over heating

Old November 10th 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
062167david

Default over heating

i have a 2000 vw passat 4 cly 1.8 eng . the other day a houseing for the
temp water sensor broke replaced the housing but still got over heated
replaced thermostat. and it still gets hot.help.

--
Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/...w.watercooled/
More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

Old November 11th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Did you bleed all of the air out of the cooling system?
Could it be the water pump impeller has broken = overheating = broken
housing?
Time for the timing belt if the pump is bad!

jmho
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

lkaboutautos.com...

Old November 11th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
062167david

how do you bleed the air in the cooling system? is there a valve to release
the air in motor?..

Old November 11th 08, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
062167david

are you talking about releaseing the heater hose back a little bit? if not
where is the header tank cap?

Old November 11th 08, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
SFC

Open header tank cap and let the engine warm up.

SFC

"062167david" > schreef in bericht
lkaboutautos.com...

Old November 11th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

On Nov 11, 10:35*am, "062167david" > wrote:
> are you talking about releaseing the heater hose back a little bit? if not
> where is the header tank cap?
>
> --
> Message posted usinghttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled/
> More information athttp://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

AKA the Overflow Tank. Does that help?

There is one other common problem with these vehicles - Older bottom
(suction) hoses often collapse if there is even a small restriction in
the radiator (or an air-lock) - which would cause overheating. Some
such hoses come with wire springs inside to prevent this problem. So,
check all your hoses and if any of them are soft or distorted, replace
them.

You can also check for proper circulation by leaving the overflow tank
cap off and watching for the coolant to move through it. START COLD
(don't open when hot) unless you want a face-full of scalding water.
But as the thermostat opens, you should see movement.

One thing about VWs, most all of them from their very first water-
cooled beasts to the present day do require "Burping" if the coolant
is drained or is lost. So dave is dead on-point with his advice.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old November 12th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Yes I had to bleed the air out of the heater core of a 1999 Passat 1.8t last
week. I flushed the heater core and backflushed it also. There was no heat
before, but after I filled it up and allowed the air to escape out of the
heater hose bleed hole until coolant shot out.....there was heat!!! <g>
I had never seen a bleed hole on a hose before except on some Porsche 924s.
But it worked. ;-)

Like Peter Wieck you have to get that air out of the bottle (I call it the
coolant expansion tank) or whatever you call it. Burping the coolant system
usually always has to be done. Removing the cap or removing the highest
hose to allow the air to escape usually works for me. Also having patience
as I squeeze the upper radiator hose to help the air escape.

A6 over heating HELP Jack Parrish Audi 2 September 18th 08 11:39 PM
Heating up too much YouGoFirst Jeep 29 July 25th 05 02:41 PM
Over heating 4.0L dcollivier Jeep 10 May 5th 05 03:00 PM
over heating longshanks Mazda 1 February 10th 05 02:02 AM
heating help! jex VW air cooled 2 January 4th 05 04:51 PM