"King Of The Road" Returns With 540HP

Old April 5th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Default "King Of The Road" Returns With 540HP

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, Nicholas Anthony wrote:
>
>> As I've mentioned before I really don't think it's as much of Ford's fault
>> as you think. I bet Shelby is dictating they only produce "x" amount of cars
>> with his name on it. IMO Ford should just reduce him to a tuner car but
>> unfortunately with their history and consumer demand it wont happen. Ford
>> should pick up Roush as he doesnt seem to be as greedy. I never see Jack
>> Roush charge for a signature were as Shelby charges you for everything!

> I would think shelby would just charge ford per car.

I'm fairly sure this is the case. If anything Shelby might want more
cars sold because it means more money in his pocket.
Old April 6th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
> Nicholas Anthony wrote:
>> "Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
>>

>I'm sure Ford and the dealers are cleaning up on the GT500 but, IMO, this
>will cost them loyal customers in the long term. It's just another example
>of why Toyota is cleaning their clock in sales and market share. I wonder
>how many people were sitting back and waiting for the price of the GT500s
>to get near MSRP (as Ford promised them it would) to buy one and now that
>they can't have decided to market the Mustang completely off their list,
>even the GT. You can count me in this crowd and I think there are more like
>me than Ford realizes. It makes me wonder if this is some of the reason
>Mustang sales numbers are dropping like a rock.

This is the truth, if I could have ordered my 2007 Shelby GT500 for MSRP
last fall, My wife and I would each be driving a new 2007 Ford right now.
As it is we are shopping for her car everywhere else, (thanks in no small
part to another stupid move by the re-badge idiots at FoMoCo, 500/Taurus)
and I am now SERIOUSLY considering a new Corvette...

Ford Motor Company has incompetently dropped the ball (yet again) on this
2007 Shelby GT500, possibly the final straw that drives this life long Ford
fanatic away for good.

Old April 6th 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"Nicholas Anthony" > wrote in message

> "Brent P" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> In article >, Nicholas Anthony wrote:
>>> sticker from what I read is going to be close to $50k. Now please tell
>>> me
>>> were on earth are you going to find a production vehicle with that much
>>> hp
>>> for so little a price?

>> Nowhere. Because you won't get one with less than $10-25K dealer markup.

> What price is Ford selling it for??? You don't have to pay a mark up, just
> dont expect to get one if there is a demand which drives up the price. And
> if you could afford it would you want everyone else to have one too?

YES, Why not? Does that distorted line of thought enter into the standard
4.6 GT owners purchase plans too?

> You are paying a premium to have something rare and set apart from the
> rest. It's an investment and pretty good one too.

No I want it for the car, alone, not the exclusivity or the collector value.
Those IDIOTS are the ones contributing to this problem. I've building home
built Ford Hot Rods since the '70s, I want an opportunity to by a factory
500 horsepower Ford built Hotrod, and drive the **** out of it! Hopefully
it will be totally worn out and all used up the day I die.

>>> Would you rather Ford charge over $100k just so the
>>> market doesnt adjust the price at the dealership?

>> Actually, what difference does it make to a buyer who gets the money? Do
>> I care if it's the dealership or ford? Not really. Although Ford
>> advertising a car for an MSRP $20K less than it actually sells doesn't
>> make for a happy customer base.

This is the point! I could pay cash (even with the markup) for this car,
BUT I REFUSE to get ripped off by a bunch of short sighted greedy car
dealers. And that Ford does not step up production to eliminate this greedy
customer abuse is the last nudge I need to push me into a Corvette!

> Ford doesnt set a mark up on the price, the consumers do. You have people
> willing to pay so much more that drives the prices up.

Wrong! Ford has totally control. Anyone who says otherwise is full of
****. It is impossible to over price sell and deliver a car Ford will not
ship to you...

>>> Or better yet flood the
>>> market with these cars so there is nothing special or unique to them and
>>> we
>>> complain that everyone has a "me too".

>> The old 'exclusivity' argument. It's a manufacturered product, there is
>> ultimately nothing about it that makes its owner special. If you want
>> something special have a one of a kind car built for yourself or build it
>> yourself. Then you have something special

> What is "Special" is defined by an individual. From your statement an old
> '67 Shelby was a manufactured product so it shouldnt be special. The way
> the system works is if you have the money you get what you want and what
> you feel is special.
>

>>> Those of us who remember in the late
>>> 80's the insurance companies tend to jump in and ruin things too. Lets
>>> face
>>> it all I here is a bunch of people complaining cause they want the car
>>> but
>>> cant afford it so they will drop their loyalty to Ford cause of this,
>>> does
>>> that make sense?

>> The 'SUV jealously' argument. It has nothing to do with what I or anyone
>> else can afford. I could go out right now and out bid any reasonably
>> thinking person for a new GT500 mustang by thinking unreasonably. The
>> question is, do I want to pay upwards of $70K for powerful mustang. No.
>> Base Porsche 911 money for a mustang? not bloody likely.

