Vibration

Old November 6th 04, 05:02 PM
Scott

Default Vibration

Hello,

I just had a new oil pan installed on my 1996 Saturn SC2. The drain in my
old one was stripped, so I was using rubber plugs, which I don't like, so I
had a new pan installed. Anyway, when I got my car back, it vibrates like
crazy now, especially when I am still, like at a traffic light, or in a
drive-thru. It also seems like it has lost power. What could have caused
this change, and what can I do to correct it? I wouldn't think a new oil
pan could cause this.

Thanks! You guys are the best.

Scott

Old November 6th 04, 11:15 PM
Bob Shuman

I doubt very much that this problem is the oil pan itself. More likely the
mechanic took something else off to get access and then forgot to reconnect.
Another remote possibility is the mechanic disconnected the battery and the
computer needs to re-learn the engine. If it does not get better in a day
or two I'd take it back and ask whoever did the work to check it out and see
if there is a vacuum hose or electrical connector they did not get back in
place properly.

Bob

nk.net...

Old November 6th 04, 11:39 PM
Matt hotmail

check oil?

Old November 7th 04, 03:18 AM
Shawn

I would say it is a motor mount. They have to let this go in order to jack
up the motor to get the old oil pan back out. Maybe they never tightened up
enough. This would cause the motor to shake and this would cause the car to
shake, especiallt at idle. The mirrors would shake. Let me know if this is
the problem.

nk.net...

Old November 9th 04, 01:46 PM
Barry Schnoor

I'd guess motor mount, too.

Even if the mechanic caused the problem by not tightening after the pan
replacement, it's probably time to change it anyway. 8 years is about as
long as they'll last.

Do you think you could split the difference with the mechanic?

Good luck.