Car auctions in the US?

Old October 17th 05, 11:27 PM
Curious_Orange

Default Car auctions in the US?

Hi all...

Just wanted to ask if you have such things as car auctions in the US?
(Im a UK based Brit)

Not just auctions for governmental car stock, but also open to private
sellers of vehicles.

cheers.

Old October 18th 05, 12:37 AM
Floyd Rogers

"Curious_Orange" > wrote
> Just wanted to ask if you have such things as car auctions in the US?
> (Im a UK based Brit)
>
> Not just auctions for governmental car stock, but also open to private
> sellers of vehicles.

Yes. There are two or three kinds of auctions. The govt ones you mention,
auctions of govt-seized vehicles (drug dealers, etc.), and ones organized
for sales of used cars - usually open to licensed dealers only. Many used
cars are wholesaled via auctions; that's why it's cheaper to buy from
private
parties since you don't pay the used car dealer all the markups.

FloydR

Old October 18th 05, 01:58 AM
Ashton Crusher

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:37:46 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"
> wrote:

>"Curious_Orange" > wrote
>> Just wanted to ask if you have such things as car auctions in the US?
>> (Im a UK based Brit)
>>
>> Not just auctions for governmental car stock, but also open to private
>> sellers of vehicles.

>Yes. There are two or three kinds of auctions. The govt ones you mention,
>auctions of govt-seized vehicles (drug dealers, etc.), and ones organized
>for sales of used cars - usually open to licensed dealers only. Many used
>cars are wholesaled via auctions; that's why it's cheaper to buy from
>private
>parties since you don't pay the used car dealer all the markups.
>
>FloydR

I haven't paid attention lately but I know all the banks used to do
auctions of their repo vehicles too.
Old October 18th 05, 11:45 PM
Curious_Orange

Floyd Rogers wrote:
> "Curious_Orange" > wrote
> > Just wanted to ask if you have such things as car auctions in the US?
> > (Im a UK based Brit)
> >
> > Not just auctions for governmental car stock, but also open to private
> > sellers of vehicles.

> Yes. There are two or three kinds of auctions. The govt ones you mention,
> auctions of govt-seized vehicles (drug dealers, etc.), and ones organized
> for sales of used cars - usually open to licensed dealers only. Many used
> cars are wholesaled via auctions; that's why it's cheaper to buy from
> private
> parties since you don't pay the used car dealer all the markups.
>
> FloydR

the reason I ask is that about 5 years ago, I did a 2 month road trip
through the south west of the US.

Having done this at eye watering cost through using a rental car, I
promised myself that if I ever did it again, I would *buy* a vehicle
next time round, and then sell it on at the end of my trip, as this
would be surely cheaper.

of course the only problem with doing this, is that I would have a
fixed date when I would be leaving, and I would need to ensure I had
got rid of said vehicle before I had to fly home.

If car auctions exist in the US in the same way as they do in the UK,
this would seem to guarantee a pretty much certain way of selling on a
vehicle by a given date. In the UK, anyone is free to sell on a
vehicle via auction... but from what you say, it sounds like you have
to be a licensed dealer in the US.

Old October 19th 05, 02:32 AM
Floyd Rogers

"Curious_Orange" > wrote
> of course the only problem with doing this, is that I would have a
> fixed date when I would be leaving, and I would need to ensure I had
> got rid of said vehicle before I had to fly home.
>
> If car auctions exist in the US in the same way as they do in the UK,
> this would seem to guarantee a pretty much certain way of selling on a
> vehicle by a given date. In the UK, anyone is free to sell on a
> vehicle via auction... but from what you say, it sounds like you have
> to be a licensed dealer in the US.

Many used-car dealers will take cars on consignment - which means that
they will sell it for you for some percentage of the sales price. There are
also car-buying agents that could help you - although many of them deal
in high-end cars.

FloydR

Old October 19th 05, 06:01 AM
Furious George

Why not just get a rail pass (www.amtrak.com) or a bus pass
(www.greyhound.com)?

