Should this trooper be fired?

Old March 23rd 05, 03:25 AM
Car

Default Should this trooper be fired?

From the Hartford Courant

Trooper Suspended 15 Days

Response To 911 Call Called Inappropriate

By TRACY GORDON FOX
Courant Staff Writer

March 22, 2005

A state trooper was suspended for 15 days without pay Monday
for telling the friend of a seriously injured motorcyclist
"too bad," and hanging up on him when he called 911 for help
last August.

State police said Trooper Robert Peasley's behavior did not
affect the response time to the accident or contribute to the
death of Justin Sawyer, 21, of Bozrah. Sawyer died of head
injuries several days after the crash in Bozrah.

"The investigation revealed inappropriate and unprofessional
language," said Sgt. J. Paul Vance, a state police spokesman.
"The investigation revealed that despite the comments, state
police and emergency service arrived promptly."

But state police Commissioner Leonard C. Boyle said residents
expect more from the state police when they call for help.

"When someone reports a serious incident on a 911 call,
the person receiving that call has an obligation to receive
information, convey information back to that person and do
so in a respectful manner," Boyle said Monday.

Sawyer's family hired a lawyer, complained to state police,
and requested the tape of the incident after learning what
the trooper had said to Sawyer's friend. No lawsuit has been
filed. Sawyer's family could not be reached for comment Monday.

Peasley, who was working the dispatch desk in the Troop E
barracks in Montville, was punished after an internal affairs
investigation for several offenses, including conduct
unbecoming a police officer, inefficient action and lack
of decorum, police said.

The trooper hung up on the caller because he apparently
thought he had received several other calls about the same
incident. But Boyle said the investigation showed that the
call from the friend was the first Troop E received for that
accident. It also showed that Peasley was rude to a second
caller who reported the accident, telling him Sawyer
"shouldn't have been riding that way."

Union officials said they will fight to reduce the punishment,
especially considering that Peasley, an 18-year veteran, has
a good record and had not previously been in trouble.

"It's a tragedy. But the discipline imposed is extremely
harsh and not warranted," union President David LeBlanc
said Monday.

LeBlanc said Peasley and the one civilian dispatcher on
duty on the evening of Aug. 17 were swamped with calls from
another accident and several other incidents.

LeBlanc said the incident illustrates the stress on
dispatchers and troopers who man the desks at the busiest
barracks.

"It's out of control, and the agency has refused to
staff it appropriately," LeBlanc said.

Boyle said the department is looking into ways to better
handle 911 calls.

"In this instance, the investigation established the
trooper had the opportunity and should have taken and
provided more information," Boyle said.
Old March 23rd 05, 04:02 AM
L Sternn

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:25:35 -0500, Car > wrote:

>From the Hartford Courant
>
>Trooper Suspended 15 Days
>
>Response To 911 Call Called Inappropriate
>
>By TRACY GORDON FOX
>Courant Staff Writer
>
>March 22, 2005
>
>A state trooper was suspended for 15 days without pay Monday
>for telling the friend of a seriously injured motorcyclist
>"too bad," and hanging up on him when he called 911 for help
>last August.
>
>State police said Trooper Robert Peasley's behavior did not
>affect the response time to the accident or contribute to the
>death of Justin Sawyer, 21, of Bozrah. Sawyer died of head
>injuries several days after the crash in Bozrah.

Given the information in the remainder of the article, I'd really love
to know how they came to that conclusion.

One possible explanation. The cops were all tied up with something
else and it wouldn't have mattered if there was even a 911 system as
opposed to simply calling the police department's main number. In
fact, it may not have mattered if they had called Domino's for pizza
and waited for it to be delivered before they called 911.

But yes, I think he should be fired. Even if his actions did not
result in slower response, they certainly could have.

Old March 23rd 05, 04:32 AM
Allen Seth Dunn

"Car" > wrote in message ...

> [...]
> especially considering that Peasley, an 18-year veteran, has
> a good record and had not previously been in trouble.
>
> "It's a tragedy. But the discipline imposed is extremely
> harsh and not warranted," union President David LeBlanc
> said Monday.
>
> LeBlanc said Peasley and the one civilian dispatcher on
> duty on the evening of Aug. 17 were swamped with calls from
> another accident and several other incidents.
>
> LeBlanc said the incident illustrates the stress on
> dispatchers and troopers who man the desks at the busiest
> barracks.
>
> "It's out of control, and the agency has refused to
> staff it appropriately," LeBlanc said.
>
> Boyle said the department is looking into ways to better
> handle 911 calls.
>
> "In this instance, the investigation established the
> trooper had the opportunity and should have taken and

Damn right he should be fired. While the officer may have a point about the
place being understaffed, it is still no excuse. If I tried to that in my
grocery clerk job, as soon as word got out to a manager from the customer,
I'd be hauled into the manager's office to try to explain myself, and then
most likely get my ass fired almost certainly regardless of my explanation
(OT, that type of thing has almost happened to me too many times, and I
really got out of the customer service biz).

