Intermittent engine stalling, v 2

Old August 15th 05, 02:09 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

> The major grounds are on
> >the head near the former location of the throttle body,

> There is a ground strap there? Or just grounded wires?

It's a ring terminal on a thick wire sprouting from the harness. It
mounts to a stud on top of the very front of the head on the intake
side. Right next to the ISC, if you still have one there.

You'd think that one solid system ground would be enough, but it's not.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old August 17th 05, 12:47 AM
Leon van Dommelen

Lanny Chambers > wrote:

>In article >,
> (Leon van Dommelen) wrote:
>
>> The major grounds are on
>> >the head near the former location of the throttle body,

>> There is a ground strap there? Or just grounded wires?

>It's a ring terminal on a thick wire sprouting from the harness. It
>mounts to a stud on top of the very front of the head on the intake
>side. Right next to the ISC, if you still have one there.

I cleaned them this morning. They were very clean, though. I did
rearrange another earth that was on it to make the primary connection
somewhat better. But it did not seem that was a likely culprit. I
also cleaned some other connections and made a connection more secure.
None of it seemed a problem, though.

So I started the car and fiddled with all wires and connectors below the
hood that I could see. Nothing produced the slightest hesitation,
though shocks while driving do cause hesitations. So I put the passenger
seat forward and feel the wires coming out of the Link ECU. Bingo.
Instant engine stall.

Presumably, a pin from one of the connectors has come loose. To install
the ECU, we had to take every single pin out of the existing Mazda ECU
connectors and put them in Link connectors, about 50 of them. (Well,
Hector did; if I would have to do it, it would have been a disaster. I
would not have gotten the ECU if I would have recognized the crazy amount
of rewiring needed beforehand.)

Anyway, I cannot find the wire with the problem. The pins seem to be all
in the connectors correctly by visual inspection. I managed to get the
pin of the wire I suspected first out of the connector with a very tiny
electronics screwdriver, but it seems to be perfectly fine. I did not
manage to get the pin of the wire that I suspected second out of the
connector and in any case, that wire does not seem to be the one either
on further examination. Nor could I see a problem.

The bottom line is that I pressed every pin down as far as I could in the
connectors and seem to have made the problem worse. I now have to press
hard on the connectors to prevent the Link ECU from outputting garbage.
So I am wondering whether I am not barking up the wrong tree, and whether
there might be invisible damage of the circuit board or a broken wire.
Of course, if the latter is the case, all hope is lost. There is no
way I am going to find a broken wire among a bundle of 50 of them. Or
replace them all.

Anyway, next in with the multimeter to test 50 pins and hope that they do
not reconnect when the ECU is in a position that I can get at both ends.

Leon

http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old August 18th 05, 01:25 AM
Leon van Dommelen

(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

Update: all the pins had continuity, but the thing was no longer
working at all. Eventually, I discovered that if I put the right
kind of pressure on the circuit board, the thing would come back.

Further research allowed me to restore the car to operational
condition by clamping a plastic screw driver between board and CPU
box in the right place, screwing the box down with just enough
force, and then screwing the box on the rear wall using a washer
between one of the legs to provide just enough torsion. Doing
that actually allowed the wires to be moved quite freely without
stalling the car. Which makes it pretty clear that the problem
is the ECU, and not the connectors or wires after all.

Fortunately, it appears that Flyin Miata has some sort of capability
of diagnosing the boards and repairing bad solders or whatever.
If not, I guess it is either another $1,500 ECU, presumably much more
than the market value of the car, or trying to continue with a plastic
screwdriver-clamped torsion-boxed ECU.

The latter worked quite well for doing early weekend shopping before
taking out the ECU to mail to FM. So I am wondering how long a
screw-drivered, torsion boxed Link ECU might last? Anybody wants to
offer any guesses? I am worrying vibration may deteriorate it further
over time.

Old August 18th 05, 05:17 PM
Dale

I think i sean a used EC on Ebay this week 25.00 look under ebay auto's and
then go to the parts and then I do Mazda Miata and thats how i look for my
parts
news

Old August 19th 05, 12:00 AM
Leon van Dommelen

"Dale" > wrote:

>I think i sean a used EC on Ebay this week 25.00 look under ebay auto's and
>then go to the parts and then I do Mazda Miata and thats how i look for my
>parts

Thanks, but my ECU connectors are rewired and only a Link will fit.

Nobody in their right mind is going to put all those pins back into stock
connectors. I know I am not.