Where to buy SVT Shelby GT 500 without 20k markup?

Old March 5th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Default Where to buy SVT Shelby GT 500 without 20k markup?

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:

> Joe wrote:
>> Zombywoof > wrote in
>> :

policy?

paying

'04

the

the

them

>>> Remember back to the Plymouth Prowler the supposed "Street Rod" for
>>> the masses and Chrysler's attempts to put it at an affordable price
>>> point and keep it there? That certainly didn't happen. I've often
>>> wondered exactly how many of these are sitting across the country
>>> shrink wrapped in someone's climate controlled garage.

>> I don't know, but I see a helluva lot of 'em on the roads down here.
>> Lots of SSRs riding around, too.

> I see one or two around here during the summer but haven't seen one

SSR.
> IMO, the SSR is a decent bargain. Especially with the newer 400 hp
> engine.

Indeed. Funny, I've seen more SSRs than GTOs. But this area isn't
really typical of what you'd see in any other given area, except maybe
LA or something. Lots of exotics, customs, and whathaveyou are usually
running around down here. Not a day goes by where I don't see some kind
of older, cherry hot rod or muscle car also.
Old March 5th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:

> Joe wrote:
>> "Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
>> :

>>> I don't think it will matter how dealers get their hands on them.
>>> The Ford GTs saw a lot of hype and were priced through the roof when
>>> they first hit the showrooms. Pricing for them has leveled off
>>> substantially.

>> What are they going for now? The price of a house?

> Last I heard it is now a little over sticker or about $160k. Still a
> bargain though when you consider it can kick the butt of a $400k
> Ferrari.

Quite true. But the GT still says 'Ford', while 'Ferrari' says a few
things more...

>>> I think there are just so many buyers at a certain
>>> price point and spreading the cars around to many dealers won't
>>> increase that number. Plus, if Ford makes over 14,000 in a two year
>>> run the Shelby just won't be that rare.

>> Bet me that Ford doesn't make 14,000 in two years. I think we'll be
>> lucky to see 5,000 a year if that.

> Even 5,000/year is quite a few. My guess is they will have to sell
> several thousand a year just to recoup their investment.

I'm sure they've got their break-even line drawn on some board somehwhere
in corporate. And soon after they cross that line they can play all kinds
of games with production numbers and price.

>>> The Cobra R is not a good
>>> comparison because they truly made that a limited production run
>>> vehicle (around 300 units, IIRC). Personally, my limit is $45k-$50k
>>> for a loaded convertible. Anymore than that will make me look hard
>>> at other cars from Mercedes, Lexus, Corvette etc. No matter how
>>> Ford wants to spin it they are still selling a Mustang and I bet the
>>> general public won't let them forget that fact. Sure there will be
>>> the buyers that will pay any price but they will fade out quick.
>>> IMO, patient will be rewarded when buying a GT500.

>> To a point, I think you're right, Michael. But I also think that
>> Ford will realize that they can't go above that $50k line, and to
>> jack up the price they'll cut production. They might just be able to
>> make more money by selling fewer cars.

> I also think they know their price limit is in the $45k-$50k range.
> I'm sure they have probed the market to find the sweet spot. Over
> $50k and there are just too many other cars that become competitors.
> Under $50k and they have a free reign in that segment and nothing can
> touch that car for the value.

Even under $50k, Ford has to be careful. As you've pointed out, there are
people who won't pay that much simply because it's "still a Mustang". I
think there might be a line lower than $50k that people won't cross
because of that.

> I have no doubt Ford dealers will rape
> the first few Mustang/Shelby maniacs that hit the showrooms and I
> really don't blame them for doing it. Hell, I would do it if I owned
> a dealership.

Agreed. If people will pay it, then why not?

> Here are a few cars I will consider if Ford thinks I will spend more
> than $50k on a Mustang:
>
> http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?...=MODELSELECTOR

Very neat.

> http://www.lexus.com/models/sc/index.html

I don't care for the SC simply because it's got that 'chick car' stigma.
It's not a "Real Man's" car.

> http://www.porsche.com/uk/models/911...olet/indetail/

Oooh.

> .... and my personal favorite as runner-up
>
> http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/#corvette-z06

Literally the bargain of the century so far.

> Plus there are many, many kit cars offered nowadays that are really
> quite good and can perform right up with the best from the major auto
> makers. Heck, maybe in a year, or so, a slightly used Ford GT might
> be possible.

LOL! In yer dreams. But dream on, my friend..
Old March 5th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
:

> Mort Guffman wrote:
>> On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:41:07 -0500, Zombywoof
>> > wrote:

>>> Remember back to the Plymouth Prowler the supposed "Street Rod" for
>>> the masses and Chrysler's attempts to put it at an affordable price
>>> point and keep it there? That certainly didn't happen. I've often
>>> wondered exactly how many of these are sitting across the country
>>> shrink wrapped in someone's climate controlled garage.

