Now here's a cool car

Old April 2nd 10, 04:40 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.honda
Frank ess

Default Now here's a cool car

Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 04/01/2010 09:35 PM, Tegger wrote:
>> Grumpy > wrote in
>> :

>>> Whatta joke...
>>>
>>> Studebaker was there before anyone else in 1962.
>>>
>>> Do some worthwhile research regarding the "Avanti."
>>>

>> Phooey on the Avanti. Go back to 1958.
>>
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambler_Rebel>

> Well, if you want to play that game, you could also argue for the
> '55 Chrysler 300, '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk, or '57 Chevy
> (remember when a brand had only one basic body style?) with the
> fuel injected 283/283.
> Of course by '57 there were lots of players in the horsepower game.
> (both Ford and Studebaker were offering supercharged engines from
> the factory in '57... yes really!)
>
> I guess the Chevy really doesn't count though because at least the
> definition of a "muscle car" that seems to fit most cars that
> qualify is that it's a smaller body style with an engine from a
> larger chassis shoved into it and possibly hopped up in the
> process, and the Chevy was considered to be a "full-sized" car with
> no larger option. Now if
> they'd used a warmed up Caddy engine or something like that... By
> that definition the Golden Hawk comes the closest to fitting, being
> a Studebaker "sports hardtop" body that was originally designed for
> Stude 232 but with the big Packard 352 V-8 shoehorned into the
> engine bay.
>
> nate

I seem to remember the Buick Century from 1953 or 1954 ...
Old April 2nd 10, 05:03 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.honda
Hank[_7_]

In article >,
Frank ess > wrote:

> [...]

I think you're a bit late when talking about "hot" Studebakers.
The 1951-52 Commander weren't too sleeply, and the '53 was even
better. That's with a little Studie V-8. They shoved a 352 Packard
engine in the Golden Hawk in '56, which was more "muscle car" in that
it would go fast in a straight line, but going around corners was a
bit hazy

>>> Phooey on the Avanti. Go back to 1958.
>>>
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambler_Rebel>

>> Well, if you want to play that game, you could also argue for the
>> '55 Chrysler 300, '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk, or '57 Chevy
>> (remember when a brand had only one basic body style?) with the
>> fuel injected 283/283.
>> Of course by '57 there were lots of players in the horsepower game.
>> (both Ford and Studebaker were offering supercharged engines from
>> the factory in '57... yes really!)
>>
>> I guess the Chevy really doesn't count though because at least the
>> definition of a "muscle car" that seems to fit most cars that
>> qualify is that it's a smaller body style with an engine from a
>> larger chassis shoved into it and possibly hopped up in the
>> process, and the Chevy was considered to be a "full-sized" car with
>> no larger option. Now if
>> they'd used a warmed up Caddy engine or something like that... By
>> that definition the Golden Hawk comes the closest to fitting, being
>> a Studebaker "sports hardtop" body that was originally designed for
>> Stude 232 but with the big Packard 352 V-8 shoehorned into the
>> engine bay.
>>
>> nate

>I seem to remember the Buick Century from 1953 or 1954 ...

Well, shove you memory about the Buick Century back to 1936. If you
want to define a "muscle car" as a big engine in a light body, that
was the original Century,

Then you can look at the 1949-50 Olds 88. Making that car wasn't the
original plan---they were going to offer a 6-cyl in the GM A body and
the V-8 only in the C body (98). Until somebody figured out that a
303 CID V-8 might put a bit of serious performance into the Olds
product line.

And nobody here has yet mentioned the Hudson Hornet, which cleaned
everybody's clock in stock car races for years.

In 1967, when those Mustangs were new, I was driving a 1965 Buick
Riviera, and the Mustang didn't interest me in the least.

Hank
Old April 2nd 10, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.honda
Jim Warman

Cool car? Yep... I'm on my third Mustang - how I wish I'd kept the others...
especially the 64 and a half....

Spawned anything? Pony cars yes... But here's muscle
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1964-f...hunderbolt.htm

Old April 2nd 10, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.honda
Dave__67

On Apr 1, 11:12*am, "Speeders & Drunk Drivers Kill Kids"
> wrote:
> boyari2 > wrote in news:2008b48e-5e66-4dbb-8416-
> :
>
> > It's the original muscle car that spawned all the other imitators,
> > isn't it?

> > * * * * * * * * * * * *http://surftofind.com/car

>*Bet you love child molesters too.

No one here wants to horn in on your territory...

Dave
Old April 2nd 10, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.honda
Jim Warman

Fastest off the line? I don't ever recall a Beetle with "neck-snapping"
acceleration...

