1999 Honda Civic Ex MasterKey

Old November 23rd 05, 08:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 1999 Honda Civic Ex MasterKey

Hi

Recently i brought a used 1999 honda civic Ex from some private party.
It has all the power options as a standard equipment. but it doesn't
has the master key of the car and i have only the valvet key..
with this valvet key i couldn't able to open car trunk from outside.

i dont have any key code for this master key..

Could you please advice me how to get the master key(duplicate) for
this 1999 honda civic Ex.. Is there any chance to get that from any
Honda Dealer?

Appreciate your help.......

Old November 23rd 05, 09:59 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

LetzSee wrote:
> Hi
>
> Recently i brought a used 1999 honda civic Ex from some private party.
> It has all the power options as a standard equipment. but it doesn't
> has the master key of the car and i have only the valvet key..
> with this valvet key i couldn't able to open car trunk from outside.
>
> i dont have any key code for this master key..
>
> Could you please advice me how to get the master key(duplicate) for
> this 1999 honda civic Ex.. Is there any chance to get that from any
> Honda Dealer?
>
> Appreciate your help.......

I have no idea if this is true for Hondas or not, but Porsche used to
use a master/valet key arrangement. The cut of the keys was exactly
the same, but the *blanks* were different - if you copy the valet key
onto a master key blank, you have a working master key. How it worked
was one of the wafers had a notched cut in it, and the master blank
would hit one side of the cut and the valet key would hit the other.
Thus only one of the keys would release that last wafer.

I have no idea if this helps at all, but it's worth a shot...

good luck,

nate

Old November 23rd 05, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

> > Recently i brought a used 1999 honda civic Ex from some private party.
> > It has all the power options as a standard equipment. but it doesn't
> > has the master key of the car and i have only the valvet key..
> > with this valvet key i couldn't able to open car trunk from outside.
> >
> > i dont have any key code for this master key..

> I have no idea if this is true for Hondas or not, but Porsche used to
> use a master/valet key arrangement. The cut of the keys was exactly
> the same, but the *blanks* were different - if you copy the valet key
> onto a master key blank, you have a working master key. How it worked
> was one of the wafers had a notched cut in it, and the master blank
> would hit one side of the cut and the valet key would hit the other.
> Thus only one of the keys would release that last wafer.

I'm looking at the keys to our '92 Accord and I see that the "cut" is
identical. The only difference I see is the cross section of the cut area on
the "master" key is thinner than on the valet key.

So I agree, just get a new key cut using a "master" blank instead of a
"valet" blank and it should work fine. That's assuming they are like the '92
Accord keys.

Steve

Old November 24th 05, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

If the ideas presented already just go to the dealer with your VIN, they
should have the key code on file & cut you a new key. You will need the
registration to prove you own the car.

Old November 24th 05, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

N8N wrote:

> LetzSee wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Recently i brought a used 1999 honda civic Ex from some private
> > party. It has all the power options as a standard equipment. but
> > it doesn't has the master key of the car and i have only the valvet
> > key.. with this valvet key i couldn't able to open car trunk from
> > outside.
> >
> > i dont have any key code for this master key..
> >
> > Could you please advice me how to get the master key(duplicate) for
> > this 1999 honda civic Ex.. Is there any chance to get that from any
> > Honda Dealer?
> >
> > Appreciate your help.......

> I have no idea if this is true for Hondas or not, but Porsche used to
> use a master/valet key arrangement. The cut of the keys was exactly
> the same, but the blanks were different - if you copy the valet key
> onto a master key blank, you have a working master key.

This is correct.

The Honda keys I'm familiar with use a thicker blank for the VALET
(NOT "valvet") key. They are otherwise identical to the ordinary
ignition key.

To the OP: It's pronounced "val-AY" (first "A" as in "apple"). Valets
are the beggars who park your car at fancy hotels. You give them the
valet key so they can't steal your stuff from the trunk.

Now if the OP has the actual original key in a worn state, the key will
have a 4-digit number pressed into the shaft. This number may be used
by the dealer to obtain a new key (with proper documentation, of
course).

Old December 2nd 05, 04:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

thanks for the replies/advice..