GTR: You must be kidding me

Old December 19th 05, 11:14 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default You must be kidding me

"Larry \(The Other Larry\)" > writes:

> I probably won't get it because of the copy protection.
>
> If they want to protect the CD, fine. We're used to that. But installing
> all sorts of crap on my computer (MY computer) that is not relevent to the
> game is going to far.
>
> Just ask Sony how that's worked out for them.

That probably is the main problem with GTR for most of us, yes.

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old December 19th 05, 11:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default GTR: You must be kidding me

"Steve Simpson" > writes:

> > "Since you know a little about both GPL and GTR maybe you could
> > enlighten
> > me a bit about the online capabilities of GTR?"
> >
> > Sorry, I don't do online. Some people thnk online GTR is bad, some
> > think it's OK. GTLegends is supposedly better online.

> My experiences with all versions of GTR have left a lot to be desired
> online. Cars disappearing, floating, appearing on top of each other
> etc.Some people claim that if you mess around with the client/server
> settings enough you can have some good races. rFactor has been very good
> online for me. I've only had about 30-40 races but haven't had any real
> issues. Never had any problems with GPL either after they released the
> 'disco' patch.

OK. Thanks.

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old December 19th 05, 11:44 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Larry (The Other Larry) wrote:

> If they want to protect the CD, fine. We're used to that. But installing
> all sorts of crap on my computer (MY computer) that is not relevent to the
> game is going to far.

Two separate secret codes to be typed in, the aforementioned crap
installed on my computer, and STILL I'm required to have the CD in the
drive to play. Wow, could you make it a little more inconvenient please?

Don McCorkle
Old December 20th 05, 08:25 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> wrote in message
>> I just got through building my new computer,

> Hmmm, maybe, just maybe, there lies your problem? and maybe, just maybe,
> its not GTR thats at fault here.....?
>
> Maybe, just maybe, you should go back and check your new pc build for
> probs?
>
> Just a suggestion....

This is the fifth computer that I have built. Every other game works just
fine. Controller issues aside, from what I can tell, GTR is an arcade game,
not a simulator. Back to GPL.
Just maybe, you are a wise ass brit ******.

Old December 20th 05, 04:28 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"graycat" > wrote in message
et...

> Just maybe, you are a wise ass brit ******.

You say that as if you consider it a bad thing ?

Old December 20th 05, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Ian P" > writes:

> "graycat" > wrote in message
> et...
>
> > Just maybe, you are a wise ass brit ******.
> >

> You say that as if you consider it a bad thing ?

Best thing I've read this week!

/andreas

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
Old December 21st 05, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> > Maybe, just maybe, you should go back and check your new pc build
> > for
> > probs?
> >
> > Just a suggestion....

> This is the fifth computer that I have built. Every other game works
> just fine. Controller issues aside, from what I can tell, GTR is an
> arcade game, not a simulator. Back to GPL.
> Just maybe, you are a wise ass brit ******.

Ouch! gosh that hurt!

My, my, your parents must be so proud?

And if you really must resort to foul language as an alternative to
reasoned argument, then at least try to get your prose correct. If you
insist on using English (British) terms such as ******, then you should
also use "arse" rather than ass (which is an American term).

*Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/
Old December 21st 05, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> wrote in message
>> > Maybe, just maybe, you should go back and check your new pc build
>> > for
>> > probs?
>> >
>> > Just a suggestion....

>> This is the fifth computer that I have built. Every other game works
>> just fine. Controller issues aside, from what I can tell, GTR is an
>> arcade game, not a simulator. Back to GPL.
>> Just maybe, you are a wise ass brit ******.

> Ouch! gosh that hurt!
>
> My, my, your parents must be so proud?
>
> And if you really must resort to foul language as an alternative to
> reasoned argument, then at least try to get your prose correct. If you
> insist on using English (British) terms such as ******, then you should
> also use "arse" rather than ass (which is an American term).
>

> *Peter* - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergagg/

You are the one who took the first swipe at me. So, kiss my arse.

Old December 21st 05, 06:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

graycat wrote:
> This is the fifth computer that I have built. Every other game works just
> fine. Controller issues aside, from what I can tell, GTR is an arcade game,
> not a simulator. Back to GPL.

graycat - I'm not questioning your expertise. But few people have the
problems with GTR that you do. It's far from an arcade game, and the
physics are far superior to GPL, as they should be after all these
years. Among many other things, the modeling of the tracks surface and
the cars realistic response to bumps are awesome compared to GPL's
rough approximations.

So, no offense intended, it appears that you have a systems problem of
some sort. GTR is well worth sorting it out. I've spent many hours
running GPL but I can't run it any more, the errors in the physics
drive me nuts. Unrealistic response to setup changes (particularly the
Lotus), unrealistic responses to too rapid control inputs, fast setups
that are unrealistically low etc. etc. If you run GTR cars too low,
they bottom out and unload the tires over bumps. They even slow down
due to the drag. Responses to setup changes are sensitive and
realistic. Feed the wheel in too fast and you'll jerk one end or the
other loose.

If you've only tried the old GTR demo, maybe that's the problem. You
could try posting your problem he

http://forum.rscnet.org/forumdisplay...ec287 e&f=542

It's a large and active forum.

Bob

Old December 21st 05, 05:06 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> You are the one who took the first swipe at me. So, kiss my arse.

And there was me, thinking that I was giving you some constructive
advice?

Hardly anyone else in the sim community is having the same problems you
are, and yet you slate GTR in the same breath that you state you have
just built the pc.

It is obvious that you have some sort of hardware or set-up problem.

It is also obvious that there are no major issues with GTR.

When you calm down, take a minute to look at the situation and work it
all out for yourself.