1987 4x4 GL Wagon with some 'sputtinger' and feeling like it is misfiring...

Old February 17th 04, 10:01 PM
Todd Nathan

Default 1987 4x4 GL Wagon with some 'sputtinger' and feeling like it is misfiring...

I have a GL wagon, 242K miles, original owner (me), and also have some
problems with the engine now.
I have taken exceptional care of this car, no rebuilds, and regular
changes of tires, oil and fluids, oil at 2K
intervals, tires before they go bad, and so forth. About 2-3 weeks
ago the car started having problems with
what seemed like going uphill and also mostly in cold (sub 20deg F)
weather. Now, I'm at a lower elevation and
the problem is much much worse. Feels like I have 2-3 cyclinders
working, and sputters at speed when it is
floored, going down the highway it had to be 'feathered' to keep from
what felt like lack of power, and also
maybe construded as flooding. Maybe new carburetor? Maybe new wires?
Maybe new plugs (just put them in
and gapped at 42-44 1000'ths)... Any help would be greatly
appreciated, I want to make it back the 700 miles
to my home without having the same 10 hours of troubles i had on the
way down here. Thanks!

Please post directly here, the mail address to this account is flooded
with spam.

Regards Tman
Old February 20th 04, 08:21 AM
clayton

i assume you mean gl subaru wagon??
try www.usmb.net
i myself run a 87 gl-10 turbo
i would try the wires and plugs sounds like fuel is not being burned as
well as it should be
also make sure your cap and rotor are in good shape
thats the reason i got my turbo so cheap is the cap and rotor made it run so
crappy that it hardly made it around the block

om...

Old February 20th 04, 08:21 AM
clayton