I'm sick of hearing about law-abiding gun owners

Old January 5th 13, 02:55 AM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc
Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers

Default I'm sick of hearing about law-abiding gun owners

On Jan 3, 6:24*pm, Alan Baker > wrote:

> I DO ignore speed limits where they are obviously set too low.

Ah yes - that's the standard criminal mentality. I only obey laws i
approve of.
Old January 5th 13, 02:57 AM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc

On Jan 3, 8:25*pm, Alan Baker > wrote:

> That means that most of the time in good weather, I drive faster than
> the speed limit, but I drove a lot slower than the limit in many
> situations.
>
> Haven't you ever wondered yourself how the same speed limit
> (50kph/30mph) can work for both major arterial city routes and narrow
> residential streets?

Yeah - lets let everybody cherrypick the laws they will obey What
could go wrong?
Old January 5th 13, 02:58 AM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc

On Jan 4, 7:33*pm, Alan Baker > wrote:

> I'm smart enough to realize that studies have shown that the speeds that
> most people drive are found to be reasonable when studied objectively...
>
> ...and most people speed.
>
> Amazingly, reasonable people don't need a sign to tell them to act
> reasonably.

So why are nearly 100 people killed on our highways every day???
Old January 5th 13, 03:02 AM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc
Alan Baker

In article
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers" > wrote:

> On Jan 3, 6:24*pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
>

> > I DO ignore speed limits where they are obviously set too low.

> Ah yes - that's the standard criminal mentality. I only obey laws i
> approve of.

No. Not even in the slightest.

There are bad laws. They should be ignored.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 5th 13, 03:02 AM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc
Alan Baker

In article
>,
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers" > wrote:

> On Jan 3, 8:25*pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
>

> > That means that most of the time in good weather, I drive faster than
> > the speed limit, but I drove a lot slower than the limit in many
> > situations.
> >
> > Haven't you ever wondered yourself how the same speed limit
> > (50kph/30mph) can work for both major arterial city routes and narrow
> > residential streets?
> >

> Yeah - lets let everybody cherrypick the laws they will obey What
> could go wrong?

That's the point.

Almost no one breaks any law... ...except the speed limit.

Think about that...

....if thinking is possible for you.

Old January 5th 13, 03:04 AM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc
Alan Baker

In article
>,
"Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers" > wrote:

> On Jan 4, 7:33*pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
> >

> > I'm smart enough to realize that studies have shown that the speeds that
> > most people drive are found to be reasonable when studied objectively...
> >
> > ...and most people speed.
> >
> > Amazingly, reasonable people don't need a sign to tell them to act
> > reasonably.
> >

> So why are nearly 100 people killed on our highways every day???

Because we spend a VERY large amount of time on the highways.

There is risk in driving, and obeying the speed limits wouldn't
eliminate that risk.

Old January 5th 13, 03:16 AM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc
FirstPost

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 18:33:54 -0800, Alan Baker >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Marvin the Martian > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 19:25:42 -0800, Alan Baker wrote:

>> > Nope. Not hardly.
>> >
>> > I drive within the limits of my ability to see and react to changing
>> > conditions.
>> >
>> > That means that most of the time in good weather, I drive faster than
>> > the speed limit, but I drove a lot slower than the limit in many
>> > situations.
>> >
>> > Haven't you ever wondered yourself how the same speed limit
>> > (50kph/30mph) can work for both major arterial city routes and narrow
>> > residential streets?

>> You pledged yourself to follow the laws when you agreed to the license.

>I pledged nothing of the kind.

Actually in most states you do when you get your license.
Just like you agree to "implied consent" which means the cops can pull
you over at any time and check to se if you are under the influence.
Refusal to be tested in most states can and do result in suspension of
the license whether the offender is under the influence or not.
But you do indeed agree (never seen it refer to as pledge) to obey ALL
traffic laws and failure to do so can result in the loss of the
license.
The reason it is always said that driving is a priviledge and not a
right comes from the fact that the states issue the licenses and the
states do have the authority to revoke them at any time they deem
necessary.

I'm not disagreeing with your initial points. Just stating "how the
cow ate the cabbage" so to speak.

>> You're word means nothing, obviously, and that means as a man, you ain't.

>LOL
>

>> Just another asshole sociopath.
>>
>> Fact is, speed limits are not just about you. They're about the other
>> guy, too. He needs to know that some DUMB ASS speeder isn't going to come
>> flying over the hill when he pulls into traffic. Speed limits are also
>> about making it possible for people to pull out into traffic by spacing
>> the traffic out with stop signs and stop lights.
>>
>> But no, YOU'RE too "smart" for that.

>I'm smart enough to realize that studies have shown that the speeds that
>most people drive are found to be reasonable when studied objectively...
>
>...and most people speed.
>
>Amazingly, reasonable people don't need a sign to tell them to act
>reasonably.

The reality is that most police departments whether they be municipal,
county or state highway patrol rarely ever cite drivers for doing 10
mph over the limit or less.
In most of the southern states (where I do most of my driving these
days) 20mph or greater above the posted limit carries a criminal
charge of wreckless driving and offenders are often jailed and their
vehicles impounded for it.
But typically, unless you're driving through some podunk town like
Somerville Tenn with a 30mph speed limit on hwy 64, a 4 lane, that
runs through the town you usually have at least a 10mph grace.
Usually because most police see it as a waste of time and money to
bust someone for such a low fine offense that may just be the result
of them not checking their speedometer enough.
On a good road my truck feels like it's doing maybe 45 when I may be
going as fast as 60 due to it being a later model that still has "that
new vehicle ride" feel to it.
BTW, stay away from Somerville if you are ever on hwy 64 as the one
time I was ticketed there it was for 4 miles over the limit and the
fine was $92.
The clerk told me I should fight it in court until I informed her that
I had Shelby County tags and she then simply said "Oh, well that'll be
$92.00 payable to the Fayette County Justice Court."
But I digress.
Cops are obviously aware that people will often drive at the speed
they are comfortable with and rarely ticket those driving a few miles
over the limit.
Here Tennessee State Troopers will tell you that they are out there to
help make the road safer, not to write tickets.

Old January 5th 13, 04:30 AM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc
SaPeIsMa

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers" > wrote in
message

#
# So why are nearly 100 people killed on our highways every day???
#

All kinds of reasons.
Inattention,
Falling asleep
Poor skills

etc,

When the double-nickel was dropped, speed increased, accidents fell..

Old January 5th 13, 05:51 AM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc
Scout

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers" > wrote in
message
> On Jan 3, 6:24 pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
>

>> I DO ignore speed limits where they are obviously set too low.

> Ah yes - that's the standard criminal mentality. I only obey laws i
> approve of.

No, that's the mindset of a free man.

Only a slave never questions, challenges or ignores the rules imposed upon
them.

Old January 5th 13, 05:51 AM posted to alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,rec.autos.driving,talk.politics.guns,alt.politics,talk.politics.misc
Scout

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers Are Murderers" > wrote in
message
> On Jan 3, 8:25 pm, Alan Baker > wrote:
>

>> That means that most of the time in good weather, I drive faster than
>> the speed limit, but I drove a lot slower than the limit in many
>> situations.
>>
>> Haven't you ever wondered yourself how the same speed limit
>> (50kph/30mph) can work for both major arterial city routes and narrow
>> residential streets?
>>

> Yeah - lets let everybody cherrypick the laws they will obey What
> could go wrong?

A free society?

I can see why you would fear that.