GM engines

Old November 14th 05, 02:24 PM
N8N

Default GM engines

Pooh Bear wrote:
> Jason wrote:
>
> > > I decided to buy one of GM vehicles with V6 engine.

> > OK. rec.fetish.masochism might be a more appropriate group to post your
> > question in, but we can try to help you here.
> > Hmmm? My memory is short I guess :-). Thinking about my experience with
> > Chevette and later with Citation, I guess you might be right.
> >
> > > Does not really matter it is a car or small SUV. What matters is where the

> > engine was made.
> > That is an interesting and strange way to pick a vehicle.
> > Not as long as deciding factor is combination of: rather boring not fancy
> > and/or head turning (thievs), take me from A to B driver, price, size, fuel
> > economy, reliability. Malibu, Maxx, or Equinox would fit "the bill".
> >
> > > I would like to avoid the one made overseas.

> > The Chevrolet Equinox is powered by a Chinese-built version of the 3.4.
> >
> > THANKS!
> > This is the one I want to avoid at any cost - a result of my experience with
> > stuff made there.

> This is a lie.
>
> GM does not use any Chinese engines.
>
> The previous poster was a troll.
>
> Graham

I don't believe so... I have heard this several times myself.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...x+engine+china

nate

Old November 14th 05, 04:47 PM
Dan J.S.

"Pooh Bear" > wrote in message

> Jason wrote:
>
>> > I decided to buy one of GM vehicles with V6 engine.

>> OK. rec.fetish.masochism might be a more appropriate group to post your
>> question in, but we can try to help you here.
>> Hmmm? My memory is short I guess :-). Thinking about my experience with
>> Chevette and later with Citation, I guess you might be right.
>>
>> > Does not really matter it is a car or small SUV. What matters is where
>> > the

>> engine was made.
>> That is an interesting and strange way to pick a vehicle.
>> Not as long as deciding factor is combination of: rather boring not
>> fancy
>> and/or head turning (thievs), take me from A to B driver, price, size,
>> fuel
>> economy, reliability. Malibu, Maxx, or Equinox would fit "the bill".
>>
>> > I would like to avoid the one made overseas.

>> The Chevrolet Equinox is powered by a Chinese-built version of the 3.4.
>>
>> THANKS!
>> This is the one I want to avoid at any cost - a result of my experience
>> with
>> stuff made there.

> This is a lie.
>
> GM does not use any Chinese engines.
>
> The previous poster was a troll.
>
> Graham

GM does use Chinese parts and now engines. This is what happens when a Union
paints you into a cornet. This is why you need to stay away from GM.

Old November 14th 05, 05:03 PM
C. E. White

"Pooh Bear" > wrote in message

> GM does not use any Chinese engines.
>
> The previous poster was a troll.

See
http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en..._3.4%20LNJ.pdf
(or http://tinyurl.com/7q9zd ). Read to the end and see the following
statement:

"The 3400 V-6 (LNJ) is built in Shanghai, China." So clearly this engine is
built in China. Whether this makes it a GM enginebuilt in China, or a
Chinese engine used in a GM vehicle, is an unimportant difference.

Ed

Old November 14th 05, 05:31 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Jason wrote:

> Hmmm? My memory is short I guess :-). Thinking about my experience with
> Chevette and later with Citation, I guess you might be right.

Yep.

>> The Chevrolet Equinox is powered by a Chinese-built version of the 3.4.

> THANKS!

You're welcome.

> The 3.1 and 3.4 have a long and sorry reputation as inferior, mediocre,
> problem-prone designs.

> From power point of view, 180-200 hp is all (and more) I need . I was
> told (by a dealer) that 3.1 piston slapping problem was solved a
> "while" ago. All I know about 3.4 is very good mileage and at least a
> decent power.

....and constant intake manifold gasket problems, among others.

>> Right, that's GM's recent transmission philosophy: The fluid is a
>> lifetime item. That is, when the transmission dies, the fluid's
>> lifetime is obviously over.

> Are you saying that "lifetime" according to GM might be a way shorter than
> "lifetime" according to a car buyer like myself? Hmmm! What if you are right?

What if I am right? Well, if I'm right, then you will wish you'd bought a
Toyota instead of a piece of GM garbage.

Old November 17th 05, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

In article . com>,
N8N > wrote:

>In GM's defense the 3.4 in my Impala is still working fine with nary a
>hitch after 10K miles.
>
>OTOH, my 18 year old Porsche 4-cylinder is smoother AND QUIETER. go
>figure.

You're comparing a Porsche and a Chevy? Not much figuring required.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old November 17th 05, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On 13 Nov 2005 14:20:45 -0800, "N8N" > wrote:

>In GM's defense the 3.4 in my Impala is still working fine with nary a
>hitch after 10K miles.

Only 10K miles? Bwahahaha, I'd hope so.

---Mack
Old November 17th 05, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:24:27 GMT, Jason > wrote:

>I decided to buy one of GM vehicles with V6 engine.
>Does not realy matter it is a car or smal SUV. What matters is where
>the engine was made.
>I would like to avoid the one made overseas.
>I was told that one of three : 3.1litre, 3.4litre, or 3.5litre is an
>overseas product, but the person was not sure which one. Dealers I asked
>about did not give me a stright answer.
>Anybody here knows?
>
>Also what is the deal about transmission without a dipstick.
>I looked at Malibu and there is no dipstick to check automatic
>transmission oil level.
>On longer trips when refueling I always check tranny oil level. I would
>hate to buy a new tranny or be stranded in middle of nowhere with melted
>tranny because lack of lubrication.
>My plan is to drive the car for possibly next 10 years. Can GM seals be
>100% trusted for that long?
>Thanks.

How about you just avoid any piece of **** GM?

---Mack
Old November 18th 05, 01:29 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Mack North" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 05:24:27 GMT, Jason > wrote:
>
>>I decided to buy one of GM vehicles with V6 engine.
>>Does not realy matter it is a car or smal SUV. What matters is where
>>the engine was made.
>>I would like to avoid the one made overseas.
>>I was told that one of three : 3.1litre, 3.4litre, or 3.5litre is an
>>overseas product, but the person was not sure which one. Dealers I asked
>>about did not give me a stright answer.
>>Anybody here knows?
>>
>>Also what is the deal about transmission without a dipstick.
>>I looked at Malibu and there is no dipstick to check automatic
>>transmission oil level.
>>On longer trips when refueling I always check tranny oil level. I would
>>hate to buy a new tranny or be stranded in middle of nowhere with melted
>>tranny because lack of lubrication.
>>My plan is to drive the car for possibly next 10 years. Can GM seals be
>>100% trusted for that long?
>>Thanks.

> How about you just avoid any piece of **** GM?

It appears that is exactly what most people are doing.

Old November 18th 05, 01:30 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Mack North" > wrote in message
> On 13 Nov 2005 14:20:45 -0800, "N8N" > wrote:
>>
>>In GM's defense the 3.4 in my Impala is still working fine with nary a
>>hitch after 10K miles.

> Only 10K miles? Bwahahaha, I'd hope so.

Low expectation is apparently at play.

Chrysler engines Technology 20 July 26th 05 01:07 AM
Ford's Mod Motors Are "Top-10 Engines"? [email protected] Ford Mustang 14 March 19th 05 05:53 PM
T1 fuel injected engines vs T1 carbureted engines Jens VW air cooled 6 March 3rd 05 03:22 AM
Stupid question (was Changing the oil filter only) Bill F Technology 20 January 18th 05 10:57 PM