miata versus deer

Old September 29th 04, 07:36 PM
pws

Default miata versus deer

Here are some pictures of a 1996 M edition after a 55 to 60 mph
collision with a fairly large doe. We generally have small deer in
central Texas, and this is one of the bigger does that I have seen.

http://home.austin.rr.com/sheltonser...ashedmiata.jpg
http://home.austin.rr.com/sheltonser...shedmiata2.jpg
http://home.austin.rr.com/sheltonser...shedmiata3.jpg

Damage done:

People, myself and my daughter - shaken but uninjured.

deer - killed instantly

The car - bent hood, both headlights shattered, both headlight buckets
are mangled, the nose has a large dent in it and one of the front turn
signal lenses is also shattered. Radiator was cracked and A/C no longer
works, not sure if the A/C condensor was cracked or if it is an
electrical problem. Finally, something is draining the car battery when
it is off. Any ideas on what that may be?

Thanks,

Pat
'96M
Old September 30th 04, 01:14 AM
Leon van Dommelen

pws > wrote:

>Here are some pictures of a 1996 M edition after a 55 to 60 mph
>collision with a fairly large doe. We generally have small deer in
>central Texas, and this is one of the bigger does that I have seen.
>
>http://home.austin.rr.com/sheltonser...ashedmiata.jpg
>http://home.austin.rr.com/sheltonser...shedmiata2.jpg
>http://home.austin.rr.com/sheltonser...shedmiata3.jpg

Not good.

>Damage done:
>
>People, myself and my daughter - shaken but uninjured.
>
>deer - killed instantly
>
>The car - bent hood, both headlights shattered, both headlight buckets
>are mangled, the nose has a large dent in it and one of the front turn
>signal lenses is also shattered. Radiator was cracked and A/C no longer
>works, not sure if the A/C condensor was cracked or if it is an
>electrical problem. Finally, something is draining the car battery when
>it is off. Any ideas on what that may be?

Headlight raise motor? Try pulling the HEAD fuse in the engine bay.

>Thanks,
>
>Pat
>'96M

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old September 30th 04, 05:28 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

Pat,

Sorry to read of this, I usually really like deer but....................

Good luck with the car, what's the prognosis?

Chris
92BB&T (Sugar Land TX, no deer)

Old September 30th 04, 05:58 PM
Natman

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:36:50 GMT, pws > wrote:

>Here are some pictures of a 1996 M edition after a 55 to 60 mph
>collision with a fairly large doe. We generally have small deer in
>central Texas, and this is one of the bigger does that I have seen.
>
>http://home.austin.rr.com/sheltonser...ashedmiata.jpg
>http://home.austin.rr.com/sheltonser...shedmiata2.jpg
>http://home.austin.rr.com/sheltonser...shedmiata3.jpg
>
>Damage done:
>
>People, myself and my daughter - shaken but uninjured.
>
>deer - killed instantly
>
>The car - bent hood, both headlights shattered, both headlight buckets
>are mangled, the nose has a large dent in it and one of the front turn
>signal lenses is also shattered. Radiator was cracked and A/C no longer
>works, not sure if the A/C condensor was cracked or if it is an
>electrical problem. Finally, something is draining the car battery when
>it is off. Any ideas on what that may be?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Pat
>'96M

Thank God no one was hurt. I hope you can save the car, the Starlight
Blue used on the 96M model is one of my favorite Miata colors. Best of
luck.
Old October 1st 04, 05:47 PM
pws

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:

> Pat,
>
> Sorry to read of this, I usually really like deer but....................
>
> Good luck with the car, what's the prognosis?
>
> Chris
> 92BB&T (Sugar Land TX, no deer)

Thank you all for your kind words of support. The airbags never popped
and the frame was not bent, so it looks like I will just be replacing
bolt-on pieces. There is a good chance that some body work will be
required to make everything match up correctly, but I am hoping for the
best. If all of the mounting points still match up then I will be able
to replace all of the pieces myself.

I have been searching the junkyards and have come up with the following
prices so far. I was going to see what people think about the costs that
the yard is charging, all of the parts are claimed to be in very good
condition, though of course they will need to be re-painted:

Hood, including hinges - $150.00
Headlight assemblies, the entire unit with motor - $125.00 each
front bumper (includes right turn signal assembly) - $150.00
left turn signal assembly - $25.00

Total for parts - $575.00 + tax

Does anyone know a rough estimate on having these items repainted? I
don't want to bother the paint shops until I have it all back together
and ready for the final step.

I am also getting a new radiator for $120.00, but I still haven't
checked to see if the A/C system was damaged.

Thanks again all!

Pat
'96M
Old October 1st 04, 06:03 PM
pws

Leon van Dommelen wrote:

> Headlight raise motor? Try pulling the HEAD fuse in the engine bay.

That did it. Thanks Leon.

Now, would you feel like sending me your front pieces that I need? I
promise to leave them white and paint the rest of the car to match. Just
think, you will be helping a fellow miata owner and increasing the
number of white miatas on the road at the same time!

Seriously, if the car had been totaled, I would probably be looking for
a low-mileage, well-maintained white 1994 model (maybe a 1996 or 1997)as
a replacement.

Pat
'96M
Old October 2nd 04, 12:32 AM
Leon van Dommelen

pws > wrote:

>Seriously, if the car had been totaled, I would probably be looking for
>a low-mileage, well-maintained white 1994 model (maybe a 1996 or 1997)as
>a replacement.

You would be competing with me. My plan is to buy a super clean
1994 or 95 white (no OBD II) and put a SC on there, presumably a
FM one. Of course, transferring about 100 dearly beloved goodies
will be very time consuming.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)

thermo sensor relay 90 miata Bruce Gow Mazda 1 September 28th 04 03:28 PM
Miata gas milate srides Mazda 2 September 11th 04 02:39 PM
Market Value - 2003 Miata Carol Mazda 18 September 9th 04 09:12 PM
FA: BRP Jackson Racing supercharger for 99-00 Miata (ends today) SC Miata Mazda 0 September 7th 04 04:55 PM
Ebay auction 1999 Miata In-Dealer Train Kit for Service Advisors and Techs Dale Alexander General 0 March 20th 04 06:37 PM