default 2005 Miata MAZDASPEED

Hi!

Owners of MAZDASPEEDs,

From your experience, what is your general opinion about the car? When
I test drove the car it seemed to have a sudden surge in power when the
turbo kicked in. It wasn't very smooth. Do all the "mazdaspeeds" do this?

Cheers,
'99 Silver Miata
Old July 31st 05, 02:03 PM
M. Cantera

They do it if you stomp on the accelerator and wait for the turbo to
kick in. If you keep it above 4000 rpm once you are past 1st gear,
you are in the power and just keed shifting gears till you reach your
desired terminal velocity.

You can also keep it out of the turbo, and they just ride like a
stiffer Miata. Or you can play with the turbo on and off all day
long.

Its like having two cars in one, and you can't beat the pricing. The
cars sell for no more than the LS with a couple of options go for.
Some of the aftermarket turbos are more powerful, but you are talking
about 3000 for the turbo, and then you need to upgrade the suspension,
etc. For that king of money, I would go down to the Honda or Nissan
store for an s2000 or a Z.

Old August 1st 05, 10:58 PM

I just recently test drove both a normal 2005, and the Mazdaspeed car.

The turbo does have a bit of lag....but, did jump in nicely. The
suspension felt a little more stiff and better road 'feel' on this
model too.

I'm thinking about getting one, and with Sat. being the last day of the
month the other day...they said they'd deal with me...

I went home to do a bit of research, and found that the NEW 2006
normally aspirated Miata...has a larger 2.0L engine, that is rated at
170 HP. I think the Mazdaspeed car is only 178HP?

I really like the appearance of the newer car...especially the dual
exhaust...but, am thinking, I might see if they'd offer me the 2005
Mazdaspeed turbo...for what the newer 2006 car, which is comparable in
performance, and newer design...MSRP on that is right about at $22K.

Not sure if they'll go for it. If not..I think I'll wait...and try to
compare the new Miata, and the Solstice that is coming out...both have
about the same specs, and pricing...

chilecayenne

Old August 2nd 05, 01:23 AM
M. Cantera

For the 04's they had 2500 cash in September, and more off when the
weather turned (allwas buy your ragtops in the dead of winter, days
between christmas and new years seen to be good days to do a deal.)
There were red turbos available almost into March of this year at one
of the local dealers.

Edmunds.com currently has 1000 cash back unrestricted and 500 more if
you finance with Mazda. Invoice is 24500 subtract the incentive and
that gets you 23000. Once the new model in on the floor, expect big
price cuts.

I would check the dealer's inventory on the internet to see if they
are moving merchandise and take my time about buying.

Old August 2nd 05, 03:01 PM
Chuck

Mazda speed miatas--
The intercooler is small and the car "heatsoaks" quickly.
Exhaust restrictions affect spoolup lower RPM
There seems to be a great deal of variation from one mazdaspeed in how well
everything works together.

All in all, it may be a good starting point if you are willing to spend a
fair amount of money to bring things up to where they should be.
Differences other than the Turbo are really the base for a decent handling
car. It looks like anyone interested in the 04-05 Mazda speed should also
look at FM's website. www.miata.net merchants

(99LS with FMII)

(Waiting to see what can be done with the 2L 06's)

Old August 2nd 05, 05:40 PM

What things need to be done to 'bring it up to where it should be'?

Would it be better to get a normally aspirated model..maybe '03 or '04
and put an aftermarket supercharger on it?

I had been looking at the Borla exhaust systems...I have one on my 911
Turbo ('86)....and love the sound and airflow it gives me.

I saw they had a dual exhaust kit for the miata...and thought I'd go
for that as I like the dual pipe look...and extra air flow.

Hell, for that matter, I live in New Orleans...no hassles for emissions
or noise...I thought about putting straight racing pipes on the new
miata...to see how that worked out...

CC

Old August 2nd 05, 11:27 PM

Thanks for the reply.

If I was to go the used route...what models are best for doing a bolt
on supercharger? A co-worker just bought a red '99 for about $9K...that
sounded like a good price...about 60K miles, and in almost mint
condition.

Also, what are the best bang for the buck superchargers? Are they close
to being 'bolt on' setups...I'm a mechanical noob...but, have friends
that are fairly gear-headed...and would really like to learn to do this
myself...

I'd been reading about some sc's that mentioned up to 70% boost of the
HP...which at approx. 140 stock would take it up to about 238 hp...is
this a realistic expectation? I'd heard you need to replace the stock
clutch on this upgrade pretty quickly....

Any other advice or pitfalls on the used/supercharger route?

Thanks in advance.

chilecayenne

Old August 2nd 05, 11:32 PM

Thanks for the reply Lanny!!

Interesting article and site...I'll read up more on it.

Please excuse a noob question....what does it mean when they say the
turbo mazda gets 'heatsoaked' quickly....and what happens when it does,
and can something be done to prevent this?

One thing...with the new versions coming out soon...while I know this
will help in the sale price of the '05 mazda sport....how much will
this drop the resale on it do you think?

Thanks for all the replies!!

chilecayenne

http://www.flyinmiata.com/projects/mazdaspeed.php

> ---
> Lanny Chambers
> '94C, St. Louis
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

Trade: 1994 Mazda Miata + $$$ for Karmann Ghia MoreOfTheBugs Mazda 2 January 23rd 05 09:57 PM
Looking to buy 1991 1.8 liter turbo miata pws Mazda 3 November 23rd 04 05:37 AM
Another Miata Owner Ken Lyons Mazda 4 November 13th 04 05:38 AM
Cruise Control for Mazdaspeed Miata Me Mazda 4 September 25th 04 12:59 AM
2005 S4 Cabriolet Newbie Ramzi Nassar Audi 4 August 7th 04 10:35 PM