Toyota - haggling

Old September 16th 05, 03:27 PM
Ron P

Default Toyota - haggling

I have my eye on a 2006 Toyota Matrix. Does anyone have any knowledge on how
fixed Toyota is on their price quotes? In other words, do they "bargain?"
--
Ron P

Just remember....if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Old September 16th 05, 03:37 PM
223rem

Ron P wrote:
> I have my eye on a 2006 Toyota Matrix. Does anyone have any knowledge on
> how fixed Toyota is on their price quotes? In other words, do they
> "bargain?"

You can buy new cars through edmunds.com. They have a network of dealers
that can be contacted through their web pages, and they accept the edmunds.com
prices.
Old September 16th 05, 03:45 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

<screech!> Take your hands off your wallet and step back from the
vehicle.

Then go read the book described on
http://www.dontgettakeneverytime.com/

not to mention
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menu-auto.htm

and other such references that a librarian or others on this newsgroup
can point you toward.

Whether any particular dealer, or sellers of that make in general, will
negotiate on a given model depends on how popular it is at the moment.
But it can't hurt, and will probably help, to study up on the most
blatant of the many consumer rips that are built into the system, as
well as on negotiation tactics.

At the very least, the time it takes to do this homework will take the
edge off Car Lust (been there, fell victim to that...) , which all by
itself will helo you to some extent!

Good hunting,
--Joe

Old September 16th 05, 04:45 PM
Ron P

"Ad absurdum per aspera" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> <screech!> Take your hands off your wallet and step back from the
> vehicle.
>
> Then go read the book described on
> http://www.dontgettakeneverytime.com/
>
> not to mention
> http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/menu-auto.htm
>
> and other such references that a librarian or others on this newsgroup
> can point you toward.
>
> Whether any particular dealer, or sellers of that make in general, will
> negotiate on a given model depends on how popular it is at the moment.
> But it can't hurt, and will probably help, to study up on the most
> blatant of the many consumer rips that are built into the system, as
> well as on negotiation tactics.
>
> At the very least, the time it takes to do this homework will take the
> edge off Car Lust (been there, fell victim to that...) , which all by
> itself will helo you to some extent!
>
> Good hunting,
> --Joe

Thanks Joe. We are not in a hurry. I don't know how it is in the U.S.A. but
we have some dealerships up here in Canada that set their pricing like a
department store. What you see is what you pay and if you can do better
elsewhere that's your choice....no haggling at all. I just haven't had any
experience with Toyota and haven't noticed anything in the way of promotions
price-wise.

A visit to the local Ford dealership went something like, "these are the
discounts currently in force and we are not bargaining from there." (they
know I'm looking at all the competition)

We will probably make an offer and see what happens if we see what we really
want option wise. Likely, we will have to order a vehicle.

Old September 16th 05, 04:47 PM
Ron P

"223rem" > wrote in message
> Ron P wrote:
>> I have my eye on a 2006 Toyota Matrix. Does anyone have any knowledge on
>> how fixed Toyota is on their price quotes? In other words, do they
>> "bargain?"

> You can buy new cars through edmunds.com. They have a network of dealers
> that can be contacted through their web pages, and they accept the
> edmunds.com
> prices.

I went to their site but they only accept American Zip codes and not
Canadian Postal codes<:-(

Thank you

Old September 16th 05, 05:26 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

If you're a member of one of the "big box" warehouse-buying chains, or
of an auto club, it's worth checking to see if they have an auto
brokerage. In the US, at least, this is pretty common.

Cheers,
--Joe

Old September 16th 05, 06:32 PM
Ron P

"Ad absurdum per aspera" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> If you're a member of one of the "big box" warehouse-buying chains, or
> of an auto club, it's worth checking to see if they have an auto
> brokerage. In the US, at least, this is pretty common.
>
> Cheers,
> --Joe

Not a bad idea...thanks

Old September 16th 05, 07:32 PM
Peter Lawrence

Ron P wrote:
> I have my eye on a 2006 Toyota Matrix. Does anyone have any knowledge on how
> fixed Toyota is on their price quotes? In other words, do they "bargain?"

My friend was able to buy a Toyota Sienna last year about $4,000(US)
below MSRP. He did it by negotiating the price with about eight
different dealers via E-MAIL. He sent e-mails to the Toyota dealers
that were within a 100-mile radius of his house. He told them exactly
what options he wanted on his Sienna, that he was sending the e-mail to
the other dealers in the region and asked them for their best price.
About 2/3rds of the dealers responded with a quote. From there he
started the negotiations with a counter offer to the dealers that
responded with a quote. (The other dealers only asked for his phone
number and/or asked him to visit the dealership in person for a quote,
which he refused to do.)

As part of the negotiations (through e-mail), my friend insisted the
all the details (including the final 'out-the-door' price) needed to be
nailed down before he went to the dealership to sign the papers and
purchase the minivan.

The negotiations through this e-mail process took him about six weeks
to complete from the time he sent out his initial request for quotes to
the Toyota dealers to the day he went to the dealer he selected to
purchase the minivan.

- Peter

Old September 16th 05, 07:57 PM
Ron P

"Peter Lawrence" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Ron P wrote:
>> I have my eye on a 2006 Toyota Matrix. Does anyone have any knowledge on
>> how
>> fixed Toyota is on their price quotes? In other words, do they "bargain?"

> My friend was able to buy a Toyota Sienna last year about $4,000(US)
> below MSRP. He did it by negotiating the price with about eight
> different dealers via E-MAIL. He sent e-mails to the Toyota dealers
> that were within a 100-mile radius of his house. He told them exactly
> what options he wanted on his Sienna, that he was sending the e-mail to
> the other dealers in the region and asked them for their best price.
> About 2/3rds of the dealers responded with a quote. From there he
> started the negotiations with a counter offer to the dealers that
> responded with a quote. (The other dealers only asked for his phone
> number and/or asked him to visit the dealership in person for a quote,
> which he refused to do.)
>
> As part of the negotiations (through e-mail), my friend insisted the
> all the details (including the final 'out-the-door' price) needed to be
> nailed down before he went to the dealership to sign the papers and
> purchase the minivan.
>
> The negotiations through this e-mail process took him about six weeks
> to complete from the time he sent out his initial request for quotes to
> the Toyota dealers to the day he went to the dealer he selected to
> purchase the minivan.
>
> - Peter

Not a bad strategy at all. His payoff made it worth the trouble.

Old September 17th 05, 12:45 AM
shadowmica

Ron P wrote:
> I have my eye on a 2006 Toyota Matrix. Does anyone have any knowledge on how
> fixed Toyota is on their price quotes? In other words, do they "bargain?"
> --
> Ron P

I just picked up my 2006 Matrix XR last Night. When I walked in the
dealership I told them I wanted it for $500 over invoice and they
agreed without much hesitation. This was on a 2006 which they had none
of. I had to wait three weeks for it to come in. Two other dealers I
checked would not deal much. One wanted $900 over invoice and the other
wanted MSRP or close to it.

The problem with the 2006 is they are selling them as fast as they come
in. so Finding a Dealer who will discount alot may be difficult. But
hey start at $300 over invoice and go from there. They can only say no
and eventually you will get to a price they will sell it for.

MSRP is ridiculous I don't care how popular the car is.

The Matrix is a great car though. I love Mine!