Can Olive wait for the beep?

Old June 18th 10, 10:06 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Default Can Olive wait for the beep?

Zathras wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 21:37:29 +0100, "GT" > wrote:
>
>> Do the diesels normally drink oil? (I mean engine oil, not diesel!)?

> No.
>
> There were two alleged aspects to the JTS engine that affected oil
> consumption:
>
> 1/ Wide ranging mechanical tolerances.
> 2/ Deliberate oil burning to lower cylinder temperatures and improve
> emissions.

Would *burning* actually lower temperatures?

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old June 18th 10, 12:05 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 09:51:43 +0100, "GT" > wrote:

>"Zathras" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 21:37:29 +0100, "GT" > wrote:
>>
>>>Do the diesels normally drink oil? (I mean engine oil, not diesel!)?

>> No.
>>
>> There were two alleged aspects to the JTS engine that affected oil
>> consumption:
>>
>> 1/ Wide ranging mechanical tolerances.
>> 2/ Deliberate oil burning to lower cylinder temperatures and improve
>> emissions.
>>
>> IIRC, there were reports of both cases in the (earlier) JTS engines
>> but the true picture was never really established as, in the cases I
>> heard of, oil consumption just managed to stay within the
>> specification and Alfa washed their hands of them.

>Mine is definitely an early one - one of the first 2002 156 2.0JTSs - old
>exterior, new interior, 165 2.0JTS. It doesn't really use that much oil - I
>think I've gone through about 17 'topup' litres in 8 years over 88,000
>miles. Not bad really.

There were considerable variations. Yours sounds like it's got better
mechanical tolerances than some others. Lucky boy!

>Of course that's 15 litres more than some cars would
>use!!

...and..17 less than my 2.4 did in a similar life span. My top-up oil
can bought when the car was new had rusted away by the time it was
sold. That was a new experience!

>Also, about 5-6 years ago (after I moved house and the dealer garage
>was too far to go for a tin of oil) I started using 'normal' 10w40 instead
>of the 10w60 (Selenia Racing) that the manual requests. No changes to report
>on performance or efficiency after the change. I don't really hang about,
>but I've never really thrashed the car, so hard driving might make a
>difference.

<guess mode on> If you build an engine that's a bit..er..too
loose..you could escape somewhat by specifying a thicker oil (60 when
hot). However, if you're got a reasonably tight normally aspirated
engine the thinner 40 oil might well be just fine if not, arguably,
preferable. Having said that, I'd put the 60 in if the car was going
on a track, say.<guess mode off>

My personal preference is always to go with the thinnest oil I can get
away with however my current spec is a watery 0W30 (but that's not in
an Alfa BTW).

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather (sold)
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email must have the word 'Alfa' in the
subject line to get through auto-filtering)
Old June 18th 10, 12:10 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Zathras

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:06:09 +0100, Catman
> wrote:

>Zathras wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 21:37:29 +0100, "GT" > wrote:
>>
>>> Do the diesels normally drink oil? (I mean engine oil, not diesel!)?

>> No.
>>
>> There were two alleged aspects to the JTS engine that affected oil
>> consumption:
>>
>> 1/ Wide ranging mechanical tolerances.
>> 2/ Deliberate oil burning to lower cylinder temperatures and improve
>> emissions.

>Would *burning* actually lower temperatures?

It's not a like a diesel so, apparently, the oil doesn't burn quite as
well as the petrol so reduces the peak cylinder temperature by
inhibiting the combustion fractionally. It's doing a similar ploy to
the EGR valve or the water spray on a barbecue!

Old June 18th 10, 03:41 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Zathras wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 10:06:09 +0100, Catman
> > wrote:
>
>> Zathras wrote:

>>> No.
>>>
>>> There were two alleged aspects to the JTS engine that affected oil
>>> consumption:
>>>
>>> 1/ Wide ranging mechanical tolerances.
>>> 2/ Deliberate oil burning to lower cylinder temperatures and improve
>>> emissions.

>> Would *burning* actually lower temperatures?

> It's not a like a diesel so, apparently, the oil doesn't burn quite as
> well as the petrol so reduces the peak cylinder temperature by
> inhibiting the combustion fractionally. It's doing a similar ploy to
> the EGR valve or the water spray on a barbecue!

I can see that, makes sense.

Old June 18th 10, 05:53 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH[_2_]

Zathras > wrote:

> My personal preference is always to go with the thinnest oil I can get
> away with however my current spec is a watery 0W30 (but that's not in
> an Alfa BTW).

ISTR trying that in my 33 16v. It quite literally ****ed out of any
available gasket.
--
SteveH
Old June 19th 10, 10:38 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
David A Stocks[_3_]

"GT" > wrote in message

> Do the diesels normally drink oil? (I mean engine oil, not diesel!)?

I put a bit into my 156 2.4JTD during its first few thousand miles (I owned
it from new). After that it didn't need anything between services. Its
replacement is a Brera 2.4JTDm bought at 14k miles. After 3K miles I haven't
noticed the oil level dropping.

--
DAS