Socket For Loosening Caliper Bolts On 2000 Audi A4?

Old August 30th 04, 04:03 PM
Don Christine

Default Socket For Loosening Caliper Bolts On 2000 Audi A4?

Anyone know off the top of their head what type of socket is needed to
loosen the caliper bolts on the front wheels for a 2000 Audi A4? They
are covered by a protective rubber boot that hides the bolt head from
view.

Thanks in advance.
Old August 30th 04, 05:58 PM
Tonka

"Don Christine" > wrote in message
om...
> Anyone know off the top of their head what type of socket is needed to
> loosen the caliper bolts on the front wheels for a 2000 Audi A4? They
> are covered by a protective rubber boot that hides the bolt head from
> view.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Haynes does not say what size and there are 2 systems used between '95 and
2000

1. The ATE/Teves system uses an Allen Bolt so the wrench is most probably
metric (German) As for the size I'm guessing it will be between 1mm and
20mm.

2. The Lucas system uses a bolt so again metric with the same guess as 1.

dj

Old August 31st 04, 10:41 PM
squid

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:58:35 +0000 (UTC), "Tonka"
> wrote:

>"Don Christine" > wrote in message
. com...
>> Anyone know off the top of their head what type of socket is needed to
>> loosen the caliper bolts on the front wheels for a 2000 Audi A4? They
>> are covered by a protective rubber boot that hides the bolt head from
>> view.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

>Haynes does not say what size and there are 2 systems used between '95 and
>2000
>
>1. The ATE/Teves system uses an Allen Bolt so the wrench is most probably
>metric (German) As for the size I'm guessing it will be between 1mm and
>20mm.
>
>2. The Lucas system uses a bolt so again metric with the same guess as 1.
>
>dj

7 mm Allen on 2000 A6 for front, I haven't checked the back brakes.
Old August 31st 04, 11:22 PM
Robert

squid wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:58:35 +0000 (UTC), "Tonka"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Don Christine" > wrote in message
.com...

>>>Anyone know off the top of their head what type of socket is needed to
>>>loosen the caliper bolts on the front wheels for a 2000 Audi A4? They
>>>are covered by a protective rubber boot that hides the bolt head from
>>>view.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.

>>Haynes does not say what size and there are 2 systems used between '95 and
>>2000
>>
>>1. The ATE/Teves system uses an Allen Bolt so the wrench is most probably
>>metric (German) As for the size I'm guessing it will be between 1mm and
>>20mm.
>>
>>2. The Lucas system uses a bolt so again metric with the same guess as 1.
>>
>>dj
>>

> 7 mm Allen on 2000 A6 for front, I haven't checked the back brakes.

Yes, 7 mm is used on my 2001 A4 Avant as well (ATE/Teves), this being
the very last B5 - old chassis - model. 7mm is available as an Allen key
socket on 1/2 inch drive.

<OT> for completeness' sake it can be mentioned that the A4 *sedan* of
same year uses the B6 chassis) </OT>

The slide pins for the back brakes on the same car are removed via the
use of two crescent wrenches, one is 13mm, can't remember the size for
the other.

/Robert

Parting Audi S4 2000 mike Audi 11 April 18th 09 02:16 AM
UK audi A6 1.9TDI Rear Caliper Repair Kits Buster Keaton Audi 2 August 1st 04 10:39 AM
Audi Picture R. de Jong Audi 0 July 27th 04 04:08 PM