e39 dashboard and fan

Old September 18th 04, 12:58 PM
stew_mclean

Default e39 dashboard and fan

Hi,

The dashboard in my 97 E39 528 SE Auto has stopped working. That is
the dials dont move, the computer is blank. The only think that is on
is the current gear display. Additionally, the fan is not coming on
for the blower, even though that part of the car is all lighting up
correcly.

Oddly, when I first put the key in, all the dashboard lights up as
usual with the warning lights / service indicator etc.

In pinning my hopes on a fuse which I will check later on today (don't
even know where they are yet :-) ). I've been searching around and
can't seem to find anyone else who has suffered the same.

Any ideas.

Stew (hoping desperately that this is not BAD - the wallet cant take
it since the car is already going in for a service, and getting 2 new
tyres).
Old September 18th 04, 06:59 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article > ,
stew_mclean > wrote:
> The dashboard in my 97 E39 528 SE Auto has stopped working. That is
> the dials dont move, the computer is blank. The only think that is on
> is the current gear display.

You've not been fiddling with the test menus available via the trip reset
button, have you? It's possible to switch off everything with that.

> Additionally, the fan is not coming on
> for the blower, even though that part of the car is all lighting up
> correcly.

Likely the most common fault on an E39 - the final stage resistor pack.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old September 19th 04, 08:15 AM
stew_mclean

Dave,

Thanks for your answer... comments below

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message >...
> In article > ,
> stew_mclean > wrote:
> > The dashboard in my 97 E39 528 SE Auto has stopped working. That is
> > the dials dont move, the computer is blank. The only think that is on
> > is the current gear display.

> You've not been fiddling with the test menus available via the trip reset
> button, have you? It's possible to switch off everything with that.

Nope. Didnt even know you could. Might do now though ;-)
Incidentally, when I got back in the car, the dash was all working
again. Sounds like a horrible gremlin...

> > Additionally, the fan is not coming on
> > for the blower, even though that part of the car is all lighting up
> > correcly.

> Likely the most common fault on an E39 - the final stage resistor pack.

Even though the dash is now working, the fan is still not. Strange
that they both failed together, but obviously not related. Will
investigate the final stage resistor pack - found a few posts now that
seem the same (my combination of search words didnt hit these before).

Thanks again.
Old September 19th 04, 09:32 AM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
stew_mclean > wrote:
> > Likely the most common fault on an E39 - the final stage resistor pack.

> Even though the dash is now working, the fan is still not. Strange
> that they both failed together, but obviously not related. Will
> investigate the final stage resistor pack - found a few posts now that
> seem the same (my combination of search words didnt hit these before).

It's a relatively easy - though fiddly - DIY job. It's located between the
back of the heater and the bulkhead. Accessible from the right hand side
foot well (passenger side US) after removing the trim. Costs about $50.

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long? *