1994 wrangler gas tank leak

Old October 18th 05, 10:03 PM
Jeff

Default 1994 wrangler gas tank leak

Hello all-

I am the original owner of a 1994 jeep wrangler 4cylinder.
I drive this vehicle on and off as it is a second vehicle
over the years. Several years ago it started leaking gas
off the bank 2 bolts that hold up the gas tank, a few drops
here and there and mostly when the tank was full.

About 8 months ago I finally dropped the tank to check it
out and there are 2 return vents (apparently) at the top
of the tank, one on the left and the other on the right side.

I assumed the gas leak was just the gas sloshing around and
coming out the gas barb's located at the top so I bought new
gas line for each (it was a bit short for dropping the tank)
and also installed 2 screw down clamps to help hold it tight
and in place.

Its leaking again and after spending hours doing the last job,
Id like to know if anyone has any more input on this problem.
Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it?
Im wondering if maybe the 2 spots it goes into the tank need to
be replaced (I cant remember if that is easy or possible).

Just looking for feedback.
Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Old October 19th 05, 12:21 AM
Mike Romain

They are fitted in with rubber grommets and really shouldn't leak. My
86's tank ones would hold with no leaks when I had to drive with the gas
tank on it's side in the back seat. (the tank fell off way out in the
bush once)

I know the 'help' brand of parts auto stores carry have various grommets
or the $tealer likely can order them.

If the tank is rusty there, you might need some permanent gasket maker
or something like that to seal it. Silicone products won't work for raw
gas.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old October 19th 05, 12:46 AM
DougW

Jeff did pass the time by typing:
> Hello all-
>
> I am the original owner of a 1994 jeep wrangler 4cylinder.
> I drive this vehicle on and off as it is a second vehicle
> over the years. Several years ago it started leaking gas
> off the bank 2 bolts that hold up the gas tank, a few drops
> here and there and mostly when the tank was full.

It could be anywhere, but I'd start by checking all the hoses
very carefuly and any o-ring snap-fits. It could even be the
supply or return lines or a hairline crack.

Look for the big gobs of stuck dust, they usually trail back
to the source.

--
DougW

Old October 19th 05, 05:18 AM
Nick

It's the square rubber gromet that seals where the fuel pump is. I had a
couple rot out every couple of years.. About 20$ at the dealer. Finally
someone told me to coat the seal in vasoline and that one has lasted me much
longer. Ya...will see...
Nick

ups.com...

Old October 19th 05, 11:26 PM
DougW

Nick did pass the time by typing:
> It's the square rubber gromet that seals where the fuel pump is. I had a
> couple rot out every couple of years.. About 20$ at the dealer. Finally
> someone told me to coat the seal in vasoline and that one has lasted me much
> longer. Ya...will see...

Wonder if you could bed it in some gas resistant RTV or flange selant? Of course
that would make it a pain to get at later.

Old October 20th 05, 08:14 AM
Earle Horton

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Nick did pass the time by typing:
> > It's the square rubber gromet that seals where the fuel pump is. I had

> > couple rot out every couple of years.. About 20$ at the dealer. Finally
> > someone told me to coat the seal in vasoline and that one has lasted
> > much longer. Ya...will see...

> Wonder if you could bed it in some gas resistant RTV or flange selant? Of
> course that would make it a pain to get at later.

I believe that the problem is that the grommet dries out, or is damaged
during installation. The Vaseline hopefully prevents both from happening.
When the grommet is installed in the factory, they probably use a lubricant,
or rely on volatile oils left over from the manufacturing process, to ease
the installation. In my experience RTV is fuel resistant, if you let it
cure for long enough. At the least, the acetone smell should be all gone
before you try to use it for anything.

Earle

Old October 20th 05, 09:46 AM
Will Honea

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 07:14:38 UTC "Earle Horton"
> wrote:

> "DougW" > wrote in message
> > Nick did pass the time by typing:
> > > It's the square rubber gromet that seals where the fuel pump is. I had

> > > couple rot out every couple of years.. About 20$ at the dealer. Finally
> > > someone told me to coat the seal in vasoline and that one has lasted
> > > much longer. Ya...will see...

> > Wonder if you could bed it in some gas resistant RTV or flange selant? Of
> > course that would make it a pain to get at later.
> >

> I believe that the problem is that the grommet dries out, or is damaged
> during installation. The Vaseline hopefully prevents both from happening.
> When the grommet is installed in the factory, they probably use a lubricant,
> or rely on volatile oils left over from the manufacturing process, to ease
> the installation. In my experience RTV is fuel resistant, if you let it
> cure for long enough. At the least, the acetone smell should be all gone
> before you try to use it for anything.

In that case, be ready for a long wait ;-( I ran some tests on RTV to
use as a sealant for some designs that had to go into space (2 oz. of
hardware, 6 foot stack of paper!) and even under 3 tor vacuum that
damned stuff took MONTHS to stop outgassing. There is a variety of it
made for fuel systems but last time I looked it up they wanted the
proverbial arm, leg, and firstborn for it. I have used it on fuel
system gaskets with no problems, but only as a thin coat on the
regular paper gasket. I use it there more to make the gasket easier
to strip the next time I have to go in than as a real seal, however.

For gas tank seals, I use a coat of dish soap just to make the seal
slide into place without twisting or deforming as the plate is
installed. Also makes it easier to seat the cap on those blasted lock
rings around the fuel pump mount.

--
Will Honea
Old October 23rd 05, 03:19 PM
philthy

there was a recall on that call a dealer and have them run the vin