what are the most common causes of A/C problems?

Old April 13th 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default what are the most common causes of A/C problems?

The A/C on my Mazda protege works, but I have a feeling its not cold
enough. What could be wrong? can I fix it myself? how much it costs?

Old April 13th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> The A/C on my Mazda protege works, but I have a feeling its not cold
> enough. What could be wrong? can I fix it myself? how much it costs?

Probably the biggest single failure in air conditioning units is loss of
refrigerant charge.

After that, there is a long line of defects which can cause a failure to
cool properly.

If you dont know what you are doing, you are probably well advised to take
the car to
a competent mechanic.

If you want to buy a charge kit with a simple pressure gauge, you might be
able to
"top up" your refrigerant charge, and it might return the car to normal
cooling, for a while.

A kit like this is probably less than $25. It is a simple task, but if you
dont know what you
are doing, you can spend your money and still not get a fix. At worst case,
you can hurt
yourself.

Common Problems s[_1_] BMW 5 August 16th 06 02:45 PM
Whats the common name for this...? [email protected] BMW 1 June 1st 06 04:06 PM
Common problems with Wheel Cylinders ? Denny B Technology 8 July 3rd 05 10:44 PM
Common Cause - Just zis Website fbloogyudsr Driving 38 June 2nd 05 06:44 AM
Most common wheels on 97 528? Stan Dowiat BMW 0 March 17th 05 10:57 PM