Flipping Toyota 4 runners / Trucks.

Old July 6th 08, 06:23 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
No Kill Shelters

Default Flipping Toyota 4 runners / Trucks.

I`ve heard SO much about Toyota 4 runners and Toyota trucks rolling.
Plus My son nearly lost his life when his Toyota rolled and YES for no
reason.
No drinking nor drugs involved!
I have 2 4x4 Toyota trucks and am wondering if there may be a for sure
steering I can put under my trucks?
They have sent out 2 steering recalls on my trucks now???
Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Robin.

Old July 7th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.4x4
C. E. White[_1_]

The older 4Runners and Tacomas have a very poor history with regards
to roll over performance. This is to be expected, they are relative
tall vehicles, with a narrow track, and a relatively short wheelbase.
A high center of gravity and a narrow track is a combination that
results in poor rollover performance. I am not sure what you can do to
improve this. Making the track wider (moving the wheels out with
spacers) would help some, but that has its own negative effects and is
probably not a good idea. Leaving the vehicle at the stock height (or
even lowering them would help some). Making sure the tires are
properly inflated per the vehicle placard (NOT the maximum listed on
the tires) would also help. In the end, the most important factor is
the driver. These are high center of gravity vehicles, drive them as
such.

If you are really worried about this, trade them in on newer models.
The newer 4Runners and Tacomas have much better rollover resistance.
Toyota improved them so that they went from being among the most
rollover prone vehicles sold in the US, to among the best in class (as
far as rollover performance).

Ed