Is it possible to ADD the DVD navigation??

Old September 6th 06, 02:10 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Nobody

Default Is it possible to ADD the DVD navigation??

If the only car available in the color I want is one without navigation, is
it possible for the dealer to add the factory original in dash OEM DVD
navigation system?

Another option I'm curious about being dealer installable or end user
installable is xenon headlights. Is this just a matter of ordering up the
xenon lights off the net and putting them in myself? or is there different
wiring, any electronics anywhere, any difference in the dashboard icons,
etc?

Just out of curiousity, and this is probably a stupid idea that might hurt
the value of the car, but is it possible to change the color of the car very
easily? I mean, to get a factory quality paint finish would likely mean
disassembling the car down to the frame right? probably not a good idea?

Old September 6th 06, 02:52 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Nobody" > wrote
> If the only car available in the color I want is one without navigation,
> is it possible for the dealer to add the factory original in dash OEM DVD
> navigation system?

I don't believe that you can add it, since nav requires iDrive, and a
different wiring harness.

> Another option I'm curious about being dealer installable or end user
> installable is xenon headlights. Is this just a matter of ordering up the
> xenon lights off the net and putting them in myself? or is there different
> wiring, any electronics anywhere, any difference in the dashboard icons,
> etc?

Xenon is not really addable. It requires the headlight washers, a different
wiring harness and power supply, and a completely different headlight
assembly because of the bi-xenon feature. There are ways to do it,
but it wouldn't be legal and probably wouldn't provide better illumination
than the halogens.

> Just out of curiousity, and this is probably a stupid idea that might hurt
> the value of the car, but is it possible to change the color of the car
> very easily? I mean, to get a factory quality paint finish would likely
> mean disassembling the car down to the frame right? probably not a good
> idea?

Definitely not a good idea. Definitely expensive - I would guess over $10K.

FloydR

Old September 6th 06, 03:32 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
pltrgyst[_1_]

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 18:52:07 -0700, "Floyd Rogers" >
wrote:

>Xenon is not really addable. It requires the headlight washers, a different
>wiring harness and power supply, and a completely different headlight
>assembly because of the bi-xenon feature...

Is that rue on all models? Our Bimmer has bi-xenon and no washers.

-- Larry
Old September 6th 06, 03:41 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"pltrgyst" > wrote
> "Floyd Rogers" > wrote:
>
>>Xenon is not really addable. It requires the headlight washers, a
>>different
>>wiring harness and power supply, and a completely different headlight
>>assembly because of the bi-xenon feature...

> Is that rue on all models? Our Bimmer has bi-xenon and no washers.

Well, US law doesn't require headlight washers, however you should
have them and the auto-leveling adjustment hardware that is part of
the OEM Xenon lights. Otherwise you risk exposing others to very
high (and illegal) levels of glare. All European cars have to have those
features for that reason. I know that some US cars don't have the washers.

I am not aware of *ANY* aftermarket headlight that has those.
And if you bought the OEM parts, you're probably in $2500.

FloydR

Old September 6th 06, 03:41 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Nobody

"Floyd Rogers" > wrote in message
> "Nobody" > wrote
>> If the only car available in the color I want is one without navigation,
>> is it possible for the dealer to add the factory original in dash OEM DVD
>> navigation system?

> I don't believe that you can add it, since nav requires iDrive, and a
> different wiring harness.
>> Another option I'm curious about being dealer installable or end user
>> installable is xenon headlights. Is this just a matter of ordering up the
>> xenon lights off the net and putting them in myself? or is there
>> different wiring, any electronics anywhere, any difference in the
>> dashboard icons, etc?

> Xenon is not really addable. It requires the headlight washers, a
> different
> wiring harness and power supply, and a completely different headlight
> assembly because of the bi-xenon feature. There are ways to do it,
> but it wouldn't be legal and probably wouldn't provide better illumination
> than the halogens.
>
>> Just out of curiousity, and this is probably a stupid idea that might
>> hurt the value of the car, but is it possible to change the color of the
>> car very easily? I mean, to get a factory quality paint finish would
>> likely mean disassembling the car down to the frame right? probably not a
>> good idea?

> Definitely not a good idea. Definitely expensive - I would guess over
> $10K.
>
> FloydR

Thanks for the info Floyd. Kind of disappointing news on all three fronts.
Argh... ...

I'm surprised the Xenons are so much hassle to add. I thought I saw xenon
conversion kits on the net. I found this website
(http://www.koperformance.com/BMW/lig...lips_bulbs.htm)
but I remember reading somewhere about halogen to xenon conversion kits,
that they aren't true xenons because they dont change the reflectors,
lenses, etc. That it just gives you the look of xenon without really being
xenon.