Old March 23rd 05, 09:07 AM
jaybird

Of course he shouldn't be fired. He's an 18 year veteran with no prior
disciplinary action. I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone in any profession
with that record, just based on a comment.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 23rd 05, 12:40 PM
Dave Head

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:07:48 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>Of course he shouldn't be fired. He's an 18 year veteran with no prior
>disciplinary action. I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone in any profession
>with that record, just based on a comment.

On one hand, you're consistent! <G>

On the other hand, I agree - the bunch around here is very, very quick to have
people fired or say that a person shouldn't be driving. Leave it up to this
bunch, and _nobody_ would be qualified to drive due to some innocuous minutia
about their driving that they simply don't like.

Dave Head
Old March 23rd 05, 03:19 PM
Cory Dunkle

Without a doubt he should be fired, and blacklisted from all police
agencies. His behavior was totally inappropriate. Even assuming it's true
that his completely disrespectful behavior did not adversely affect response
time, it's still totally inappropriate. The person on the other end of that
phone pays his salary, as do we all.

Cops so often forget that they are _PUBLIC SERVICE_ officers. They serve the
public, and the public pays them for that service. They serve every single
person out on the streets and sidewalks. Even if they suspect that person of
something the cop still needs to treat that person with the utmost respect
and courtesy.

Anyhow, the world would be a better place without all the ass holes like
this pig working on the force.

Cory

Old March 23rd 05, 03:21 PM
Cory Dunkle

"jaybird" > wrote in message
news
> Of course he shouldn't be fired. He's an 18 year veteran with no prior
> disciplinary action. I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone in any profession
> with that record, just based on a comment.

Nothing on his record for 18 years? That doesn't mean a thing for a cop.
Cops do awful things all the time and they do not get reported on their
record. It's one of the perks of being a cop, part of job security. You are
above the system, to a great extent a cop can do whatever he pleases and
receive no punitive response or corrective actions taken against him. It's
disgusting that these pigs have no respect.

Cory

Old March 23rd 05, 04:24 PM
jaybird

"Cory Dunkle" > wrote in message
> "jaybird" > wrote in message
> news
>> Of course he shouldn't be fired. He's an 18 year veteran with no prior
>> disciplinary action. I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone in any
>> profession
>> with that record, just based on a comment.

> Nothing on his record for 18 years? That doesn't mean a thing for a cop.
> Cops do awful things all the time and they do not get reported on their
> record. It's one of the perks of being a cop, part of job security. You
> are
> above the system, to a great extent a cop can do whatever he pleases and
> receive no punitive response or corrective actions taken against him. It's
> disgusting that these pigs have no respect.

That's not exactly true. 18 years is a long time to go with no disciplinary
action if you're not doing things the right way. I know you'd like to
believe that cops are pieces of s$%t, but cops are held to a much higher
standard these days.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 23rd 05, 04:26 PM
jaybird

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:07:48 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>
>>Of course he shouldn't be fired. He's an 18 year veteran with no prior
>>disciplinary action. I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone in any profession
>>with that record, just based on a comment.

> While I am on record as agreeing with your position, it seems likely
> that he has been doing things like this for some time; this is merely
> the first time he got caught/somebody complained loudly enough. The
> article itself mentions that he was rude to some other callers, as
> well.
>
> This kind of negative attitude doesn't suddenly appear one day after
> an 18-year exemplary record; it has been YEARS in the making. Nor will
> it magically disappear after 15 days. I predict this officer will have
> future run-ins of a similar nature. And, of course, once he racks up
> enough of them he will eventually be fired for cause (or forced to
> retire or something).

It's possible, but we don't really know that. I'm sure that most of us here
are generally nice and respectful to others but we have our bad days. I've
made comments before that I probably shouldn't have, as most of us have
done, but that doesn't automatically make it normal practice.

--
---
jaybird

Old March 23rd 05, 04:30 PM
jaybird

"Cory Dunkle" > wrote in message
news
> Without a doubt he should be fired, and blacklisted from all police
> agencies. His behavior was totally inappropriate. Even assuming it's true
> that his completely disrespectful behavior did not adversely affect
> response
> time, it's still totally inappropriate. The person on the other end of
> that
> phone pays his salary, as do we all.

If he wants his fraction of a penny that he's contributed to that guy's pay,
then I'm sure the cop would be glad to give it back.

> Cops so often forget that they are _PUBLIC SERVICE_ officers. They serve
> the
> public, and the public pays them for that service. They serve every single
> person out on the streets and sidewalks. Even if they suspect that person
> of
> something the cop still needs to treat that person with the utmost respect
> and courtesy.

Respect and courtesy are very important, but everyone is jumping to
conclusions here. How easy it is for people in this ng to crucify a cop.

> Anyhow, the world would be a better place without all the ass holes like
> this pig working on the force.

We still have to deal with assholes like you who are anti-cop so it's only
fair that we get one or two on our side. ) It sounds to me like he's a
pretty good cop if he's worked for 18 years with nothing negative in his
file.

--
---
jaybird