Replacing the Ignition Cables

Old September 20th 05, 08:41 PM
josh

Default Replacing the Ignition Cables

Hello,

I have a '94 miata which has a rough idle and slow response at lower
RPMs. Since I have had the car for 45,000 miles and have not replaced
the ignition cables yet, I think I will try replacing them and see if
it fixes the problem. Can anybody describe how to replace them? Is it
as simple as unplugging the old ones are replacing them with the new
ones?

Thanks,
Josh

Old September 20th 05, 09:03 PM
Chuck

It's fairly simple. However, new plugs are also in order. You can order both
at a discount from www.trussvillemazda.com (I think thats the current
address)
Ask for NGK plugs and the "blue" ignition wires for your year.
You will also need silicon grease to reseal the boot to valve cover area and
the top of the coils to lead areas.
Look at www.miata.net for many tips etc.

oups.com...

Old September 20th 05, 10:05 PM
Zog The Undeniable

josh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a '94 miata which has a rough idle and slow response at lower
> RPMs. Since I have had the car for 45,000 miles and have not replaced
> the ignition cables yet, I think I will try replacing them and see if
> it fixes the problem. Can anybody describe how to replace them? Is it
> as simple as unplugging the old ones are replacing them with the new
> ones?

Yes, it is. Just make sure they are in the right order or the engine
will either not start at all or will run like a bag of nails! My 5 had
its original leads after 59,000 miles and I had to lever the old ones
off the coil because they were corroded on. Expect them to put up a bit
of a fight ;-)
Old September 21st 05, 04:59 AM
KWS

Make a simple diagram of what plug cables to which socket on the ignition
coil. It's easy...there's only four of them. Replacing them one at a time is
another way to stay out of trouble.

If you are changing the plugs, use a torque wrench to install them and
anti-seize compound on the threads.

Ken

Old September 23rd 05, 02:54 AM
alex