72 Mach 1 leaking gas

Old February 12th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
neildomo

Default 72 Mach 1 leaking gas

I bought a beat up 72 Mach 1 a couple weeks ago (my first project car)
and probably bit off more than I can chew. I filled it up with gas
yesterday, and this morning noticed it dripping gas from where the gas
line comes out of the gas tank. Looks like there's an elbow coming out
of the gas tank, and a hose connected to that. Not sure if the leak is
from where the elbow meets the tank, or where the gas link connects to
the elbow. Is there a way to quick-patch this, or should I even try? I
didn't get a chance to see under the whole car, but if I try to
replace that gas line, how long does that piece go (all the way to the
front, or is there a gas filter in the back)?

Thanks,
Neil

Old February 12th 07, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn

replace the gas lines and the tank and fuel filter first.

obviously drain the tank into some safe containers and filter what you drain
out.

oups.com...

Old February 12th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox[_1_]

neildomo wrote:
> I bought a beat up 72 Mach 1 a couple weeks ago (my first project car)
> and probably bit off more than I can chew. I filled it up with gas
> yesterday, and this morning noticed it dripping gas from where the gas
> line comes out of the gas tank. Looks like there's an elbow coming out
> of the gas tank, and a hose connected to that. Not sure if the leak is
> from where the elbow meets the tank, or where the gas link connects to
> the elbow. Is there a way to quick-patch this, or should I even try? I
> didn't get a chance to see under the whole car, but if I try to
> replace that gas line, how long does that piece go (all the way to the
> front, or is there a gas filter in the back)?
>
> Thanks,
> Neil

Silver solder and a torch. Well, maybe not. JB Weld, but if it's a
"project" you shouldn't be "patching it up quick" anyway. It will have
to be done at some point anyway and IF you determine it is the tube and
not the hose leaking, you should remove and drain the tank, dry it
thoroughly and solder/braise the fitting properly.

--
"One hard rule of sockpuppetry is that a sockpuppet
can't be smarter than its animator."
Old February 12th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, WindsorFox wrote:

> Silver solder and a torch. Well, maybe not. JB Weld, but if it's a
> "project" you shouldn't be "patching it up quick" anyway. It will have
> to be done at some point anyway and IF you determine it is the tube and
> not the hose leaking, you should remove and drain the tank, dry it
> thoroughly and solder/braise the fitting properly.

If I remember correctly, in that area is also the sending unit for the
fuel gauge. That seal may also be leaking. The prime suspect however is
the hose.

Old February 12th 07, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
neildomo

On Feb 12, 9:00 am, (Brent P)
wrote:
> In article >, WindsorFox wrote:
> > Silver solder and a torch. Well, maybe not. JB Weld, but if it's a
> > "project" you shouldn't be "patching it up quick" anyway. It will have
> > to be done at some point anyway and IF you determine it is the tube and
> > not the hose leaking, you should remove and drain the tank, dry it
> > thoroughly and solder/braise the fitting properly.

> If I remember correctly, in that area is also the sending unit for the
> fuel gauge. That seal may also be leaking. The prime suspect however is
> the hose.

Thanks for the quick replies! I agree that it should be fixed
properly, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to let a tank full of gas
leak out (I guess I'm not prepared for siphoning). I have a laundry
soap container under it now with a small neck, so the smell is gone
and I feel a bit safer.

Next question: is this hose just generic hose? Can I just go to an
autoparts store and ask for a couple feet of gasline hose and just cut
it to fit? Or would it be a '72 Mustang part that I need to search
for?

Thanks again,
Neil

Old February 12th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article .com>, neildomo wrote:

> Thanks for the quick replies! I agree that it should be fixed
> properly, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to let a tank full of gas
> leak out (I guess I'm not prepared for siphoning).

If you're quick, you can replace the hose without much leaking out..

> Next question: is this hose just generic hose? Can I just go to an
> autoparts store and ask for a couple feet of gasline hose and just cut
> it to fit? Or would it be a '72 Mustang part that I need to search
> for?

It's regular fuel hose for all fords of that vintage I think. Just
measure it to get the correct ID. probably 3/8th's ID... just measure the
steel tubing.