Old October 19th 05, 11:20 AM
Dave Head

On 18 Oct 2005 22:01:52 -0700, "Furious George" > wrote:

>Curious_Orange wrote:
>> Floyd Rogers wrote:
>> > "Curious_Orange" > wrote

>> > Yes. There are two or three kinds of auctions. The govt ones you mention,
>> > auctions of govt-seized vehicles (drug dealers, etc.), and ones organized
>> > for sales of used cars - usually open to licensed dealers only. Many used
>> > cars are wholesaled via auctions; that's why it's cheaper to buy from
>> > private
>> > parties since you don't pay the used car dealer all the markups.
>> >
>> > FloydR

>> the reason I ask is that about 5 years ago, I did a 2 month road trip
>> through the south west of the US.
>>
>> Having done this at eye watering cost through using a rental car, I
>> promised myself that if I ever did it again, I would *buy* a vehicle
>> next time round, and then sell it on at the end of my trip, as this
>> would be surely cheaper.
>>
>> of course the only problem with doing this, is that I would have a
>> fixed date when I would be leaving, and I would need to ensure I had
>> got rid of said vehicle before I had to fly home.
>>
>> If car auctions exist in the US in the same way as they do in the UK,
>> this would seem to guarantee a pretty much certain way of selling on a
>> vehicle by a given date. In the UK, anyone is free to sell on a
>> vehicle via auction... but from what you say, it sounds like you have
>> to be a licensed dealer in the US.

>Why not just get a rail pass (www.amtrak.com)

'Cuz rail doesn't go _most_ places a person would want to go.

or a bus pass
>(www.greyhound.com)?

Buses are used by the absolutely poorest segment of our society, who have
personal behavior habits and hygene that often make them not very good
traveling companions. You generally _don't_ want to be sitting beside them.

If you want to travel reliably and relatively cheaply then you're going to have
to drive yourself.

DPH
Old October 21st 05, 09:56 AM
Curious_Orange

Furious George wrote:
> Curious_Orange wrote:
> > Floyd Rogers wrote:
> > > "Curious_Orange" > wrote

> > > Yes. There are two or three kinds of auctions. The govt ones you mention,
> > > auctions of govt-seized vehicles (drug dealers, etc.), and ones organized
> > > for sales of used cars - usually open to licensed dealers only. Many used
> > > cars are wholesaled via auctions; that's why it's cheaper to buy from
> > > private
> > > parties since you don't pay the used car dealer all the markups.
> > >
> > > FloydR

> > the reason I ask is that about 5 years ago, I did a 2 month road trip
> > through the south west of the US.
> >
> > Having done this at eye watering cost through using a rental car, I
> > promised myself that if I ever did it again, I would *buy* a vehicle
> > next time round, and then sell it on at the end of my trip, as this
> > would be surely cheaper.
> >
> > of course the only problem with doing this, is that I would have a
> > fixed date when I would be leaving, and I would need to ensure I had
> > got rid of said vehicle before I had to fly home.
> >
> > If car auctions exist in the US in the same way as they do in the UK,
> > this would seem to guarantee a pretty much certain way of selling on a
> > vehicle by a given date. In the UK, anyone is free to sell on a
> > vehicle via auction... but from what you say, it sounds like you have
> > to be a licensed dealer in the US.

> Why not just get a rail pass (www.amtrak.com) or a bus pass
> (www.greyhound.com)?

well I sampled both of those on my last trip.

I found driving to be far "better" in many respects. Aside from that I
enjoy driving. Simple really.

Red wine and auctions Andrew VW air cooled 3 April 10th 05 06:30 PM
Without Exception, one of the Great Corvette eBay Auctions Tom in Missouri Corvette 9 March 3rd 05 06:53 AM
Countdown on Auctions vwluvrs VW air cooled 2 October 26th 04 05:04 PM
online auctions nospam BMW 0 October 23rd 04 04:04 PM
Bid on live auctions of your favorite cars Proxibid Antique cars 0 November 21st 03 04:02 PM