87 735i faulty heater valve

Old September 20th 04, 04:39 PM
John Seager

Default 87 735i faulty heater valve

My heater blows hot on one side (windscreen outlet) all the time. Local
dealer says it needs a new valve for ZAR 2931 plus labour (= GBP 245 or $
450). My questions: (a) anyone know if the valve is easy to get at (or
hidden deep behind the dash)? (b) is it worth fitting a second-hand unit? or
(c) is the valve likely to be repairable?
TIA
John.
--
*** Remove NOSPAM to reply ***

Old September 20th 04, 11:00 PM
Jim Levie

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:39:19 +0200, John Seager wrote:

> My heater blows hot on one side (windscreen outlet) all the time. Local
> dealer says it needs a new valve for ZAR 2931 plus labour (= GBP 245 or $
> 450). My questions: (a) anyone know if the valve is easy to get at (or
> hidden deep behind the dash)? (b) is it worth fitting a second-hand unit?
> or (c) is the valve likely to be repairable? TIA
> John.

According to what I see on Bavarian auto for a '87 735i it looks like you
have vacuum operated valves. Those are a good bit cheaper than the
electrically operated valve assembly used on later E32's ($49/US vs
$149/US). On the later E32's the valves were mounted in the engine bay on
the left side against the firewall. Dunno if an early E32 (which and
'87 should be) has them in the same place.

With vacuum operated valves it could be that you just have a broken hose.
Do you know if that's been checked or if your mechanic is just assuming
the the valve is bad?

--
The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Old September 21st 04, 08:21 AM
John Seager

*** Remove NOSPAM to reply ***
"Jim Levie" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 17:39:19 +0200, John Seager wrote:
>

> With vacuum operated valves it could be that you just have a broken hose.
> Do you know if that's been checked or if your mechanic is just assuming
> the the valve is bad?
>
> --
> The instructions said to use Windows 98 or better, so I installed RedHat.

Thanks. I'll check hoses and/or wires first. J

Old September 21st 04, 08:26 AM
John Seager

*** Remove NOSPAM to reply ***
"C.R. Krieger" > wrote in message
om...
My questions: (a) anyone know if the valve is easy to get at (or
> > hidden deep behind the dash)?

> On your 7, I don't know. It's really easy on the 5 Series. In the
> engine compartment, just about dead center.
>
> (b) is it worth fitting a second-hand unit?
>
> No. They all crap out eventually.
>
> > (c) is the valve likely to be repairable?

> Yes, but BMW doesn't sell the core alone. Benz does. So do some
> aftermarket BMW suppliers like Bavarian Autosport. It's about $30.
> If you can get the four little screws out of the valve, it's a
> 15-minute job.
> --
> C.R. Krieger
> (I can see *mine*!)

Thanks. There is something that looks about right on the left side of the
firewall. I may as well take it off and see if it's repairable before
shelling out $450 just because BMW believes in a 'throw away' society.
J.

Old September 21st 04, 05:37 PM
C.R. Krieger

"John Seager" > wrote in message >...
> --
> Thanks. There is something that looks about right on the left side of the
> firewall. I may as well take it off and see if it's repairable before
> shelling out $450 just because BMW believes in a 'throw away' society.

Coolant hoses ledaing into it? One electrical connector? Four small
screws on top? That's it. Be prepared for coolant spills. *After*
you get it off and get those screws out, Jenny Morgan (BMW CCA's
Roundel columnist) recommends that you *replace them* with either
bolts or phillips screws. I think you'll know why when you get them
out.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; hate them)