dum dum dum

Old December 30th 08, 09:32 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
A New Day

Default dum dum dum

Coming from the front end of my A4 2.4 V6 SE Sedan at 92k miles. It's more
noticeable at lower speeds around 20/30 mph. It's not so much a noise more a
sound/feeling.

I thought it was a plugged tyre but have had both fronts replaced with new
and still sensing it.

It's just flown through an MOT so cannot believe it's a bearing or drive
coupling.

Belts, water pump and tensioners replaced at 65K.

dj

Old December 31st 08, 12:50 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_3_]

You never know when bearings are going to go out but 92k would be a
point that I would suspect them. The sound you describe would indicate
bearings also.

If you are driving at about 40 mph and turn the steering slightly to
either side and the sound increases then you can pretty much count on it
being bearings.

Old December 31st 08, 05:04 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
A New Day

Thanks, I will do some closer inspection on them.

. ..

Old January 9th 09, 10:10 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
The Brass Turner

"TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in message
. ..
> You never know when bearings are going to go out but 92k would be a point
> that I would suspect them. The sound you describe would indicate bearings
> also.
>
> If you are driving at about 40 mph and turn the steering slightly to
> either side and the sound increases then you can pretty much count on it
> being bearings.
>
> A New Day wrote:
>> Coming from the front end of my A4 2.4 V6 SE Sedan at 92k miles. It's
>> more noticeable at lower speeds around 20/30 mph. It's not so much a
>> noise more a sound/feeling.
>>
>> I thought it was a plugged tyre but have had both fronts replaced with
>> new and still sensing it.
>>
>> It's just flown through an MOT so cannot believe it's a bearing or drive
>> coupling.
>>
>> Belts, water pump and tensioners replaced at 65K.
>>
>> dj

I have only just had the will power to check all bearings outside in
our -3.5C shinny bright but cold UK conditions.

The fronts had no play when turned through all angles and the wheels spun
without a rumble and only a slight rubbing from the pads.

The rears had a smidgen of play (near side more than off) so I gave them one
flat to the next split pin location, not tight, not loose and they run free
with no play.

Could I have been hearing the (a) rear bearings........have yet to do a run
and will report back after.

dj

Old January 9th 09, 12:21 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
The Brass Turner

"The Brass Turner" > wrote in message

> "TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in message
> . ..
>> You never know when bearings are going to go out but 92k would be a point
>> that I would suspect them. The sound you describe would indicate bearings
>> also.
>>
>> If you are driving at about 40 mph and turn the steering slightly to
>> either side and the sound increases then you can pretty much count on it
>> being bearings.
>>
>> A New Day wrote:
>>> Coming from the front end of my A4 2.4 V6 SE Sedan at 92k miles. It's
>>> more noticeable at lower speeds around 20/30 mph. It's not so much a
>>> noise more a sound/feeling.
>>>
>>> I thought it was a plugged tyre but have had both fronts replaced with
>>> new and still sensing it.
>>>
>>> It's just flown through an MOT so cannot believe it's a bearing or drive
>>> coupling.
>>>
>>> Belts, water pump and tensioners replaced at 65K.
>>>
>>> dj
>>>

> I have only just had the will power to check all bearings outside in
> our -3.5C shinny bright but cold UK conditions.
>
> The fronts had no play when turned through all angles and the wheels spun
> without a rumble and only a slight rubbing from the pads.
>
> The rears had a smidgen of play (near side more than off) so I gave them
> one flat to the next split pin location, not tight, not loose and they run
> free with no play.
>
> Could I have been hearing the (a) rear bearings........have yet to do a
> run and will report back after.
>
> dj

NO its not the rear bearings either........must be something in the drive
train. Ah well turn up the music.

Old January 10th 09, 02:48 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_3_]

The Brass Turner wrote:
> "The Brass Turner" > wrote in message
>
>> "TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in message
>> . ..
>>
>>> You never know when bearings are going to go out but 92k would be a point
>>> that I would suspect them. The sound you describe would indicate bearings
>>> also.
>>>
>>> If you are driving at about 40 mph and turn the steering slightly to
>>> either side and the sound increases then you can pretty much count on it
>>> being bearings.

>> I have only just had the will power to check all bearings outside in
>> our -3.5C shinny bright but cold UK conditions.
>>
>> The fronts had no play when turned through all angles and the wheels spun
>> without a rumble and only a slight rubbing from the pads.
>>
>> The rears had a smidgen of play (near side more than off) so I gave them
>> one flat to the next split pin location, not tight, not loose and they run
>> free with no play.
>>
>> Could I have been hearing the (a) rear bearings........have yet to do a
>> run and will report back after.
>>
>> dj
>>

> NO its not the rear bearings either........must be something in the drive
> train. Ah well turn up the music.

