"King Of The Road" Returns With 540HP

Old April 1st 07, 05:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Default "King Of The Road" Returns With 540HP

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...=2007703300380
>>> They've probably lost me as well. All this time waiting for the price
>>> to go down has me not being so interested any more. By the time it
>>> gets to sticker I may have none left for the car.
>>> The momement they said they were going distribute the cars by dealer
>>> allotment I knew this was going happen and caught a lot flak in here
>>> for it. Ford has no desire to bring any car to market that's worth
>>> buying without controlling production to the point that the price
>>> doesn't go through the roof at the dealership.

>> I've seen a couple at the dealers in my neck of the woods. And just
>> yesterday saw a red 'vert cruising the streets. Don't know what
>> they're paying for them though.

>>> I am waiting for Ford to pull the plug on the GT500. At some point
>>> before dealer prices hit sticker IMO they are going to say they
>>> 'can't afford to build the low production model anymore' or they are
>>> going to say there haven't been enough sales, or some lame ass excuse
>>> and cancel it. The fact they moved the SVT chief elsewhere has me
>>> thinking they are heading that way.

>> Maybe SVT will go more production line thereby increasing the numbers
>> and lowering the cost.
>>
>>> The local chevy dealer always has a good number of corvettes in
>>> stock. Never saw a GT500 at the local Ford dealer.

>> When you're the only game in town, like the Mustang is, you can keep
>> prices higher. But with increased competition (the new pony cars that
>> are coming) Ford will be forced to play the buyers game.
>>
>> Patrick

> I think it's going to be the other way around. Chevy and Chrysler
> already have a target - the Mustang GT. They'll have to keep their cars
> competitive from a performance, price, and value standpoint.

If they choose, I think DC can bring the Challenger in at a Mustang GT
price point. Doesn't the Charger have an entry level price in the mid
$20k range?
Old April 1st 07, 06:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=119281

> Forgot to include it in the last post...

Here's what really impressed me with the Tundra:

"It's spectacular, delivering its test-topping 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of
torque in an effortless, silken flood, hurling the Tundra to 60 mph in
6.3 seconds
and through the quarter-mile in a remarkable 14.8 seconds at 93.7 mph."

Going 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and running the 1/4 mile in 14.8 seconds!
Old April 1st 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Nicholas Anthony

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...=2007703300380
>
> Patrick

540hp is the early suggested hp. Much like when the GT500 was being created
hp went from 450 too 500hp this car is believed to go 600plus hp!!! Now keep
in mind this is an anniversary hence the 1k units being produced and the
sticker from what I read is going to be close to $50k. Now please tell me
were on earth are you going to find a production vehicle with that much hp
for so little a price? Would you rather Ford charge over $100k just so the
market doesnt adjust the price at the dealership? Or better yet flood the
market with these cars so there is nothing special or unique to them and we
complain that everyone has a "me too". Those of us who remember in the late
80's the insurance companies tend to jump in and ruin things too. Lets face
it all I here is a bunch of people complaining cause they want the car but
cant afford it so they will drop their loyalty to Ford cause of this, does
that make sense? Not to me it doesnt unless its a quality issue, producing
the cars we want them to produce at a low production is no new game for any
manufacturer so you are just jumping from one to another. Just remember a
steed for every need and an aftermarket that will set you apart.

Old April 1st 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Joe wrote:
> Michael Johnson > wrote in
> :
>
>> Brent P wrote:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...=2007703300380

>>> They've probably lost me as well. All this time waiting for the price
>>> to go down has me not being so interested any more. By the time it
>>> gets to sticker I may have none left for the car.

>> I am definitely interested in what GM and DC are bringing to the
>> table.
>> Hell, I just might throw more money at my '89 LX and make it my
>> speed
>> fix and forget about a new Mustang all together.

> I'm seriously considering this as well. My Dakota replacement may end
> up being a restomod Mustang. I'm still thinking about that crate motor
> we were discussing a while ago...

I could be very happy with my old LX sporting a 427W (in front of the
current T-56 manual), full Maximum Motorsports suspension and a set of
killer brakes. Plus, I would have a car that is APPRECIATING in value.

>>> The momement they said they were going distribute the cars by dealer
>>> allotment I knew this was going happen and caught a lot flak in here
>>> for it. Ford has no desire to bring any car to market that's worth
>>> buying without controlling production to the point that the price
>>> doesn't go through the roof at the dealership.

>> I don't want to drag up the whole allocation debate. The bottom line
>> is that Ford hasn't produced enough GT500 to meet the demand or what
>> they state a year ago. IMO, the introduction of this "new" KR variant
>> shows me they are going to keep the price gouging going for the full
>> run of these Cobras. If they produced enough the price would drop no
>> matter how they are allocated.

