'91 L98 Heads or Long Block?

Old August 4th 05, 01:42 AM
Koolman365

Default '91 L98 Heads or Long Block?

Blew one of the head gaskets on my '91 L98 w/ 84k on it... also looks
like some anti-freeze got into the oil... and the 7th cylinder looks
much cleaner than all of the other ones, which is where the seal blew.
Since the head on the driver's side is no longer in good condition and
it would take a lot of work to have it re-done... Does anyone have a
pair of L98 heads in good condition? Also does anyone have a long
block and/or used L98 motor for sale? Please let me know ASAP...
thanks in advance.

Eric

Old August 4th 05, 02:12 PM
Greg

i would have the heads done by a GOOD machine shop, i just had mine
done on my 87 with about 60,000 on it. it ran me about 700 for the
heads with new guides, ARP bolts and gaskets. as far as the one
cylinder being cleaner as long as there is still "crosshatch there" i
would not worry about it, you just have one steam cleaned cylinder.
Greg

Old August 4th 05, 07:17 PM
Koolman365

Yeah but the problem I'm worried about by just doing the heads is that
there was anti-freeze in the oil. I don't know how long the
anti-freeze was in there, but that will dry out any kind of seals
and/or bearings in the short block. I'd worry that I put the engine
back together and then I have a rod knock or something else from the
bottom of the motor. The driver's side head was pitted from the
anti-freeze going by it. One machine shop didn't want to touch it, the
other said they'd do it, would take 3 days, and $475/head to complete.
Need to weld the head, then mill it, let it cool, mill again, cool,
etc.. as to not warp the aluminum head during the milling process.
That's why I was looking for heads that someone else may have, or
another engine. Thanks again.

Eric

Old August 4th 05, 07:31 PM
Greg

my machine shop did cut me a break because of the amount of work i
send them, we do about one head job a week here at my shop and very
seldom have any problems with bearings or seals, but it does sound
like you had a cylinder head gasket leak for a long time if it pitted
the heads so you are probably better off going the route you have in
mind, good luck. ps i might be interested in your block if it is
standard bore and in good shape if you get another motor

Old August 6th 05, 07:45 PM
Tom in Missouri

Go hit some of the larger swap meets. There are always a few sets of the
Corvette heads around and reasonable prices.

Remember to take cash.

oups.com...