VR6 ?

Old November 22nd 06, 12:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Default VR6 ?

I have a old 86 GTI, and rust is starting to get the best of it...

Was pondering a 98 GTI VR6 and wondering what sort of mpg might one
expect from one?

Is it a interference motor?

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
Old November 22nd 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

lol
So you want some more power too huh John? ;-)

The VR6 has chain driven cams which probably only get changed when needed.
It should let you know if there are any problems by setting a MIL (cam
sensor). I have never heard of the chain breaking.......yet.

You should find that the VR6 5speed mileage is similar to what you are
getting with your current '86 GTi. In the mid 20s AFAIK. Of course it does
depend on how you drive it! ;-)

later,
dave
(One out of many daves)
http://vwdoc1.tripod.com/

Old November 22nd 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:

>Was pondering a 98 GTI VR6 and wondering what sort of mpg might one
>expect from one?

I see low 20s without being mileage conscious. More on the highway.
Old November 23rd 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

dave AKA vwdoc1 > wrote:
: lol
: So you want some more power too huh John? ;-)

Na... I was pretty happy with the power in my 86, but I did have a 2.0aba
in it, not a 1.8... What I discovered (quite by accident) was I was able to
get 30mpg in mixed city/highway driving using it as my commuter car... once
I was away for a week and took the antenna off and put a cover on it, then
I started driving it again and forgot to put the antenna on and got 33mpg...
took a few more experiements before realizing it really was that fixed antenna
that was costing 10% mpg... anyway, this vr6 looks pretty nice from
the photos and the price is right... now I just gotta figure out what to
do with my GTI :-(

: The VR6 has chain driven cams which probably only get changed when needed.
: It should let you know if there are any problems by setting a MIL (cam
: sensor). I have never heard of the chain breaking.......yet.

With the 1.8, we lost a rod bearing, that's why we ended up with the 2.0
bottom end... lost the timing belt once in the porsche and it hurt lot$...

: You should find that the VR6 5speed mileage is similar to what you are
: getting with your current '86 GTi. In the mid 20s AFAIK. Of course it does
: depend on how you drive it! ;-)

I've always been afraid to drive it too hard, too much weight up in the
front... I can take the ramp between I-294 and I-290 at 60mph in my Porsche
though... but the weight is different... I've seen too many pictures of GTI's
with 1 wheel up in the air to push it too hard...

Old November 23rd 06, 09:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Per Henneberg Kristensen[_1_]

Maybe you should take a look at www.tdiclub.com

A TDI isnīt that bad. My personal recoed is 1.000 miles (1612 km to be
exact) on one tank of diesel (Golf III) so there is commuting for yer

About the antenne - donīt beleive you. Iīve got two antennas on my car

--
Per, Esbjerg (Denmark)
www.clubgolf.dk

Old November 24th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
greenfoot

Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:
> I have a old 86 GTI, and rust is starting to get the best of it...
>
> Was pondering a 98 GTI VR6 and wondering what sort of mpg might one
> expect from one?
>
> Is it a interference motor?
> John Nelson

I bought my VR6 powered GLX new in 1998. I get 27 to 28 mpg in mixed
highway/city. Slightly more in all highway. Same as my old '90 Jetta
1.8. A much more satisfying engine though.

rb
98 Jeta GLX
145K miles

: Maybe you should take a look at www.tdiclub.com

: A TDI isn't that bad. My personal recoed is 1.000 miles (1612 km to be
: exact) on one tank of diesel (Golf III) so there is commuting for yer

: About the antenne - don't beleive you. I've got two antennas on my car

It took about a month of experiments to figure out where the 3 mpg difference
came from (I didn't associate it to the antenna at first, it was just because
i had covered the car that it was off), keep in mind, the 86 has a tall steel
antenna located on the front fenders... (it's a factory antenna).

It's pretty consistant to the point where my son doesn't put it on at all
anymore..