Could still be bearing related. I have replaced a number of Audi
bearings and I don't remember play even when they were bad. Still, you
are probably right that they ar not the source of the sound.

Other things to consider are the drive shaft center bearing or loose
worn engine mounts or sway bar connections.

Good luck and keep the music playing.
Old January 10th 09, 03:23 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
TonyJ[_3_]

TonyJ wrote:

> The Brass Turner wrote:
>> "The Brass Turner" > wrote in message
>>
>>> "TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> I have only just had the will power to check all bearings outside in
>>> our -3.5C shinny bright but cold UK conditions.
>>>
>>> The fronts had no play when turned through all angles and the wheels
>>> spun without a rumble and only a slight rubbing from the pads.
>>>
>>> The rears had a smidgen of play (near side more than off) so I gave
>>> them one flat to the next split pin location, not tight, not loose
>>> and they run free with no play.
>>>
>>> Could I have been hearing the (a) rear bearings........have yet to
>>> do a run and will report back after.
>>>
>>> dj
>>>

>> NO its not the rear bearings either........must be something in the
>> drive train. Ah well turn up the music.
>>

> Could still be bearing related. I have replaced a number of Audi
> bearings and I don't remember play even when they were bad. Still, you
> are probably right that they ar not the source of the sound.
>
> Other things to consider are the drive shaft center bearing or loose
> worn engine mounts or sway bar connections.
>
> Good luck and keep the music playing.

Another thought on the bearings. If I understand correctly, you
tightened the center bolt on the axle shaft thinking that you were
tightening tolerance on the bearing race. That would work if these were
tapered bearings but they are not. The bearings are dual race and
tightening the center bolt only increases the tension on the axle but
does not change the bearing race tension so would not have any effect on
sound from a failing bearing.
Old January 10th 09, 07:25 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
The Brass Turner

"TonyJ" <"tonyjnospam at nospam visi.com"> wrote in message

> TonyJ wrote:
>>

>> The Brass Turner wrote:

>>> NO its not the rear bearings either........must be something in the
>>> drive train. Ah well turn up the music.
>>>

>> Could still be bearing related. I have replaced a number of Audi bearings
>> and I don't remember play even when they were bad. Still, you are
>> probably right that they ar not the source of the sound.
>>
>> Other things to consider are the drive shaft center bearing or loose worn
>> engine mounts or sway bar connections.
>>
>> Good luck and keep the music playing.

> Another thought on the bearings. If I understand correctly, you tightened
> the center bolt on the axle shaft thinking that you were tightening
> tolerance on the bearing race. That would work if these were tapered
> bearings but they are not. The bearings are dual race and tightening the
> center bolt only increases the tension on the axle but does not change the
> bearing race tension so would not have any effect on sound from a failing
> bearing.

the picture in the Haynes manual showed the rears as a tapered race. The
front I believe are dual parallel.

Old January 10th 09, 09:18 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Default dum dum dum A4 2.4 V6 SE Sedan

AFAIK
To "accurately" examine the wheel bearings to determine if they are bad, you
should disconnect anything that causes friction with that wheel.
In the rear (non-quattro) you will need to remove the brake pads so you can
spin the wheels while listening to any rotational noise.
In the front you will need to remove caliper (rotor too) and CV Joint so you
can just spin the hub only. You are carefully listening for any rotational
noise along with feeling for the lack of smoothness while turning the hub.

Trained ears can possibly "pinpoint" which wheel is making the noise but I
have found that sometimes noises can be quite deceiving. lol

After some time the noise will get louder and easier to find! ;-)
OR you can change out all bearings and hope that this "shotgun" approach
repairs it!

JMHO
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

snip

Old January 20th 09, 06:01 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
The Brass Turner

"A New Day" > wrote in message
> Coming from the front end of my A4 2.4 V6 SE Sedan at 92k miles. It's more
> noticeable at lower speeds around 20/30 mph. It's not so much a noise more
> a sound/feeling.
>
> I thought it was a plugged tyre but have had both fronts replaced with new
> and still sensing it.
>
> It's just flown through an MOT so cannot believe it's a bearing or drive
> coupling.
>
> Belts, water pump and tensioners replaced at 65K.
>
> dj

further to...I had a mechanic drive it yesterday and he confirmed at least 1
bearing has gone. So I am having both fronts changed today.