> I'll bet this is only the beginning. Watch for other variations on a
> theme, all at higher prices with limited availability.

I guess I will have to make myself a Ford customer with "limited
availabilty" too.

Old April 1st 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Michael Johnson

Nicholas Anthony wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...=2007703300380
>>
>> Patrick

> 540hp is the early suggested hp. Much like when the GT500 was being created
> hp went from 450 too 500hp this car is believed to go 600plus hp!!! Now keep
> in mind this is an anniversary hence the 1k units being produced and the
> sticker from what I read is going to be close to $50k. Now please tell me
> were on earth are you going to find a production vehicle with that much hp
> for so little a price? Would you rather Ford charge over $100k just so the
> market doesnt adjust the price at the dealership? Or better yet flood the
> market with these cars so there is nothing special or unique to them and we
> complain that everyone has a "me too". Those of us who remember in the late
> 80's the insurance companies tend to jump in and ruin things too. Lets face
> it all I here is a bunch of people complaining cause they want the car but
> cant afford it so they will drop their loyalty to Ford cause of this, does
> that make sense? Not to me it doesnt unless its a quality issue, producing
> the cars we want them to produce at a low production is no new game for any
> manufacturer so you are just jumping from one to another. Just remember a
> steed for every need and an aftermarket that will set you apart.

I want Ford to live up to their statements of last spring and summer.
They told us the GT500 would be produced in volume and so far I don't
see this happening. This is why they are loosing me as a loyal
customer. If they had said the GT500 (and its variants) were going to
be produced in limited numbers to keep prices high then I wouldn't be
complaining.
Old April 1st 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Joe wrote:

> The old vs. new production numbers aren't the issue; it's Ford not
> making these new cars available to the general public.

Exactly. In all my reading on mustangs I've never heard of there being an
availability issue for the shelby mustangs and huge dealer mark ups.
Apparently when they made only 1,000 that's because there were only a
1,000 buyers unless it was a model that was there just to make a racing
quota. Remember, the there are 1970 shelby mustangs that were LEFT OVER
69s. There was a lot more to choose from and considerably fewer people
in the market back then.

> I'd love to see real production and sales numbers for the GT500...

I do tend to wonder how many have actually been made as well.

Old April 1st 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Nicholas Anthony wrote:
> sticker from what I read is going to be close to $50k. Now please tell me
> were on earth are you going to find a production vehicle with that much hp
> for so little a price?

Nowhere. Because you won't get one with less than $10-25K dealer markup.

> Would you rather Ford charge over $100k just so the
> market doesnt adjust the price at the dealership?

Actually, what difference does it make to a buyer who gets the money? Do
I care if it's the dealership or ford? Not really. Although Ford
advertising a car for an MSRP $20K less than it actually sells doesn't
make for a happy customer base.

> Or better yet flood the
> market with these cars so there is nothing special or unique to them and we
> complain that everyone has a "me too".

The old 'exclusivity' argument. It's a manufacturered product, there is
ultimately nothing about it that makes its owner special. If you want
something special have a one of a kind car built for yourself or build it
yourself. Then you have something special.

> Those of us who remember in the late
> 80's the insurance companies tend to jump in and ruin things too. Lets face
> it all I here is a bunch of people complaining cause they want the car but
> cant afford it so they will drop their loyalty to Ford cause of this, does
> that make sense?

The 'SUV jealously' argument. It has nothing to do with what I or anyone
else can afford. I could go out right now and out bid any reasonably
thinking person for a new GT500 mustang by thinking unreasonably. The
question is, do I want to pay upwards of $70K for powerful mustang. No.
Base Porsche 911 money for a mustang? not bloody likely.

The brand loyalty comes from being treated fairly and honestly in
addition to getting good product. Ford is not living up to its end here.

> Not to me it doesnt unless its a quality issue, producing
> the cars we want them to produce at a low production is no new game for any
> manufacturer so you are just jumping from one to another. Just remember a
> steed for every need and an aftermarket that will set you apart.

And with that, you destroy your exclusivity argument for a GT500.

Old April 1st 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Apr 1, 12:55 pm, Michael Johnson > wrote:

> I want Ford to live up to their statements of last spring and summer.
> They told us the GT500 would be produced in volume and so far I don't
> see this happening. This is why they are loosing me as a loyal
> customer. If they had said the GT500 (and its variants) were going to
> be produced in limited numbers to keep prices high then I wouldn't be
> complaining.

Note Ford's statement: Just 1000 GT500KRs will be produced, and the
first batch will arrive in dealerships in the spring of 2008. Ford
says the regular GT500 has been selling incredibly well, so we're
guessing there are going to be a lot of angry people out there wishing
they'd waited for the KR.

Patrick