1997 Honda Civic question

Old January 13th 05, 03:39 PM
TCS

begin On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 08:48:36 -0500, darien7684 > wrote:
>As I said before - he is not on a wild goose chase. The ignition switch
>was checked as well as the coil and they both are fine.

>Do you have any suggestions without out making comments about the
>mechanic's integrity?

I've given you exact details on how to narrow it down to the ignition,
fuel, exhaust, or compression in several posts.

If you want a "try this", or "try that", then that is exactly what I won't
give you. How many parts make up a running engine? Just about any of them
can keep it from starting. Are you going to try replacing them all?

Until you narrow it down to ignition/fuel/exhaust/compression, you haven't a
clue why the car won't start or even where to start looking.

When you get that much of a clue, come back.

Otherwise, I suggest you torch the car and take the bus.
Old January 13th 05, 04:04 PM
darien7684

Well, let me say thanks for your help ... but I could have done without the
sarcastic attitude. I will admit, I do not know a lot about engines, but
you talking to me like I'm an idiot doesn't help either.

Old January 13th 05, 04:08 PM
darien7684

This is the second mechanic ...

Old January 13th 05, 04:11 PM
darien7684

This is the second mechanic ...

Old January 13th 05, 05:00 PM
TCS

begin On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:08:15 -0500, darien7684 > wrote:
>This is the second mechanic ...

Is there spark? Is the timing correct?

Is there fuel pressure? Is the fuel going to the injector rail
Is there a signal going to the fuel injectors?
Is the fuel injector rail grounded? Is there raw gas going out the
tail pipe? Does the engine computer throw any codes? Should it
give an "all ok" code?

Is the exhaust free flowing?

Is there compression?

Have you done the troubleshooting flowchart out of the honda shop
manual?
Old January 17th 05, 07:56 PM
E. Meyer

"darien7684" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> This is the second mechanic ...

Does the second guy know that the first guy corrected the timing by "four
teeth"? Did he access the timing belt and re-install it to correct these
four teeth? Or take out the distributor and turn the gear? What did he
actually do? If the distributor has been out, I would say there is a chance
things were not properly aligned when it was put back. If it is firing the
wrong cylinders at the wrong time, that would be enough to make it not
start.

If you think this second guy is actually competent, have him recheck
whatever was done to the timing, including the belt itself and the
distributor.

Old January 18th 05, 06:23 PM
darien7684

As of this afternoon, it is being towed to the dealer. Hopefully they will
be able to find something.

Old January 19th 05, 10:40 AM

> As of this afternoon, it is being towed to the dealer. Hopefully they will
> be able to find something.

I just saw this thread. Please post what the final prognosis was.
Thx.
Old January 20th 05, 01:57 PM
darien7684

We'll do - thanks!

Old February 1st 05, 06:04 PM
darien7684

The dealer said it has something to do with a pulley not catching when it
tries to start. Replacing that would be about $750, which would get it to
start. After it has started, there will be more problems. Basically, it
comes down to the engine needs to be replaced.

1997 Honda Civic JohnnyGato 4x4 1 December 14th 04 07:51 PM
1997 Honda Civic question darien7684 Honda 14 December 10th 04 09:58 PM
1997 Honda Civic: Axle and Lower Ball Joint Replacement Notes Backpacker Honda 2 November 18th 04 02:52 AM
Why Are Honda CR-V's Catching Fire? Sparky Honda 4 October 19th 04 05:35 PM