Scientists Invent Undetectable Speed Detector

Old April 21st 05, 07:44 PM
MidnightDad

Default Scientists Invent Undetectable Speed Detector

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/03/343.asp

Scientists Invent Undetectable Speed Detector
Military technology is used to create a visually based speed measurement
device.

University of Florida researchers believe they have outwitted the makers of
radar detectors and other speed detection countermeasures. Using a $5
million grant from the Air Force, they've developed software that can use
live video camera footage to recognize objects and measure their speed. It
does so by calculating the distance a car moves in a series of photos
compared to a fixed object -- such as a light pole -- in the background.
Because the system is entirely passive, unlike conventional laser and radar
speed guns, it cannot be detected.

"If it can view the object moving, that's all it needs. The computer figures
out everything else," said Warren Dixon, University of Florida assistant
professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering. "We're trying to use both
regular and infrared cameras, so night or adverse weather conditions don't
present a problem."

The system is similar to the SPECS speed averaging cameras in use in the UK
and Australia. The latter system uses multiple cameras to calculate a car's
speed over a known, fixed distance. The researchers believe they can create
a device has two big advantages over SPECS -- it would be entirely mobile
and it would work with a single camera.

The military continues to be interested in potential applications for the
software. Additional details on their research will be published in the
latest issue of IEEE's Transactions on Robotics and Automation.

Old April 21st 05, 07:54 PM
John F. Carr

In article <1114109169.ad05dd1efaa6ea9818f095d185d4e983@teran ews>,
MidnightDad > wrote:
>http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/03/343.asp
>
>Scientists Invent Undetectable Speed Detector
>Military technology is used to create a visually based speed measurement
>device.

Undetectable camera enforcement systems have existed for over a century.

The question is not can the government monitor every driver's
speed, the question is will the people let the government monitor
every driver's speed.

--
John Carr )
Old April 21st 05, 10:03 PM
Brent P

In article <1114109169.ad05dd1efaa6ea9818f095d185d4e983@teran ews>, MidnightDad wrote:

> compared to a fixed object -- such as a light pole -- in the background.
> Because the system is entirely passive, unlike conventional laser and radar
> speed guns, it cannot be detected.

Wrong. It is electronic, it has some sort of signature that can be
detected. Not economical to detect at the present time is more accurate.

> "If it can view the object moving, that's all it needs. The computer figures
> out everything else," said Warren Dixon, University of Florida assistant
> professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering. "We're trying to use both
> regular and infrared cameras, so night or adverse weather conditions don't
> present a problem."

If there is no greater evidence that the speeding ticket industry is
profitable, it's the existance of this project. Seriously, if it was
about safety, it wouldn't take any special gizmos to convict people. Just
a dash camera on the cop's car showing the ticketed driver driving
unsafely. We only need the gizmos because the violation isn't about
safety, it's about going faster than an arbitary number on a sign.

Old April 21st 05, 10:06 PM
Brent P

In article >, John F. Carr wrote:

> The question is not can the government monitor every driver's
> speed, the question is will the people let the government monitor
> every driver's speed.

The government will not make speeding go away until it is no longer
profitable for them to define the majority of drivers as violators.

Old April 22nd 05, 12:18 AM
James C. Reeves

This isn't new. Cops here have been using helicopters with observers that
measure time a vehicle passes between two painted lines of known distance to
measure speed for decades.

news:1114109169.ad05dd1efaa6ea9818f095d185d4e983@t eranews...

Old April 22nd 05, 12:19 AM
James C. Reeves

"Brent P" > wrote in message
> In article <1114109169.ad05dd1efaa6ea9818f095d185d4e983@teran ews>,
> MidnightDad wrote:
>
>> compared to a fixed object -- such as a light pole -- in the background.
>> Because the system is entirely passive, unlike conventional laser and
>> radar
>> speed guns, it cannot be detected.

> Wrong. It is electronic, it has some sort of signature that can be
> detected. Not economical to detect at the present time is more accurate.

A video camera leaves a electronic signature that can be detected?

Old April 22nd 05, 02:03 AM
Kenneth P. Stox

James C. Reeves wrote:

> A video camera leaves a electronic signature that can be detected?

Sure does. Go read up on what Tempest is and its application for secure
environments.
Old April 22nd 05, 06:32 AM
Paul

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:06:02 -0500, Brent P , said the following in
rec.autos.driving...

> In article >,
> John F. Carr wrote:
>
> > The question is not can the government monitor every driver's
> > speed, the question is will the people let the government monitor
> > every driver's speed.

> The government will not make speeding go away until it is no longer
> profitable for them to define the majority of drivers as violators.

At the risk of sounding like judy, that's why I favor jailing speeders.
Make it start costing these towns money instead of making them money and
watch the speed traps dry up.
Old April 22nd 05, 06:33 AM
Furious George

Paul wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 16:06:02 -0500, Brent P , said the following in
> rec.autos.driving...
>
> > In article >,
> > John F. Carr wrote:
> >
> > > The question is not can the government monitor every driver's
> > > speed, the question is will the people let the government monitor
> > > every driver's speed.

> > The government will not make speeding go away until it is no longer

> > profitable for them to define the majority of drivers as violators.

> At the risk of sounding like judy, that's why I favor jailing

speeders.
> Make it start costing these towns money instead of making them money

and
> watch the speed traps dry up.

It is a good idea.