Driving Speed v1.12 tech demo

Old March 18th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Driving Speed v1.12 tech demo

This new tech demo features a new car, Audi R8 LeMans.

Download it at www.megaderek.com

Old March 18th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Derek" > wrote in message
> This new tech demo features a new car, Audi R8 LeMans.
>
> Download it at www.megaderek.com

I love the fact that the invisible man drives the car.

Old March 18th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Invisible man? was the driver not visible? I can see him on my computer.

Old March 19th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Derek wrote:
> This new tech demo features a new car, Audi R8 LeMans.
>
> Download it at www.megaderek.com

I'm not sure what direction you're taking the program. That is,
simulator or arcade game. Assuming the former, here's what I've
compiled. Of course, these are just my opinions for what they're worth.

Good
----
* Game has a solid interface.
* Control setup was a breeze, minimizing the time to get in the game.
* Graphics were acceptable enough. Though lighting could be worked on
more. I didn't have a textured sky.
* AI seemed acceptable during normal conditions. Though I couldn't test
a full field (12), as my machine (1 GHz) hit single digit fps.
* Game had the standard racing cameras.

Bad
---
* Constantly have to select screen resolution at the start of the game.
* No support for split axis'.
* Steering in game was pretty sloppy, regardless of linearity setting.
* Selection for automatic/manual should be in the Options as a permanent
setting.
* No graphic settings.
* No in-game setup modification. Appears to be some limited support by
editing each vehicles car.txt file.
* Physics: Too much grip. I really couldn't force a spin. Rear tires
really didn't want to break loose, at any speed, for any of three of the
cars... including the Audi, which is supposed to have slicks. Possible
fix might be to edit the file named above and change tire grip.
* No clutch.
* No rear view mirror that I could find.
* AI didn't react properly under extreme race conditions. I punted a car
into next week, and it didn't slide off the track.

-Will
Old March 19th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

William Bradshaw wrote:

> I'm not sure what direction you're taking the program.

Sorry, didn't realize the game info was on the screenshots page. It is,
in fact, a simulator.

> * Physics: Too much grip. I really couldn't force a spin. Rear tires
> really didn't want to break loose, at any speed, for any of three of the
> cars... including the Audi, which is supposed to have slicks. Possible
> fix might be to edit the file named above and change tire grip.

In the car.text for the Audi, I changed:

LateralTyreGrip = 2.0
LongitudeTyreGrip = 1.8

LateralTyreGrip = 1.5
LongitudeTyreGrip = 1.3

The tires definitely lost grip exiting tight corners with the throttle
planted, however it was still too way easy to bring the car right back.
Comments?

-Will
Old March 19th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"Derek" > wrote in message
> Invisible man? was the driver not visible? I can see him on my computer.

I just watched the videos on the site and saw that there were no drivers in
the cars. I haven't tried the demo yet.

Old March 19th 06, 08:45 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Ahh ok those videos are a little old... before we had driver models put in
the cars.

.. .

Old March 19th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be looking into the issue where the resolution
is selected each time the game is run and also some settings for graphics.
The game isn't meant to be a full simulation nor full arcade, but in between
though leaning more towards simulation. I still want realistic performance
but appeal to a wide range of gamers, so keep it looking and feeling real
and being easy enough to play that you dont 'need' a dedicated wheel.
Similar to the Toca series games. Remember that the whole game has been
coded by one programmers myself, this includes graphics, physics, sound, AI
and gameplay... which was during my spare time at a full time game dev job.
Most racing games are done by several full time programmers.

Old March 19th 06, 09:58 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> Thanks for the feedback. I'll be looking into the issue where the
> resolution
> is selected each time the game is run and also some settings for graphics.
> The game isn't meant to be a full simulation nor full arcade, but in
> between
> though leaning more towards simulation. I still want realistic performance
> but appeal to a wide range of gamers, so keep it looking and feeling real
> and being easy enough to play that you dont 'need' a dedicated wheel.
> Similar to the Toca series games. Remember that the whole game has been
> coded by one programmers myself, this includes graphics, physics, sound,
> AI
> and gameplay... which was during my spare time at a full time game dev
> job.
> Most racing games are done by several full time programmers.

Well, I love your Cartman game...!

Old March 19th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Derek wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback. I'll be looking into the issue where the resolution
> is selected each time the game is run and also some settings for graphics.

Glad I could give you some input.

> The game isn't meant to be a full simulation nor full arcade, but in between
> though leaning more towards simulation. I still want realistic performance
> but appeal to a wide range of gamers, so keep it looking and feeling real
> and being easy enough to play that you dont 'need' a dedicated wheel.
> Similar to the Toca series games.

My apologies. That's what I get for presuming things.

> Remember that the whole game has been
> coded by one programmers myself, this includes graphics, physics, sound, AI
> and gameplay... which was during my spare time at a full time game dev job.
> Most racing games are done by several full time programmers.

Couldn't forget that. In fact, one of the best freeware simulators to
date was/is programmed and "cobbled" together by one man: Ruud Van Gaal
(http://www.racer.nl). While nowhere near finished, it's astounding what
one man can accomplish in his spare time.

-Will