New tires for 318ti

Old February 14th 05, 05:50 AM

Default New tires for 318ti

Hello to all. I am new to this forum. I just picked up a 1998
318ti a couple days ago. It came with a set of 205/60R 15 91H
Goodyears that are about ready for replacement. The car will be
used mainly for recreation and I particularly appreciate its good
handling. Thirty years ago I drove an Alfetta and when I switched to
Pirelli's, the handling and the ride improved a lot. I did some
looking on line tonight trying to compare tires and a tire that seems
to come up highly rated for the price is the BFGoodrich Traction T/A
H. I hope someone in this newsgroup may have experience with good or
bad tires for this vehicle. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Columbus, Ohio
Old February 16th 05, 08:45 PM
HangaS

I have fitted my '95 316i with A539 Yokohamas
Its not confort oriented as it is a somewhat "hard" tyre. But is not
*that* bad.
I really like the feel of this tyres on the steering wheel and its
extraordinary cornering grip.

This brand of tyres is probably not very common in America, but here in
europe is quite known.

HangaS,
Portugal

Old February 16th 05, 09:53 PM
Jeff Strickland

"HangaS" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have fitted my '95 316i with A539 Yokohamas
> Its not confort oriented as it is a somewhat "hard" tyre. But is not
> *that* bad.
> I really like the feel of this tyres on the steering wheel and its
> extraordinary cornering grip.
>
> This brand of tyres is probably not very common in America, but here in
> europe is quite known.

That is not true, we have a wide selection of Yokohama tires over here.

Old February 17th 05, 01:09 AM
Bill K. Sydney AU

> wrote in message
news
> Hello to all. I am new to this forum. I just picked up a 1998
> 318ti a couple days ago. It came with a set of 205/60R 15 91H
> Goodyears that are about ready for replacement. The car will be
> used mainly for recreation and I particularly appreciate its good
> handling. Thirty years ago I drove an Alfetta and when I switched to
> Pirelli's, the handling and the ride improved a lot. I did some
> looking on line tonight trying to compare tires and a tire that seems
> to come up highly rated for the price is the BFGoodrich Traction T/A
> H. I hope someone in this newsgroup may have experience with good or
> bad tires for this vehicle. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
> Thanks.
>

> Columbus, Ohio

My E36 Compact had Pirelli P4000 tires on it when I bought it used. With
only 45,000km on the clock I have to believe that they were the BMW factory
basic tires for the Australian market. I replaced them at about 80,000 km
with the P6000 that has replaced the P4000 in Pirelli's line-up. They are
highly rated in the magazine comparison reviews, especially braking in the
rain, and they aren't priced outrageously. Pirelli even make a performance
all-season version, for Ohio winters... Kumho tires from Korea make a good
P6000 knock-off, only cheaper. Surprisingly enough they also compared well
in the reviews.My father-in-law bought them for his car, FWIW.

Have a look at http://www.tirerack.com/ for comprehensive info. I'm NOT
associated with them, I live in Australia. When I lived in the USA I was
delighted with the BFGoodrich Sport Truck Radial T/A tires I bought for my
1974 Chevrolet C20 pickup, but that's another story altogether.

Old February 17th 05, 05:23 AM
Jeff Mayner

HangaS wrote:
> I have fitted my '95 316i with A539 Yokohamas
> Its not confort oriented as it is a somewhat "hard" tyre. But is not
> *that* bad.
> I really like the feel of this tyres on the steering wheel and its
> extraordinary cornering grip.
>
> This brand of tyres is probably not very common in America, but here
> in europe is quite known.

Big Brand sells 'em. A lot of other brick and morter places as well.

Jeff

Old February 20th 05, 07:38 PM

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Fritz Wagner

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:09:18 +1100, "Bill K. Sydney AU"