Spark Plug change in an '04 Durango

Old August 20th 06, 01:16 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
lcarr

Default Spark Plug change in an '04 Durango

I would like to change the 8 plugs in my Durango next time around.
This is a cost-cutting measure, since the shop really charged me a
bundle. I noticed they have some sort of cap or device on top of each
plug. In fact, the rear two seem to go back into the fire wall a bit.
It looks like I can get to it, but I would hate to remove a bunch of
stuff first.
How difficult is this job? I have changed plugs in my '93 Dakota but
they are easy, wires, easy access, etc. My concern also, is will I
throw a code with the engine if I do it myself?

Any advice would be great.
Leo

Old August 20th 06, 02:46 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
miles

lcarr wrote:
> I would like to change the 8 plugs in my Durango next time around.
> This is a cost-cutting measure, since the shop really charged me a
> bundle. I noticed they have some sort of cap or device on top of each
> plug. In fact, the rear two seem to go back into the fire wall a bit.
> It looks like I can get to it, but I would hate to remove a bunch of
> stuff first.
> How difficult is this job? I have changed plugs in my '93 Dakota but
> they are easy, wires, easy access, etc. My concern also, is will I
> throw a code with the engine if I do it myself?

Which engine do you have? The Hemi has 16 plugs and 2 cylinders are
difficult to get too. Shops figure 2 hours labor so thats why the high
cost for them to change. I have about 40K on mine so it's about time to
change mine as well.
Old August 20th 06, 04:04 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
lcarr

I have the V8, 4.7L. I just had them changed and it was a whopper of a
bill.

Old August 20th 06, 05:14 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Abby Normal[_1_]

I have a 98 Dakota with the 5.2L V8 and 89K miles on it. I've never changed
the plugs. My son's 2000 Dakota has a 3.9L V6 with 97K miles on it. Those
are also the original plugs. Same with my wife's 02 Intrepid (70k miles)
and daughter's 2000 Neon (120K miles) - original plugs. Today's engines
don't need plug changes like the older engines so you may want to consider
saving your money until one goes bad.

ups.com...

Old August 20th 06, 08:39 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
miles

lcarr wrote:
> I have the V8, 4.7L. I just had them changed and it was a whopper of a
> bill.

My dealer wants $230 to change them on a Hemi 5.7L.
Old August 20th 06, 08:43 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
miles

Abby Normal wrote:
> I have a 98 Dakota with the 5.2L V8 and 89K miles on it. I've never changed
> the plugs. My son's 2000 Dakota has a 3.9L V6 with 97K miles on it. Those
> are also the original plugs. Same with my wife's 02 Intrepid (70k miles)
> and daughter's 2000 Neon (120K miles) - original plugs. Today's engines
> don't need plug changes like the older engines so you may want to consider
> saving your money until one goes bad.

Thats not entirely true. If you take your plugs out you'll probably
notice the gap is now many times greater than what it should be. Odds
are the probe is eaten away to very little remaining. The higher
voltage and current in todays ignition system means the gap is of less
importance. It still fires. However, your mpg and performance will
improve if you replace the plugs far sooner than 100K. The Durango Hemi
comes with copper plugs. They're not gonna do that well for 100K. I
don't know what other Dodge engines come with.
Old August 21st 06, 01:43 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Abby Normal[_1_]

You are right. I just pulled each one from my 5.2L V8 and found the gap on
each one to be at .044 in. and they are supposed to be 0.040 in. They all
looked in pretty good shape too. I re-gapped them all to 0.040 in. and
reset them. They didn't look new but for having almost 90k miles on them
they did look pretty good. I would check the distributor too if I could get
to it. That will take some doing and removal of a few engine components
first. I'll revisit that when it gets below 90 deg. F here in Texas. It
was hot as he*@ this afternoon just doing the plugs.

Looks like I have some plugs, wires, and distributor parts to change out
this Fall - both trucks. The Neon will take all of 10 minutes if I take my
time. The Intrepid may be another story. Haven't cracked the hood yet -
too hot.

Old August 21st 06, 06:52 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
miles

Abby Normal wrote:
> You are right. I just pulled each one from my 5.2L V8 and found the gap on
> each one to be at .044 in. and they are supposed to be 0.040 in.

I pulled the plugs on my 2001 Ram with 60K and found the gap to be .15".
There wasn't anything left of the probe. Maybe Dodge uses copper on
some model/years and platinum on others.
Old August 21st 06, 04:59 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
Abby Normal[_1_]

my plugs a Champion RC12LC4 and gapped to 0.040 in. if that means
anything. It will cost me about $100 in parts to do the plugs, wires,
distributor cap, and rotor for this engine and a couple dollars less for my
son's 3.9L V6.