BMW new 3 series ( E90) preview

Old September 25th 04, 11:51 AM
David Haggas

"Matt Wette" > wrote in message

By the way, I heard that E46 was actually a Bangle design.

That's very interesting - difficult to believe with the departure he has
made with the modern BMW. I liked the E46 from the very first time I saw it,
especially the Coupe and convertible. It just seems like a natural
progression from the E30 both interior and exterior. I never saw the same
elegance in the E36.

David

Old September 25th 04, 03:55 PM
MW

All this "me too" Bangle bashing really doesn't take into consideration the
reason for an American to be embraced by BMW in such "high fashion". The
guy recently got bumped upstairs for his contributions to our beloved
automobile manufacturer.....guess he really didn't know what the hell he's
was doing after all.

The irony continues with the I-drive implementation in the modern
automobile. Bangle's response to those who bashed him...upon I-drive's
release to the new Seven was "....let's see who else delivers like solutions
within five years...". Imagine that - another insightful conclusion to
forward thinking that major automobile manufacturers have either implemented
or awaiting implementation of an I-drive like solution. Being first on the
block with technology certainly has its pratfalls to success, yet
implementation will soon be more mainstream than probably BMW imagined.

To all who have bashed derBangle - guess what goes around comes
around....huh?

Old September 25th 04, 08:52 PM
dizzy

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 07:55:33 -0700, "MW" > wrote:

>The irony continues with the I-drive implementation in the modern
>automobile. Bangle's response to those who bashed him...upon I-drive's
>release to the new Seven was "....let's see who else delivers like solutions
>within five years...". Imagine that - another insightful conclusion to
>forward thinking that major automobile manufacturers have either implemented
>or awaiting implementation of an I-drive like solution. Being first on the
>block with technology certainly has its pratfalls to success, yet
>implementation will soon be more mainstream than probably BMW imagined.
>
>To all who have bashed derBangle - guess what goes around comes
>around....huh?

Yeah, well, the mainstream makers will mimic BMW, even if BMW's design
is faulty. Let's face it, BMW is about the most "fashionable" car
brand in the world, and they will be copied, sure as a Gucci handbag.

Old October 9th 04, 02:45 AM
GRL

A succesful restyle or freshining of any car inevitably results in an
increase in sales vs. the old model for a while...unless the new
version is a stylistic failure. There are people (with money) who
always want the latest and greatest and will buy the re-style unless
you really offend their sense of taste (which may not be all that easy
to offend). I submit to you that the new 7 and 5 series can offend
anybody's sense of good taste.

The things are just ugly and BMW top management ought to be ashamed of
themselves for having approved the designs.

Maybe Bangle has incriminating photos of the BMW board engaging in
kinky acts with farm animals? Can ther be any other reasonable
explanation for him getting away with this stuff?

I mean, really. Can there?

- nopcbs

Old October 9th 04, 08:28 AM
JP Roberts

> Maybe Bangle has incriminating photos of the BMW board engaging in
> kinky acts with farm animals? Can ther be any other reasonable
> explanation for him getting away with this stuff?
>
> I mean, really. Can there?

LOL Might I suggest they had been alien-abducted?

Old October 10th 04, 01:30 PM
Somebody

"GRL" > wrote in message
om...
> A succesful restyle or freshining of any car inevitably results in an
> increase in sales vs. the old model for a while...unless the new
> version is a stylistic failure. There are people (with money) who
> always want the latest and greatest and will buy the re-style unless
> you really offend their sense of taste (which may not be all that easy
> to offend). I submit to you that the new 7 and 5 series can offend
> anybody's sense of good taste.
>
> The things are just ugly and BMW top management ought to be ashamed of
> themselves for having approved the designs.
>
> Maybe Bangle has incriminating photos of the BMW board engaging in
> kinky acts with farm animals? Can ther be any other reasonable
> explanation for him getting away with this stuff?
>
> I mean, really. Can there?
>
> - nopcbs

No, clearly there can be no other reason than farm animal photos. You
insight is a credit to us all here in the NG.

I bet manufacturers everwhere are happy to know that restyling a car
inevitably results in increased sales, too.

-Russ.

Old October 10th 04, 03:41 PM
Ramone Cila

"GRL" > wrote in message
om...
> A succesful restyle or freshining of any car inevitably results in an
> increase in sales vs. the old model for a while...unless the new
> version is a stylistic failure.

Actually, historically, the first year of BMW new models is always the worst
year. Even the widely lauded E39 had it's two worst sales years during the
two first model years. The E39 got better sales each and every year in
production with the final model year being the greatest. The E46 followed a
very similar sales pattern. I would not expect the E90 to have it's best
years until it is 3 or 4 years into the model run. Nor do I expect the E60
to have it's best years until later in the run.

This may be due to production issues or it may be due to the fact that BMW
buyers are loathe to accept any change in styling direction, but it is a
simple fact that in direct contrast to your assertion the mainstream BMW
models, 3, 5 and 7 have historically had their worst sales figures in the
first few years of production. BMW people are, by and large, faithful and
loyal to the older styling designs. I think that is quite cool.....like the
cars being quirky and eccentric, so are the owners.

For instance, E39 NA sales figures:
1998 - 35,100
1999 - 38,218
2000 - 39,703
2001 - 40,005
2002 - 40,842
2003 - 46,964

Global sales figures follow the same trend.

There is likely some impact from production issues as well as
to-dealer-incentives and impact from rates, but there is no doubt it takes
the BMW client group a fairly long time to accept styling changes. You may
not have been a BMW owner in those days, but there was a very large, very
vocal group, condemning the E39 when it was first unveiled. The E46 had a
similar welcome from those "in-the-know".

Audi 4 vs. Bmw 3 Series Dennis W Audi 30 December 16th 04 02:50 AM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM