Converting an automatic Transmission to a manual one

Old October 24th 05, 06:36 PM
David Craig

Default Converting an automatic Transmission to a manual one

Per some ideas that I received from some of you, I am now at the point
where I am going to convert my 1988 Golf automatic transmission to a
5-speed manual transmission. I called a salvage yard to find a manual
tranny, but was posed with the question.....which type to buy? The
salvage yard said there are eight different types that could go in.
Does anyone have any ideas as to which type to purchase? To me, it
would seem that since I am replacing the entire transaxle, that it
wouldn't matter which transmission....but, then again, what do I know.

Thanks to all for taking time to ponder this.

Dave
Old October 24th 05, 08:45 PM
Papa

You may already be aware of some of the "gotchas" involved in the
switchover, but in case you are not, I suggest that you get into one of the
Volkswagen forums such as VWVortex and look for posts on the subject (or
just ask) before you buy any parts. I know that for some VW models, there is
a lot more to it than just switching transmissions. For example, on my '88
Cabbie the steering column and starter are different for the manual and
automatic transmissions, and of course the gas/brake pedal assembly must be
replaced by a gas/brake/clutch pedal assembly. You can't just add a clutch
pedal. Then some of the electric circuits are different as well (the backup
light switch, for example).

The VWVortex Cabriolet forum is at
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=152. I know there are some pretty
good discussions on the subject there. Good luck.

Old October 24th 05, 09:26 PM
SteveH

David Craig > wrote:

> Per some ideas that I received from some of you, I am now at the point
> where I am going to convert my 1988 Golf automatic transmission to a
> 5-speed manual transmission. I called a salvage yard to find a manual
> tranny, but was posed with the question.....which type to buy? The
> salvage yard said there are eight different types that could go in.
> Does anyone have any ideas as to which type to purchase? To me, it
> would seem that since I am replacing the entire transaxle, that it
> wouldn't matter which transmission....but, then again, what do I know.
>
> Thanks to all for taking time to ponder this.

It will be *much* cheaper to sell the auto and buy a manual.

As has already been posted, there's loads of other bits also need
changing, not least the carburettor - finding a good carb. for an '88
Golf is going to be a major pain - when I was looking for a carb. for my
'81 cabrio, I gave up and sold the car instead.

Alfa 156 2.0 TSpark Lusso - Passat 1.8 Turbo SE - COSOC KOTL