>> I remember people were paying $40K when the first PT Cuisers came
>> out. Bet they feel like chumps. I paid just under the sticker for my
>> 98 cobra. It still runs good. I am interested in the GT500, but when
>> I think it thru I don't really want one that badly.
>>
>> 1. I don't like the stripes. If I opt out of the stripes (if that's
>> possible) the car won't look genuine.
>>
>> 2. I can't imagine why I would need a 450+ HP car.
>>
>> 3. That's a lot of money for a Mustang. I would tend to look closer
>> at the Corvettes if the price is gonna be near the base price of a
>> Corvette.
>>
>> 4. I actually would like to have an automatic trans. I have been
>> driving sticks forever and a automatic sounds kinda nice. I live in
>> the heart of Pinellas County FL and so 99% of my driving is in heavy
>> traffic with 45MPH speed limits.

> I am with you on this. I really hope Ford has an option for an
> automatic. Something tells me they won't due to the after market
> tuning potential and high torque output of the engine. I doubt they
> have a tranny in their arsenal that can take the abuse.

Currently having two vehicles with automatics, I certainly agree.
However, I don't agree with # 2 at all. There's never too much power.
Old March 5th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Joe wrote:

>"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
m:

>>Brent P wrote:

>>>It's all in how ford distributes them and how many suckers there are.
>>>Way too many people out there with more money than brains.
>>>

>>I don't think it will matter how dealers get their hands on them. The
>>Ford GTs saw a lot of hype and were priced through the roof when they
>>first hit the showrooms. Pricing for them has leveled off
>>substantially.
>>

>What are they going for now? The price of a house?

The base Ford GT has a MSRP of $153,345 (which includes D&D & Gas
Guzzler Tax).
With the max. of $26,600 in options, a fully-loaded Ford GT will have a
sticker price of $179,945. Either way, that is a fraction of the going
price for a new house around here; the rather-typical new house across the
street from me sold for ~$660K last summer.

--
Cheers, Bob
Old March 5th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article >, Joe wrote:

> Even under $50k, Ford has to be careful. As you've pointed out, there are
> people who won't pay that much simply because it's "still a Mustang". I
> think there might be a line lower than $50k that people won't cross
> because of that.

"still a Mustang" means a lot. Ford isn't going to address all the
compromises that were made to bring that base V6 to market at low price
in the GT500. Once a given price line is crossed one can get a much more
refined car with all sorts of attention to detail that couldn't be done
for a base mustang V6 price point. In the GT500 the buyer is going to be
living with quite a few of those. In the 35-45K range, the GT500 is
pretty fairly priced. We are paying for a mustang and a more or less
super car, ford GT engine with some other nicities added to the car.

Cross 50K and those base V6 compromises become glaring. Now the other
cars have 50K+ car fit and finish and goodies that the GT500 doesn't.
Might as well buy a Porsche or a vette if dealer premium pushes it over
the 50K mark.

Old March 6th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Bob Willard > wrote in
news
> Joe wrote:
>
>>"Michael Johnson, PE" > wrote in
om:

>>>I don't think it will matter how dealers get their hands on them.
>>>The Ford GTs saw a lot of hype and were priced through the roof when
>>>they first hit the showrooms. Pricing for them has leveled off
>>>substantially.
>>>

>>What are they going for now? The price of a house?
>>

> The base Ford GT has a MSRP of $153,345 (which includes D&D & Gas
> Guzzler Tax).
> With the max. of $26,600 in options, a fully-loaded Ford GT will have
> a sticker price of $179,945. Either way, that is a fraction of the
> going price for a new house around here; the rather-typical new house
> across the street from me sold for ~$660K last summer.

There are plenty of places you can buy a house for the price of a Ford GT.
Might be a starter 2/1 or 2/2, but they're available. $660k for a
'typical' house is getting up there.
Old March 6th 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

In article >, Joe wrote:
> (Brent P) wrote in
> :
>
>> In article >, Joe wrote:
>>
>>> Even under $50k, Ford has to be careful. As you've pointed out,
>>> there are people who won't pay that much simply because it's "still a
>>> Mustang". I think there might be a line lower than $50k that people
>>> won't cross because of that.

>> "still a Mustang" means a lot. Ford isn't going to address all the
>> compromises that were made to bring that base V6 to market at low
>> price in the GT500. Once a given price line is crossed one can get a
>> much more refined car with all sorts of attention to detail that
>> couldn't be done for a base mustang V6 price point. In the GT500 the
>> buyer is going to be living with quite a few of those. In the 35-45K
>> range, the GT500 is pretty fairly priced. We are paying for a mustang
>> and a more or less super car, ford GT engine with some other nicities
>> added to the car.
>>
>> Cross 50K and those base V6 compromises become glaring. Now the other
>> cars have 50K+ car fit and finish and goodies that the GT500 doesn't.
>> Might as well buy a Porsche or a vette if dealer premium pushes it
>> over the 50K mark.

> Even with the GT500 at $45k, I'd probably opt for the C6 for the few
> extra thou. After all, $45k is a lot for a Mustang...

I don't believe it will be that high for the GT500... Probably closer to
40K. But for me anyway, I don't really fit in a vette. For some reason
they just aren't made such that I can fit in them comfortably. A 911 on
the other hand....

Old March 6th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 03:59:56 GMT, Mort Guffman
> puked:

>2. I can't imagine why I would need a 450+ HP car.

No one needs one...
--
lab~rat >:-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?