Sticky clutch pedal (A4)

Old September 30th 04, 03:56 AM
Robert Kidd

Default Sticky clutch pedal (A4)

The clutch pedal in my 2001 Golf TDI feels a little sticky the first few
times I use it in the morning.

A couple months ago, I flushed the clutch fluid. I used a pressure
bleeder on the reservoir and flushed through the bleeder on the slave
cylinder. I replaced the build with Valvoline SynPower. The clutch
felt great for several weeks, but has started to stick with the cooler
weather in the past couple weeks. When I first start the car in the
morning, the pedal feels like it comes up a little slower than normal.
Just as I release the clutch from the floor, there is a slight popping
feeling. I'll occasionally hear a squeak from the pedal the very first
time I release the clutch in the morning. After about 5 releases, the
pedal feels completely normal. The engine doesn't need to be running; I
can pump the pedal 5 times to work out the stickiness before starting
the car. The clutch continues to feel normal until I let the car sit in
a cool place for 8 hours or so.

I've tried a couple things with no real change. I flushed the fluid a
second time. The fluid I took out looked pretty clean. I lubricated
the clutch pedal pivot and the connection between the pedal and the
master cylinder rod, and I greased the joint between the over center
spring and pedal and the point where the cruise control switch hits the
pedal. I don't see any evidence of leaks from the master cylinder under
the dash.

Has anyone seen a problem like this? I could believe a failing master
cylinder, but with no leakage and no problem shifting, I'm not convinced
yet.

Thanks
Robert

Old September 30th 04, 04:52 PM
Brian Running

> The clutch pedal in my 2001 Golf TDI feels a little sticky the first few
> times I use it in the morning.

Robert, I had similar symptoms with my '01 Jetta's clutch, and it turned out
to be a very unlikely thing -- there's a switch on the clutch pedal that
disengages the cruise control, and it had broken, causing a squeak and
causing the pedal to stick. You might want to check that switch. I had
mine replaced and the clutch is smooth as silk.

Old October 1st 04, 01:07 AM
Robert Kidd

In article >,
"Brian Running" > wrote:

> > The clutch pedal in my 2001 Golf TDI feels a little sticky the first few
> > times I use it in the morning.

> Robert, I had similar symptoms with my '01 Jetta's clutch, and it turned out
> to be a very unlikely thing -- there's a switch on the clutch pedal that
> disengages the cruise control, and it had broken, causing a squeak and
> causing the pedal to stick. You might want to check that switch. I had
> mine replaced and the clutch is smooth as silk.

I'll have to take a look at that. I noticed the starter interlock
switch seemed to make a sticky noise as I played with the pedal. The
grease may be getting sticky overnight.

Thanks
Robert

Clutch pedal vibration Norm Honda 0 November 28th 04 02:06 PM
e36 clutch pedal adjustment question P-u-h-e-k BMW 1 October 11th 04 11:41 PM
Clutch pedal effort on 96 Civic Udayan Bhapkar Honda 1 October 11th 04 02:24 PM
Heavy clutch pedal in '86 Turbo Quattro cp Audi 6 October 2nd 04 12:12 AM
Clutch pedal hard to press in hot weather (Alfa 156) Steven Spits Alfa Romeo 1 July 16th 04 12:02 PM