Steering Column Headache

Old January 25th 11, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_2_]

Default Steering Column Headache

Having a real head scratcher with my indicater arm on my '69 1200
beetle. The indicator arm switches are not making a connection and I
need to remove it from the steering column. The books I'm using
mention a plug and socket type connection within the steering column
but I'm not sure I have this arrangement within the column as older
models seem to be hard wired. Is there an easy way to remove the arm
without having to cut the wires? I have removed the steering wheel and
ignition barrel cover plate but still none the wiser.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old January 26th 11, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
John[_28_]

Took it off my 67 1300 once. Wires were definitely hardwired to fuse panels,
switches etc. From what I recall it was time consuming rather than
difficult. For this sort of thing its where I find digital cameras really
useful. Inevitably there will be some wire left over I hadnt written down
source/destination for!. Not a lousy fuse/holder?

Old January 28th 11, 02:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
DogDiesel

"John" > wrote in message
> Took it off my 67 1300 once. Wires were definitely hardwired to fuse
> panels, switches etc. From what I recall it was time consuming rather than
> difficult. For this sort of thing its where I find digital cameras really
> useful. Inevitably there will be some wire left over I hadnt written down
> source/destination for!. Not a lousy fuse/holder?

I hate to say this, but im really starting to think I dont want the
headaches. Im burnt from working on watercooled diesel VWs for 20 years.
And I stupidly bought a Toyota 6 years ago and it spoiled me. Because it
requires nothing but rotables. And oil changes.

Diesel

91 Jeep Steering Column [email protected] Jeep 6 January 18th 09 07:56 AM
YJ Steering Column Paint [email protected] Jeep 4 June 5th 06 04:04 PM
Steering Column Groaning RZ Dodge 1 February 17th 06 09:43 AM
Steering column bearing Mike Duane Jr. Jeep 7 May 8th 05 03:27 PM
Steering column Rincewind Saturn 0 June 18th 04 01:10 PM