Help : Replacing headlight bulbs in 98 Civic

Old January 14th 06, 06:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Help : Replacing headlight bulbs in 98 Civic

Quick question for anyone who could help. The passenger side bulb of my
headlight burnt out 1 yr ago and then driver side one burnt out
recently. I replaced both and they're working fine however, they don't
seem to be seated properly. Because they're not seated all the way in,
the light beam is directed far to high acting like hi-beams. There's a
piece of metal that I think is supposed to act like a retention spring
but I don't know how it's supposed to fit on the back rubber cover.
Took it to Firestone and they couldn't figure it out either, suggesting
that I take it to a Honda dealer. Anyone with any ideas?

Old January 15th 06, 02:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"Yuyu" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Quick question for anyone who could help. The passenger side bulb of my
> headlight burnt out 1 yr ago and then driver side one burnt out
> recently. I replaced both and they're working fine however, they don't
> seem to be seated properly. Because they're not seated all the way in,
> the light beam is directed far to high acting like hi-beams. There's a
> piece of metal that I think is supposed to act like a retention spring
> but I don't know how it's supposed to fit on the back rubber cover.
> Took it to Firestone and they couldn't figure it out either, suggesting
> that I take it to a Honda dealer. Anyone with any ideas?

I suspect you've got the bulb rotated wrongly.

The bulb housing has three unevenly-spaced tabs on it that fit into
recesses in the reflector. Have you made sure the bulb is rotated so that
all three tabs are seated in their respective recesses?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 15th 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

TeGGeR® wrote:
> "Yuyu" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>
>> Quick question for anyone who could help. The passenger side bulb of my
>> headlight burnt out 1 yr ago and then driver side one burnt out
>> recently. I replaced both and they're working fine however, they don't
>> seem to be seated properly. Because they're not seated all the way in,
>> the light beam is directed far to high acting like hi-beams. There's a
>> piece of metal that I think is supposed to act like a retention spring
>> but I don't know how it's supposed to fit on the back rubber cover.
>> Took it to Firestone and they couldn't figure it out either, suggesting
>> that I take it to a Honda dealer. Anyone with any ideas?
>>

> I suspect you've got the bulb rotated wrongly.
>
> The bulb housing has three unevenly-spaced tabs on it that fit into
> recesses in the reflector. Have you made sure the bulb is rotated so that
> all three tabs are seated in their respective recesses?

could maybe be the wrong bulb entirely? dunno.

when the low beams crapped out on my suzuki burgman, some research told
me that regular auto bulbs would work. H4 instead of H1 or something to
that effect. but the H4 bulbs had to have the tabs bent back down in
order to fit flushly. and they do! 55/55w instead of 35/35. im guessing
the wire gauge is adequate for the load.

and only $15/pr vs. $75 EACH from the dealer!

Civic headlight replace? BE Honda 13 December 15th 05 06:46 PM
Honda OEM Parts Catalogs for Sale Joe Honda 0 February 12th 05 01:43 PM
GE Nighthawk Headlight Bulbs uniseriate Driving 16 January 14th 05 01:18 AM
Replacing Headlight Assembly on 1996 Civic Roy Honda 2 October 18th 04 04:42 PM