Any opinions on the X5?

Old September 18th 08, 04:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ivan Marsh[_2_]

Default Any opinions on the X5?

Now that my 740IL has officially been laid to rest and is no doubt sitting
in a warehouse in a square foot cube it's time to start looking for a new
ride.

There's a 2001 4.4L X5 for sale. I haven't checked the Carfax report yet
but I was wondering what X5 owners have to say about them.

thx-

--
I told you this was going to happen.

Old September 18th 08, 06:22 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Ivan Marsh" > wrote in message
news

> Now that my 740IL has officially been laid to rest and is no doubt sitting
> in a warehouse in a square foot cube it's time to start looking for a new
> ride.
>
> There's a 2001 4.4L X5 for sale. I haven't checked the Carfax report yet
> but I was wondering what X5 owners have to say about them.
>
> thx-
>
> --
> I told you this was going to happen.

As I have had 4off 735i, one 740i and driven a relatives X5 (but not owned
one), I would say that although the performance and internal space of the X5
are fine, you will probably find the drive disappointing - it's a great big
wallowy 4X4, although it still drives better than any US car I have ever
driven or even been in. Thirsty too.

Old September 18th 08, 06:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ivan Marsh[_2_]

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:22:45 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

> "Ivan Marsh" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> Now that my 740IL has officially been laid to rest and is no doubt
>> sitting in a warehouse in a square foot cube it's time to start looking
>> for a new ride.
>>
>> There's a 2001 4.4L X5 for sale. I haven't checked the Carfax report
>> yet but I was wondering what X5 owners have to say about them.

> As I have had 4off 735i, one 740i and driven a relatives X5 (but not
> owned one), I would say that although the performance and internal space
> of the X5 are fine, you will probably find the drive disappointing -
> it's a great big wallowy 4X4, although it still drives better than any
> US car I have ever driven or even been in. Thirsty too.

Unfortunately everything is most likely going to be a bit of a
disappointment compared to my 740.

Any troubles with mechanical/maintenance problems on the X5 that you know
of?

--
I told you this was going to happen.

Old September 19th 08, 01:40 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Major Disaster

On Sep 18, 11:40*am, Ivan Marsh > wrote:
> Now that my 740IL has officially been laid to rest and is no doubt sitting
> in a warehouse in a square foot cube it's time to start looking for a new
> ride.
>
> There's a 2001 4.4L X5 for sale. I haven't checked the Carfax report yet
> but I was wondering what X5 owners have to say about them.
>
> thx-
>
> --
> I told you this was going to happen.

Check out www.x5world.com

Lots of info there.
Old September 19th 08, 02:11 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
R. Mark Clayton

"Ivan Marsh" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:22:45 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>
>> "Ivan Marsh" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>
>>> Now that my 740IL has officially been laid to rest and is no doubt
>>> sitting in a warehouse in a square foot cube it's time to start looking
>>> for a new ride.
>>>
>>> There's a 2001 4.4L X5 for sale. I haven't checked the Carfax report
>>> yet but I was wondering what X5 owners have to say about them.

>> As I have had 4off 735i, one 740i and driven a relatives X5 (but not
>> owned one), I would say that although the performance and internal space
>> of the X5 are fine, you will probably find the drive disappointing -
>> it's a great big wallowy 4X4, although it still drives better than any
>> US car I have ever driven or even been in. Thirsty too.

> Unfortunately everything is most likely going to be a bit of a
> disappointment compared to my 740.

So why not get another one?

> Any troubles with mechanical/maintenance problems on the X5 that you know
> of?

Well its a 4x4 so lots of things to go wrong in the drivetrain.

It's NOT a Range Rover, so if you actually drive it over ploughed fields,
you will break it.

It really is thirsty (even compared with 740i with the same engine) and
with a lot more metal and the aerodynamics of a garden shed (a Range Rover
has the aerodynamics of a brick ****house). You are going to notice this on
acceleration and high speed (except US).

It is not going to corner nearly as well as a 740, and if kerbed etc. is
much more likely to roll.

In short if you just drive up and down the freeway you are unlikely to
notice except at the pump and the machine shop, where your bills will be
higher...

Old September 19th 08, 04:00 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ivan Marsh[_2_]

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 02:11:25 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

> "Ivan Marsh" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:22:45 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>>> "Ivan Marsh" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>>

>>> As I have had 4off 735i, one 740i and driven a relatives X5 (but not
>>> owned one), I would say that although the performance and internal
>>> space of the X5 are fine, you will probably find the drive
>>> disappointing - it's a great big wallowy 4X4, although it still drives
>>> better than any US car I have ever driven or even been in. Thirsty
>>> too.

>> Unfortunately everything is most likely going to be a bit of a
>> disappointment compared to my 740.

> So why not get another one?

I'd love to, but I think the newer model BMWs look Japanese rather than
European (not to mention I can't afford a new model). Mine was a 2000,
had one previous owner... used as a fleet car to shuttle people to the
airport, had 68,000 miles on it and was pristine. I've never heard an
insurance appraiser sound more sad to total a car out.

It took me eight months to track it down and I'm driving a borrowed car
so I'm not going to have that option this time around.

I'd buy something else but I pretty much think any American car made
after 1972-74 is ugly as hell and I can't stand Japanese cars.

>> Any troubles with mechanical/maintenance problems on the X5 that you
>> know of?

> Well its a 4x4 so lots of things to go wrong in the drivetrain.
>
> It's NOT a Range Rover, so if you actually drive it over ploughed
> fields, you will break it.

I'm interested in the 4x4 more for the nasty snow and ice around here
rather than taking it trail blazing.