> Were did this SUV jealousy come from??? We are talking about a Shelby
> GT500KR. If you like to draw an anology please explain yourself better
> about the SUV jealousy so others can relate to what you are talking about.
> In regards to what someone is willing to pay for a Mustang is only your
> opinion and based upon what people have been spending I would say contrary
> there are many people willing to pay more, atm 10k people on the GT500
> alone.
>

>> The brand loyalty comes from being treated fairly and honestly in
>> addition to getting good product. Ford is not living up to its end here.

> There is nothing unfair or dishonest happening here. We are all getting
> something. It would be unfair if Ford sold a car you were in contract
> with. It would be dishonest if they changed the price on a car after you
> agreed to take it. $50k Mustangs are steep but you can still get a less
> expensive one. Trying to tell Ford you want something for nothing isnt
> fair on your part. Again the market adjustment brought up the price not
> Ford. Ford doesnt even see the profit.

Which makes this greedy customer abuse even more stupid from Fords
perspective! Bump up production, Fords money is being made on volume sales
now, the R&D and set up costs have already been paid. Every Shelby GT500
they don't sell NOW at MSRP to a buyer ready to buy, is money out of Fords
pockets...

There is no up side for Ford letting their dealer network do this ****.

>>> Not to me it doesnt unless its a quality issue, producing
>>> the cars we want them to produce at a low production is no new game for
>>> any
>>> manufacturer so you are just jumping from one to another. Just remember
>>> steed for every need and an aftermarket that will set you apart.

>> And with that, you destroy your exclusivity argument for a GT500.

> Scratches head??? Are you saying a GT500 is no longer exclusive because
> Ford makes a few different types of Mustang's and has an aftermarket? When
> you sell roughly 200k Mustangs making some specialty models is exclusive
> and with an aftermarket you can make something individualized as well.

This "exclusivity argument" is a bunch of crap anyway. Some of us just want
to drive it! Besides, they have art & baseball cards and other crap for
collecting.

Old April 6th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article <mZyRh.32$ok6.3@trnddc07>, My Name Is Nobody wrote:

> I could pay cash (even with the markup) for this car,
> BUT I REFUSE to get ripped off by a bunch of short sighted greedy car
> dealers.

Exactly. Same here. Plus, the car just isn't worth that much money.

> And that Ford does not step up production to eliminate this greedy
> customer abuse is the last nudge I need to push me into a Corvette!

It also serves to blow the 'exclusivity' argument out of the water
because with the added price, one could get a car that will be more
exclusive to anyone who isn't into cars. The GT500 is going to look like
just another mustang to most people. Most people won't know it's anything
special. If someone wanted exclusivity and to show off, the GT500 really
isn't the car.

Old April 7th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

My Name Is Nobody wrote:
> "Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
>> Nicholas Anthony wrote:
>>> "Michael Johnson" > wrote in message
>>>

>> I'm sure Ford and the dealers are cleaning up on the GT500 but, IMO, this
>> will cost them loyal customers in the long term. It's just another example
>> of why Toyota is cleaning their clock in sales and market share. I wonder
>> how many people were sitting back and waiting for the price of the GT500s
>> to get near MSRP (as Ford promised them it would) to buy one and now that
>> they can't have decided to market the Mustang completely off their list,
>> even the GT. You can count me in this crowd and I think there are more like
>> me than Ford realizes. It makes me wonder if this is some of the reason
>> Mustang sales numbers are dropping like a rock.

> This is the truth, if I could have ordered my 2007 Shelby GT500 for MSRP
> last fall, My wife and I would each be driving a new 2007 Ford right now.
> As it is we are shopping for her car everywhere else, (thanks in no small
> part to another stupid move by the re-badge idiots at FoMoCo, 500/Taurus)
> and I am now SERIOUSLY considering a new Corvette...
>
> Ford Motor Company has incompetently dropped the ball (yet again) on this
> 2007 Shelby GT500, possibly the final straw that drives this life long Ford
> fanatic away for good.

Ford doesn't understand loyalty is a two way street. Like you, I have
been extremely loyal to Ford for the last 20 years. I take their
actions on the GT500 personally and expect them to abide by their words.
It is getting to the point that I don't care if they do finally
produce them in volume. I've just about lost all interest in the car
and the new Mustangs in general. The only thing I have any loyalty left
for is the 1989 LX sitting in my garage and that does absolutely nothing
for Ford's bottom line today. I would have really liked to have bought
a GT500 for near MSRP by now but that isn't happening. I really could
care less if Ford goes tits up. If I feel that way then, IMO, they are
in deep, deep trouble.

As I have said many times before the GT500 is a car worth MSRP. When
you get into the mid to high $50k region there are just too many better
cars to pick from. I think I'm through waiting for Ford to do the right
thing with the GT500 and it, along with the GT, will be crossed off my
list permanently.
Old April 7th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"Brent P" > wrote in message
. ..

> It also serves to blow the 'exclusivity' argument out of the water
> because with the added price, one could get a car that will be more
> exclusive to anyone who isn't into cars. The GT500 is going to look like
> just another mustang to most people. Most people won't know it's anything
> special. If someone wanted exclusivity and to show off, the GT500 really
> isn't the car.

Right. That would be the Scion.

dwight