motor control system failure

Old July 19th 10, 10:35 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Default motor control system failure

jima > wrote:

> You haven't frightened me off but I am hoping to hear a possible easy
> solution to my problem. Currently my battery is disconnected and I'm
> hoping for the best!

Hmmm, if turning off and back on again hasn't reset things....

Try disconnecting the negative lead from the battery and touching it
onto the positive terminal for 5-10 seconds.

That sometimes clears the system down.

If this fails, you need the ECU read. If you're anywhere near
Caerphilly, I'm more than happy to do it with my netbook and Alfa Diag.
--
SteveH
Old July 20th 10, 10:01 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"SteveH" > wrote in message
.. .
> Catman > wrote:
>
>> > Close all the windows, turn it off, then turn it back on again :-)
>> >

>> *slap*
>>
>> Now give him the proper answer

> Well, aside from the 'close all the windows', that *is* the proper
> answer to that problem, IME.

Seconded - same in my JTS. Didn't know about the windows though - I just
turn off and on and it goes away. Actually mine hasn't done it for ages
(touch wood).

Old July 20th 10, 10:02 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
GT[_14_]

"SteveH" > wrote in message
.. .
> jima > wrote:
>
>> You haven't frightened me off but I am hoping to hear a possible easy
>> solution to my problem. Currently my battery is disconnected and I'm
>> hoping for the best!

> Hmmm, if turning off and back on again hasn't reset things....
>
> Try disconnecting the negative lead from the battery and touching it
> onto the positive terminal for 5-10 seconds.
>
> That sometimes clears the system down.
>
> If this fails, you need the ECU read. If you're anywhere near
> Caerphilly, I'm more than happy to do it with my netbook and Alfa Diag.

Funny that you should mention that - I was in Asda just 5 minutes ago
looking for Caerphilly. They just don't seem to stock it any more. Neither
does Tesco. What's the world coming to when you can't get a decent crumbly
cheese.

Old July 20th 10, 11:46 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

GT wrote:
> "SteveH" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> jima > wrote:
>>
>>> You haven't frightened me off but I am hoping to hear a possible easy
>>> solution to my problem. Currently my battery is disconnected and I'm
>>> hoping for the best!

>> Hmmm, if turning off and back on again hasn't reset things....
>>
>> Try disconnecting the negative lead from the battery and touching it
>> onto the positive terminal for 5-10 seconds.
>>
>> That sometimes clears the system down.
>>
>> If this fails, you need the ECU read. If you're anywhere near
>> Caerphilly, I'm more than happy to do it with my netbook and Alfa Diag.

> Funny that you should mention that - I was in Asda just 5 minutes ago
> looking for Caerphilly. They just don't seem to stock it any more. Neither
> does Tesco. What's the world coming to when you can't get a decent crumbly
> cheese.

Is this a cheese shop?

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 20th 10, 02:02 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
jima

OOn Jul 20, 11:46*am, Catman > wrote:
> GT wrote:
> > "SteveH" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >> Hmmm, if turning off and back on again hasn't reset things....

> >> Try disconnecting the negative lead from the battery and touching it
> >> onto the positive terminal for 5-10 seconds.

> >> That sometimes clears the system down.

> >> If this fails, you need the ECU read. If you're anywhere near
> >> Caerphilly, I'm more than happy to do it with my netbook and Alfa Diag..

> > Funny that you should mention that - I was in Asda jut 5 minutes ago
> > looking for Caerphilly. They just don't seem to stock it any more. Neither
> > does Tesco. What's the world coming to when you can't get a decent crumbly
> > cheese.

> Is this a cheese shop?
>
> --
> Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3
> Tyger, Tyger Burning Bright (Remove rust to reply)
> 116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
> Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Still. having the same problem....engine running rough when cold in
particular. Message ref motor control failure still shows. Getting
nervous now. Could be expensive?
Old July 20th 10, 02:34 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

jima wrote:

<snip>

> Still. having the same problem....engine running rough when cold in
> particular. Message ref motor control failure still shows. Getting
> nervous now. Could be expensive?

I'm no expert on the diesels, but the most likely thing is probably a
broken sensor or connector.

You really need someone to read the ODBCII errors codes. SteveH will
help if you're near Wales, or a local independent will help as well.

It *might* be expensive, but it might well not be

Old July 20th 10, 03:05 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
jima

On Jul 20, 2:34*pm, Catman > wrote:
> jima wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> > Still. having the same problem....engine running rough when cold in
> > particular. Message ref motor control failure still shows. Getting
> > nervous now. Could be expensive?

> I'm no expert on the diesels, but the most likely thing is probably a
> broken sensor or connector.
>
> You really need someone to read the ODBCII errors codes. *SteveH will
> help if you're near Wales, or a local independent will help as well.
>
> It *might* be expensive, but it might well not be
>
> --
> Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3
> Tyger, Tyger Burning Bright (Remove rust to reply)
> 116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
> Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

Cheers, thanks for your help. I think I may risk limping back to the
Midlands and finding an independent with testing facilities. Local
boys can't look at it until end of week!
Old July 20th 10, 04:42 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

jima wrote:
> On Jul 20, 2:34 pm, Catman > wrote:
>> jima wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>

>>> Still. having the same problem....engine running rough when cold in
>>> particular. Message ref motor control failure still shows. Getting
>>> nervous now. Could be expensive?

>> I'm no expert on the diesels, but the most likely thing is probably a
>> broken sensor or connector.
>>
>> You really need someone to read the ODBCII errors codes. SteveH will
>> help if you're near Wales, or a local independent will help as well.
>>
>> It *might* be expensive, but it might well not be
>>
>> --
>> Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3
>> Tyger, Tyger Burning Bright (Remove rust to reply)
>> 116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
>> Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

> Cheers, thanks for your help. I think I may risk limping back to the
> Midlands and finding an independent with testing facilities. Local
> boys can't look at it until end of week!

I doubt there's much risk, TBH.

Old July 20th 10, 06:54 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
jima

On Jul 20, 4:42*pm, Catman > wrote:
> jima wrote:
> > On Jul 20, 2:34 pm, Catman > wrote:
> >> jima wrote:

> >> <snip>

> >> I'm no expert on the diesels, but the most likely thing is probably a
> >> broken sensor or connector.

> >> You really need someone to read the ODBCII errors codes. *SteveH will
> >> help if you're near Wales, or a local independent will help as well.

> >> It *might* be expensive, but it might well not be

> >> --
> >> Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3
> >> Tyger, Tyger Burning Bright (Remove rust to reply)
> >> 116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
> >> Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

> > Cheers, thanks for your help. I think I may risk limping back to the
> > Midlands and finding an independent with testing facilities. Local
> > boys can't look at it until end of week!

> I doubt there's much risk, TBH.
>
> --
> Catman MIB#14 SKoGA#6 TEAR#4 BOTAFOF#38 Apostle#21 COSOC#3
> Tyger, Tyger Burning Bright (Remove rust to reply)
> 116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
> Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk

I am now wondering whether a purchase of alfadiag would be worthy of
consideration. Where should I source required components please?
Old July 20th 10, 07:39 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

jima > wrote:

> I am now wondering whether a purchase of alfadiag would be worthy of
> consideration. Where should I source required components please?

You need a standard OBDII lead bought on eBay. And a steady hand - ISTR
you need to bridge pins 3 and 7 (but you really should check this) so
you can read all the Alfa ECUs.
--
SteveH