Civic for tall people: pedal/seat customizations?

Old February 16th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
flo money flo problems

Default Civic for tall people: pedal/seat customizations?

Hi,

I'm tall and have found that I can't find a comfortable seat position
in my civic that allows me to reach both the pedals and steering
wheel comfortably. If my hands are at a comfortable position, then my
legs are scrunched up, and if my legs are at a comfortable position,
then my arms need to stretch to reach the steering wheel.

Does anybody know of any modifications to the civic that can help with
this problem? It looks like there might be some extra room in front of
the pedals, so is it possible to move them forward to get a few more
inches of room? Or is it possible to get a different seat? Steering
wheel?

I know other car models are better for tall people... I wish I had
figured that out 5 years ago!!

Thanks for any advice,
Laura

Old February 16th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
flo money flo problems

This is a 2001 Civic EX, if that helps

Thanks,
Laura

Old February 17th 07, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

flo money flo problems wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm tall and have found that I can't find a comfortable seat position
> in my civic that allows me to reach both the pedals and steering
> wheel comfortably. If my hands are at a comfortable position, then my
> legs are scrunched up, and if my legs are at a comfortable position,
> then my arms need to stretch to reach the steering wheel.
>
> Does anybody know of any modifications to the civic that can help with
> this problem? It looks like there might be some extra room in front of
> the pedals, so is it possible to move them forward to get a few more
> inches of room? Or is it possible to get a different seat? Steering
> wheel?
>
> I know other car models are better for tall people... I wish I had
> figured that out 5 years ago!!
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> Laura

i'm tall and think civics [without moon roofs] were made just for me
they fit so well. chicks have longer legs so y'all are screwed. the
only mod you could make to suit is to shift the steering wheel back, but
i'd be very reluctant to do that unless it was done to the very highest
[expensive] standards. maybe try another vehicle with a more upright
position like a minivan?
Old February 17th 07, 08:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

On Feb 16, 9:04 pm, jim beam > wrote:

> > I know other car models are better for tall people... I wish I had
> > figured that out 5 years ago!!

> > Thanks for any advice,
> > Laura

> i'm tall and think civics [without moon roofs] were made just for me
> they fit so well. chicks have longer legs so y'all are screwed. the
> only mod you could make to suit is to shift the steering wheel back, but
> i'd be very reluctant to do that unless it was done to the very highest
> [expensive] standards. maybe try another vehicle with a more upright
> position like a minivan?

Many people seem to have the same complaint about the 9th gen
corollas.
I just bought one the other day, and before I picked it up I was
reading a
bunch of reviews where people had pretty much the same complaints.
IE: hard to find a good seat position, steering wheel seems far away,
etc..
I had sat in the car, etc, but didn't really notice anything out of
the ordinary.
But I kept seeing all those reports, and started to wonder if maybe I
made
a mistake, and would end up being uncomfortable.
But after I picked it up and started driving it, I noticed no real
trouble at all.
If anything, it seems pretty comfortable to me, and I usually tilt the
steering
wheel down low towards my lap. I'm about 5,11 ft tall, so not real
tall, but
not really short either.. I guess I got lucky, unless I start to
notice some
problem on long trips.. But...Most all cars start to get to me after a
few
hundred miles. We had a 02 impala that had nice looking seats, etc,
but after a 500 mile trip, my rear felt like it was on a park bench.
I drove a 07 taurus rent a car to Oklahoma and back last week, "900
miles total",
and it was starting to get uncomfortable on the last legs back to
Houston.
I get the "restless rump" syndrome, where it's hard to find a comfy
position
for my skinny ass. I honestly think my 89 accord has more comfortable
seats than both that new taurus, or the 02 impala we had.. I still
haven't decided
which I like best as far as the honda vs the toyota.. I'll have to
wait and
see how a long trip goes. They are different animals. The accord seats
are much
lower to the ground, vs the corolla seating. The corolla seems to have
a lot of
mid-lower back support in the seats, so that might help for me on long
trips.
MK

Old April 5th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
CivicerEG

Hey,
I have been having the same issue. I have a 1993 Civic DX EG (I think
EG means a hatchback?), and I am 6'2'', rather long in the leg. If I
could just get the seat back a few inches farther then I would be
happy, never mind getting into a telescoping steering wheel.
I installed some Integra seats (direct bolt in) I got off ebay, after
reading that these sit lower to the ground than the stock Civic seats.
Not sure if that is the case, but now I have lumbar-support on the
driver's seat! Now I am trolling this forum to see if anyone has a
story of modifying seat rails or an aftermarket seat that I can adjust
back in the the rear seats.
I feel your pain and will post any breakthroughs!
:banghead:

--
CivicerEG
CivicerEG's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=507166

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old April 5th 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Siskuwihane

On Feb 16, 2:20 pm, "flo money flo problems" >
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm tall and have found that I can't find a comfortable seat position
> in my civic that allows me to reach both the pedals and steering
> wheel comfortably. If my hands are at a comfortable position, then my
> legs are scrunched up, and if my legs are at a comfortable position,
> then my arms need to stretch to reach the steering wheel.
>
> Does anybody know of any modifications to the civic that can help with
> this problem? It looks like there might be some extra room in front of
> the pedals, so is it possible to move them forward to get a few more
> inches of room? Or is it possible to get a different seat? Steering
> wheel?
>
> I know other car models are better for tall people... I wish I had
> figured that out 5 years ago!!
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> Laura

I would suggest asking in the group

alt.support.tall

Here is one thread on that very subject from that group, but I'm sure
there are more. HTH.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.s...f2064e694291b8

94 civic lx seat woes Isaac Honda 0 May 31st 06 12:08 AM
Seat cushion for 98 Civic [email protected] Honda 0 May 13th 06 07:46 PM
91 Civic: Seat belt alarm [email protected] Honda 11 May 25th 05 12:45 AM
Discount Truck Parts and Customizations trucklover123 4x4 0 February 13th 05 12:03 AM
Clutch pedal effort on 96 Civic Udayan Bhapkar Honda 1 October 11th 04 02:24 PM