Old April 2nd 10, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.honda
WindsorFox[_5_]

richard wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 14:41:30 -0500, WindsorFox<[SS]> wrote:
>
>> richard wrote:

>>> Sorry, not the original muscle car.
>>>
>>> http://www.autoevolution.com/news/mu...-gto-5493.html
>>>
>>> The original was a 1964 Pontiac GTO "The Goat".
>>>
>>> Your pictured mustang was a piece of ****.
>>> A 1963 plymouth Belvedere with a stock 318 could run circles around that
>>> mustang with ease.
>>>
>>> Personally, I owned a 1968 Dodge Coronet Station Wagon with a 383 and a
>>> holley 750 quad. Your mustang would still be at the line while I was
>>> halfway down the strip.

>> I think you are a troll, but tell me by looking at that picture
>> which engine is in that Mustang? The two most common ones have the same
>> power as a 318 did in 1963. Comparing a 335 HP station wagon with a 235
>> hp or more Mustang would be a bad idea, I'd still put my money on the
>> Mustang even with only th 4V 302 simply because of the weight
>> difference. If it were a 390 or bigger, you're hosed.

> The 67 mustang fastback as pictured here was and still is a piece of ****.

That's an opinion, AFAIC so are you.

> How many of them are sought after by collectors today? None.

As opposed to what, a 63 Belvadere? GMAFB

> The OP claimed the 67 mustang shown was the original muscle car.

And I corrected him without offending half of Usenet or being a
dickhead about it.

> Goes to show he dont know **** about cars.

It was a troll. Are you new to Usenet?

--
..

"Uhoh, well that shouldn't have happened..." - Mike Holmes
Old April 2nd 10, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.honda
WindsorFox[_5_]

Grumpy AuContraire wrote:
> boyari2 wrote:
>> It's the original muscle car that spawned all the other imitators,
>> isn't it?
>>

>> http://surftofind.com/car

> Whatta joke...
>
> Studebaker was there before anyone else in 1962.
>
> Do some worthwhile research regarding the "Avanti."
>
> JT

Which is cool, yet hardly fits the definition of "muscle car."

--
..

"Uhoh, well that shouldn't have happened..." - Mike Holmes
Old April 2nd 10, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.honda
WindsorFox[_5_]

http://surftofind.com/car

>> Hey stupid. There's no such thing as a cool car. All cars are super-
>> dangerous but useful tools. Only a psychopath loves cars. Bet you
>> love child molesters too.
>>
>> Get help please.

> <snort>
>
> I suppose that you also believe in human caused climate change,
> horseless carriages, whale oil lanterns too.
>
> Gotta luv them thar' stupid imbecilic geniuses...
>
> JT

Which brings up an interesting thought. If half of the car drivers
switched to horses, how much CO2 and methane would replace the lost CO?

--
..

"Uhoh, well that shouldn't have happened..." - Mike Holmes
Old April 2nd 10, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.honda
WindsorFox[_5_]

Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 04/01/2010 09:35 PM, Tegger wrote:
>> Grumpy > wrote in
>> :

>>> Whatta joke...
>>>
>>> Studebaker was there before anyone else in 1962.
>>>
>>> Do some worthwhile research regarding the "Avanti."
>>>

>> Phooey on the Avanti. Go back to 1958.
>>
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rambler_Rebel>

> Well, if you want to play that game, you could also argue for the '55
> Chrysler 300, '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk, or '57 Chevy (remember when a
> brand had only one basic body style?) with the fuel injected 283/283. Of
> course by '57 there were lots of players in the horsepower game. (both
> Ford and Studebaker were offering supercharged engines from the factory
> in '57... yes really!)
>
> I guess the Chevy really doesn't count though because at least the
> definition of a "muscle car" that seems to fit most cars that qualify is
> that it's a smaller body style with an engine from a larger chassis
> shoved into it and possibly hopped up in the process, and the Chevy was
> considered to be a "full-sized" car with no larger option. Now if
> they'd used a warmed up Caddy engine or something like that... By that
> definition the Golden Hawk comes the closest to fitting, being a
> Studebaker "sports hardtop" body that was originally designed for a
> Stude 232 but with the big Packard 352 V-8 shoehorned into the engine bay.
>
> nate

ROFL....

"FOR SALE:
Nothing at the moment. Well, everything's for sale, for a price, but
I'm not actively trying to sell anything..."

--
..

"Uhoh, well that shouldn't have happened..." - Mike Holmes
Old April 2nd 10, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,misc.transport.rail.americas,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang,rec.autos.driving,alt.autos.honda
WindsorFox[_5_]

Jim Warman wrote:
> Fastest off the line? I don't ever recall a Beetle with "neck-snapping"
> acceleration...

Not that was 100% stock anyway...

--
..

"Uhoh, well that shouldn't have happened..." - Mike Holmes

Cool Tracy VW air cooled 4 August 18th 08 11:37 AM
99 SW - A/C not cool enough Michal Saturn 0 June 10th 05 03:22 AM
This might be cool... Shag VW air cooled 1 May 19th 05 12:59 AM
96 2.2 Dex cool or not? Bob Urz Technology 6 May 9th 05 03:07 AM
this is cool billybeer VW air cooled 0 November 16th 04 03:01 PM