Prove to my insurance that my car has ABS?

Old March 15th 11, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
millinghill

Default Prove to my insurance that my car has ABS?

I have a 2001 Saturn SL1. It has ABS. I know because the dashboard
light says so, and it has saved me from skidding numerous times.
My insurance company is not convinced. Their underwriter says that
ABS was not standard on my car. That may be the case, but my car
_HAS_ ABS. I'm not the original owner, so I don't have the original
sticker. Is there any proof I can offer them so I can get the ABS
discount on my insurance? Does the VIN have a code that identifies
this option was implemented?? Is there some other sticker somewhere
that would indicate?
Thanks
Theodore
Old March 15th 11, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, millinghill > wrote:
>I have a 2001 Saturn SL1. It has ABS. I know because the dashboard
>light says so, and it has saved me from skidding numerous times.
>My insurance company is not convinced. Their underwriter says that
>ABS was not standard on my car. That may be the case, but my car
>_HAS_ ABS. I'm not the original owner, so I don't have the original
>sticker. Is there any proof I can offer them so I can get the ABS
>discount on my insurance? Does the VIN have a code that identifies
>this option was implemented?? Is there some other sticker somewhere
>that would indicate?

No, that's not indicated in the VIN. However, any GM dealer should be able to
look up the VIN and give you a printout of what equipment is on the vehicle --
there has to be a record of it somewhere.

Failing that, Plan B is to drive your car to the agent's office, take off a
wheel, and show him the ABS sensor on the hub.
Old March 16th 11, 12:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
marx404

"Failing that, Plan B is to drive your car to the agent's office, take off a
wheel, and show him the ABS sensor on the hub."

LOL, that's a bit overboard, don'tcha think?

I deal with insurance ppl all the time. What I tell people is that if your
agent fails to decode or is unable to decode the VIN for safety feature
discounts, it's time for a new insurance company or agent. :-)

ABS was an option on your car. Perhaps you have a copy of the original
window sticker stored away somewhere? And if not then do drive your car to
the office and turn the key so the agent can actually see the ABS light on
the dash.

IIRC, ABS was also accompanied with a TC button as well.

Old March 16th 11, 01:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Doug Miller[_1_]

In article >, "marx404" > wrote:
>"Failing that, Plan B is to drive your car to the agent's office, take off a
>wheel, and show him the ABS sensor on the hub."
>
>LOL, that's a bit overboard, don'tcha think?

No, not really. He already said that *telling* the agent he has an ABS light
on his dashboard wasn't good enough; what makes you think that *showing* him
an ABS light would be any better? The presence of a light on the dashboard
doesn't prove that the car is actually equipped with ABS -- but the presence
of an ABS sensor on the hub sure does.

>I deal with insurance ppl all the time. What I tell people is that if your
>agent fails to decode or is unable to decode the VIN for safety feature
>discounts, it's time for a new insurance company or agent. :-)

Complete nonsense. That's not encoded in the VIN.

>ABS was an option on your car. Perhaps you have a copy of the original
>window sticker stored away somewhere?

He already said explicitly that he bought the car used and does not have a
copy of the sticker.
Old January 7th 13, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Loved my SL2

> millinghill wrote:
>
> I have a 2001 Saturn SL1. It has ABS. I know because the dashboard
> light says so, and it has saved me from skidding numerous times.
> My insurance company is not convinced. Their underwriter says that
> ABS was not standard on my car. That may be the case, but my car
> _HAS_ ABS. I'm not the original owner, so I don't have the original
> sticker. Is there any proof I can offer them so I can get the ABS
> discount on my insurance? Does the VIN have a code that identifies
> this option was implemented?? Is there some other sticker somewhere
> that would indicate?
> Thanks
> Theodore

Yikes! Next time, open hood, take photo and text it to your insurance company.

Above driver's side wheel well area near the firewall is the black painted
power brake unit.
Attached front center is the metal brake master cylinder that has a plastic
brake fluid reservoir atop of it.
Follow the metal tubes from master cylinder to nearby (inches!) metal box with
some electric cables and more metal tubes attached.
That box is the ABS unit. No box, no ABS.

--
posted from
http://www.motorsforum.com/saturn/pr...abs-20865-.htm