> It really is thirsty (even compared with 740i with the same engine) and
> with a lot more metal and the aerodynamics of a garden shed (a Range
> Rover has the aerodynamics of a brick ****house). You are going to
> notice this on acceleration and high speed (except US).

That's not too much of a concern. I'm more into the smooth cruise than
being street racer guy.

> It is not going to corner nearly as well as a 740, and if kerbed etc. is
> much more likely to roll.

I drove a '72 Bronco for quite a while so that's pretty expected.

> In short if you just drive up and down the freeway you are unlikely to
> notice except at the pump and the machine shop, where your bills will be
> higher...

Cool. I've heard a lot of, what I consider BS, about the 7's being high
maintenance and didn't have any issues with it until someone decided to
drive a Ford Aerostar, literally, over the top of it.

I've heard some of the same things about the X5's that sound like they're
in the shop all the time. I just want to make sure I'm not thinking about
buying a money pit.

--
I told you this was going to happen.
Old September 19th 08, 04:02 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ivan Marsh[_2_]

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 17:40:03 -0700, Major Disaster wrote:

> On Sep 18, 11:40Â*am, Ivan Marsh > wrote:
>> Now that my 740IL has officially been laid to rest and is no doubt
>> sitting in a warehouse in a square foot cube it's time to start looking
>> for a new ride.
>>
>> There's a 2001 4.4L X5 for sale. I haven't checked the Carfax report
>> yet but I was wondering what X5 owners have to say about them.
>>
>> thx-
>>
>> --
>> I told you this was going to happen.

> Check out www.x5world.com
>
> Lots of info there.

Excellent, thanks.

--
I told you this was going to happen.
Old September 19th 08, 04:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Scott Dorsey

Ivan Marsh > wrote:
>On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 02:11:25 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>
>>> Unfortunately everything is most likely going to be a bit of a
>>> disappointment compared to my 740.

>> So why not get another one?

>I'd love to, but I think the newer model BMWs look Japanese rather than
>European (not to mention I can't afford a new model). Mine was a 2000,
>had one previous owner... used as a fleet car to shuttle people to the
>airport, had 68,000 miles on it and was pristine. I've never heard an
>insurance appraiser sound more sad to total a car out.

So get an old used one. They are out there. And realize that just because
your car has been totalled by the insurance company doesn't mean it might
not still be repairable. It just means the insurance company won't spend
the money to repair it.

The X5 is an SUV. If you like SUVs, it might be a good vehicle for you.
Personally, I hate SUVs, and the X5 still drives like one. It's like a
pig wallowing down the road when you get to the twisty parts. It's probably
a lot better than other competing SUVs, but it's still an SUV.

Go look for a used 740.
--scott
Old September 19th 08, 05:21 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Ivan Marsh[_2_]

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:08:33 -0400, Scott Dorsey wrote:

> Ivan Marsh > wrote:

>>> So why not get another one?

>>I'd love to, but I think the newer model BMWs look Japanese rather than
>>European (not to mention I can't afford a new model). Mine was a 2000,
>>had one previous owner... used as a fleet car to shuttle people to the
>>airport, had 68,000 miles on it and was pristine. I've never heard an
>>insurance appraiser sound more sad to total a car out.

> So get an old used one. They are out there. And realize that just
> because your car has been totalled by the insurance company doesn't mean
> it might not still be repairable. It just means the insurance company
> won't spend the money to repair it.

If you saw it you wouldn't question it being totaled out. Half the front
end is gone. The driver side doors are crushed together. The rear end is
smashed up. There's damage to the frame and possibly the engine.

The nearest 740 is over 100 miles away and I just don't have time to go
looking at cars that far away.

> The X5 is an SUV. If you like SUVs, it might be a good vehicle for you.
> Personally, I hate SUVs, and the X5 still drives like one. It's like a
> pig wallowing down the road when you get to the twisty parts. It's
> probably a lot better than other competing SUVs, but it's still an SUV.

I wouldn't mind having a truck again.

--
I told you this was going to happen.

Old September 19th 08, 05:58 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

On Sep 18, 10:40*am, Ivan Marsh > wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 18:22:45 +0100, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> > "Ivan Marsh" > wrote in message
> >news

> >> Now that my 740IL has officially been laid to rest and is no doubt
> >> sitting in a warehouse in a square foot cube it's time to start looking
> >> for a new ride.

> >> There's a 2001 4.4L X5 for sale. I haven't checked the Carfax report
> >> yet but I was wondering what X5 owners have to say about them.

> > As I have had 4off 735i, one 740i and driven a relatives X5 (but not
> > owned one), I would say that although the performance and internal space
> > of the X5 are fine, you will probably find the drive disappointing -
> > it's a great big wallowy 4X4, although it still drives better than any
> > US car I have ever driven or even been in. *Thirsty too.

> Unfortunately everything is most likely going to be a bit of a
> disappointment compared to my 740.
>
> Any troubles with mechanical/maintenance problems on the X5 that you know
> of?

According to Mike Miller, Roundel's tech talk editor, one problem you
should check for is the tailgate. Supposedly as it ages, the tailgate
will begin to rattle. Further, the electrical cord that attaches to
the gate can/will break and cause electrical problems with things like
rear defogger, brake/tail lights, etc.

I'm sure there's other specific issues, but the key is to find one
with complete service records and by all means, have it checked out by
a competent independent who KNOWS BMWs! Good Luck

Q7 (4.2 TDI) opinions ? Julius Vindex Audi 2 June 19th 07 12:15 AM
opinions? DougW Jeep 8 December 27th 06 07:05 PM
your opinions? [email protected] Honda 13 October 23rd 06 06:06 PM
A6 opinions? [email protected] Audi 9 November 15th 05 08:20 PM