Old February 13th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
nospam

First, congrats on the 72! I am also restoring a 72 mach1 also.

Just drop the tank, it's very quick and easy. I've done it a couple of times
while I welded the new trunk floor in. Loosen the nuts on the long bolts
(that hold up the tank straps) near the rear bumper and the straps that hold
the tank up have "cross" or "+" shaped slots on the opposite end. Once you
drop the tank, you can access the vent and fuel lines coming from the top of
the tank. BTW, the sending unit is on the left (driver's) side, not the top.

This is my second project car, don't feel like you bit off more than you can
chew! It's very satisfying to complete each step, and then to take it out on
the first cruise when it's complete!!!!! :-)

Take your time and don't rush things or cut corners, you'll do fine.

Good Luck!
Dave

oups.com...

Old February 13th 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
neildomo

On Feb 12, 7:08 pm, "nospam" > wrote:
> First, congrats on the 72! I am also restoring a 72 mach1 also.
>
> Just drop the tank, it's very quick and easy. I've done it a couple of times
> while I welded the new trunk floor in. Loosen the nuts on the long bolts
> (that hold up the tank straps) near the rear bumper and the straps that hold
> the tank up have "cross" or "+" shaped slots on the opposite end. Once you
> drop the tank, you can access the vent and fuel lines coming from the top of
> the tank. BTW, the sending unit is on the left (driver's) side, not the top.
>
> This is my second project car, don't feel like you bit off more than you can
> chew! It's very satisfying to complete each step, and then to take it out on
> the first cruise when it's complete!!!!! :-)
>
> Take your time and don't rush things or cut corners, you'll do fine.
>
> Good Luck!
> Dave
>
> "neildomo" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> >I bought a beat up 72 Mach 1 a couple weeks ago (my first project car)
> > and probably bit off more than I can chew. I filled it up with gas
> > yesterday, and this morning noticed it dripping gas from where the gas
> > line comes out of the gas tank. Looks like there's an elbow coming out
> > of the gas tank, and a hose connected to that. Not sure if the leak is
> > from where the elbow meets the tank, or where the gas link connects to
> > the elbow. Is there a way to quick-patch this, or should I even try? I
> > didn't get a chance to see under the whole car, but if I try to
> > replace that gas line, how long does that piece go (all the way to the
> > front, or is there a gas filter in the back)?

> > Thanks,
> > Neil

Well, I found out last night that the rubber hose has a split in it. I
bought the wrong size last night, so I just pinched the hose with a
clamp to stop the leaking. I'd like to drain the gas before doing
this, but I don't have anyplace to store an almost full tank of gas.
I'll get some 3/8" ID hose today, and hope I can swap it out very
quickly.

Thanks, Neil

Old February 13th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
keng2

I hope you're doing all this outside!
Ken
oups.com...

Old February 14th 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
vince garcia

WindsorFox wrote:

> neildomo wrote:
> > I bought a beat up 72 Mach 1 a couple weeks ago (my first project car)
> > and probably bit off more than I can chew. I filled it up with gas
> > yesterday, and this morning noticed it dripping gas from where the gas
> > line comes out of the gas tank. Looks like there's an elbow coming out
> > of the gas tank, and a hose connected to that. Not sure if the leak is
> > from where the elbow meets the tank, or where the gas link connects to
> > the elbow. Is there a way to quick-patch this, or should I even try? I
> > didn't get a chance to see under the whole car, but if I try to
> > replace that gas line, how long does that piece go (all the way to the
> > front, or is there a gas filter in the back)?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Neil
> >

> Silver solder and a torch. Well, maybe not.

Don't joke about something like that. There are people stupid enough to
give that a try, and blow themselves up...

'69 Mach 1 ID. Mark C. Ford Mustang 10 May 10th 05 04:15 AM
Now my Mach-1 is really "hot!" [email protected] Ford Mustang 7 April 22nd 05 06:54 PM
any more mach 1`s ???? Michael price Ford Mustang 4 March 21st 05 05:46 PM
70 mach 1 amysam Ford Mustang 4 December 19th 04 05:18 AM
Mach 1 Matt Ford Mustang 6 November 28th 04 05:35 PM