Since I see that a lot of the features are impossible to add, Is it possible
for the dealer to install the upgraded 19" wheels? (going from non 19"
wheels) Just asking on this because obviously the wheel circumference will
change throwing off the odometer and speedometer, etc. Can the dealer
recalibrate? Or are there also gear/axle differences?

Old September 6th 06, 04:11 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 19:41:53 -0700, "Nobody" > wrote:

>Thanks for the info Floyd. Kind of disappointing news on all three fronts.
>Argh... ...

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what the hell. Why not just bite
the bullet and wait the time the dealer needs to get the car with
exactly the spec. you want from another dealer?

I've done it twice in the last 10 years, admittedly not with BMW
dealers (but car dealers are car dealers), and all it cost me was 2 or
3 weeks wait each time.
--
Dan.
Old September 6th 06, 04:39 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Nobody

> Maybe this is a dumb question, but what the hell. Why not just bite
> the bullet and wait the time the dealer needs to get the car with
> exactly the spec. you want from another dealer?
>
> I've done it twice in the last 10 years, admittedly not with BMW
> dealers (but car dealers are car dealers), and all it cost me was 2 or
> 3 weeks wait each time.

Believe me, I would if it were that easy . Except that the car in question
(the M3) was discontinued a month ago. I've ordered an in production car
before and it took about 2 weeks. A guy I know ordered an M3, and it took
about a month.

Now why do I want a discontinued model when the new M3 is due in < 6 months?
Because the new M3 will have a new body style that'll be ugly as all hell
and cost about $5k - $7k more.

Old September 6th 06, 04:45 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Nobody" > wrote
> I'm surprised the Xenons are so much hassle to add. I thought I saw xenon
> conversion kits on the net. I found this website
> (http://www.koperformance.com/BMW/lig...lips_bulbs.htm)
> but I remember reading somewhere about halogen to xenon conversion kits,
> that they aren't true xenons because they dont change the reflectors,
> lenses, etc. That it just gives you the look of xenon without really being
> xenon.

Yes. It appears from the website and limited info there, that this is
strictly
a bulb replacement kit. That's a very bad idea, because the foci,
reflectors
etc. of the halogens don't match what is needed for Xenon. Check out
Daniel Stern's website for more specific info and reasons not to use these:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/. He's about the best there is at this
subject - you can also google groups (here in AAB and in rec.autos.driving)
for his posts on the subjects.

> Since I see that a lot of the features are impossible to add, Is it
> possible for the dealer to install the upgraded 19" wheels? (going from
> non 19" wheels) Just asking on this because obviously the wheel
> circumference will change throwing off the odometer and speedometer, etc.
> Can the dealer recalibrate? Or are there also gear/axle differences?

Wheels are easy. When you go to a larger diameter wheel, you get a
lower profile tire. For instance, on the 2001 model years to go from
a 16" to 17" wheel you go from a 225/50R16 to a 225/45R17; this
keeps the overall diameter of the tire the same. Go to www.tirerack.com
and poke around, look for the "Plus Concept" in their tech section.

FloydR

Old September 6th 06, 12:53 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dean Dark

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 20:39:20 -0700, "Nobody" > wrote:

>Believe me, I would if it were that easy . Except that the car in question
>(the M3) was discontinued a month ago. I've ordered an in production car
>before and it took about 2 weeks. A guy I know ordered an M3, and it took
>about a month.

It's maybe still be worth a try though.

I bought a T*y*t* MR2 for SWMBO after they'd been discontinued in the
US, and when the local T*y*t* dealer finally realized I wasn't going
to buy the white one he had on his lot, he got exactly the desired
spec. car from another dealer 400 miles away.
--
Dan.
Old September 6th 06, 01:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Nobody wrote:

> Believe me, I would if it were that easy . Except that the car in question
> (the M3) was discontinued a month ago. I've ordered an in production car
> before and it took about 2 weeks. A guy I know ordered an M3, and it took
> about a month.

So you're looking for an E46 M3? All have Xenons I thought and the
later ones have bi-xenons. I'm pretty sure that adding i-xenons is
possible (well of course it's possible).

Navigation can be retrofitted but it's costly. Even the wiring looms
are $$$. There's probably more to it than adding xenons. You'll get
a better functioning unit by going aftermarket though. Search on the
net for navigation retrofit.

Resprays won't hurt provided the color is nicer than before, the job is
done well and you have pictures of the process to show potential buyers
that it wasn't done as a result of accident damage. I mean, if you buy
say a white M3 you can only add value by respraying it :-)