74 corvette help

Old October 22nd 05, 07:51 PM
Bob G.

Default 74 corvette help

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:18:35 -0500, (Dave in
Lake Villa) wrote:

>Id go for a ride in a C3 with sidepipes first to see if youre going to
>be okay with the increased noise ; It wont be so bad if you have the T
>Tops on and windows rolled up, but, if you ride with the T TOps off and
>windows down...you could get a headache within 4 blocks .

============================

My 66 year I owned years ago had side pipes and it was really not that
bad with the top down or with the top and windows up.... HOWEVER
I sold that car 25 years ago (big mistake..)

Anyhow... I tossed on a set of Ecklers/Mid America chambered pipes
UNDER my 79 a few years ago...and .with the t-tops on and the windows
rolled it was UNBEARABLE....absolutely unbearable ...I have never been
INSIDE a drum but I now know what that must sound like...

And for me to say it was toooooo loud is something... I only can hear
out of one ear...(Thank you Vietnam) and my 95 has not had any
mufflers on her at all...for at least the last 6-7 years...straight
exhaust from the cats back... not loud at all LOL

Bob G.
64 & 72 Rag tops
76 79 & 95 Coupes
Old October 22nd 05, 09:25 PM
dave

'Anyhow... I tossed on a set of Ecklers/Mid America chambered pipes
UNDER my 79 a few years ago...and .with the t-tops on and the windows
rolled it was UNBEARABLE....absolutely unbearable ...I have never been
INSIDE a drum but I now know what that must sound like...
And for me to say it was toooooo loud is something... I only can hear
out of one ear...(Thank you Vietnam) and my 95 has not had any mufflers
on her at all...for at least the last 6-7 years...straight exhaust from
the cats back... not loud at all LOL
Bob G'

REPLY: Alot has to do with the sound pitch ive discovered ; I went with
a set of Ravin series 33 perf. mufflers and 'X' pipe on my 1970 BB Vette
; the Ravins are virtually straight thru in design (taking a couple of
slight dips in a front to back flow pattern) . Its quite loud inside up
to approx. 2500 rpm. Once over that rpm, the inside is very quiet and
you hardly hear the exhaust. They sound great with the rumpity rumpity
rump of my long duration roller cam at idle however. I sure like the
looks of Chrome SidePipes on an older Vette .