2007 Shelby GT500 Mustang

Old March 23rd 05, 04:30 PM

Dan wrote:
> So much for rumors .
>
> The press for release for the Adrenaline at the NYIAS states it will

go
> on sale at the same time as the GT500:
>
> http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005/news0001cobra.php
>
> Furthermore, Motor Trend for May has a full spread on the car with
> pictures. I quote from the article:

Hey Dan, isn't this the same Eaton Roots blower as you've got on your
car? http://racergarage.com/shelbyGT500/S...500Show_15.jpg

The reason I ask is because the Motor Trend story speaks of a "twin
screw" blower, and to me that means a Whipple, not a Roots style as
used in the '03-04 Cobra, the GT, and the Lightning. I just wonder
which one they'll be using, because they're totally different animals.

Here's Ford's problem with a high dollar King of the Road Mustang:
http://racergarage.com/shelbyGT500/S...500Show_44.jpg

This photo shows a $19,000 V6, a $25,000 GT, and a $??,??? GT500, and
they all look the same.

Here's Ol' Shel himself, sitting in the last GT500 in the universe that
doesn't have his signature on the glovebox door:
http://racergarage.com/shelbyGT500/Shelby_testdrive.jpg

180 Out

Old March 23rd 05, 05:39 PM
Dan

The blower on the GT500 is internally a Lysholm twin screw design made
by Whipple. Eaton (Magnuson Products) packages it, I believe, for Ford.
So that case looks like an Eaton but inside it's a Whipple . The Ford
GT uses this same blower. In fact, other than some details (iron block
versus aluminum and probably some other differences), the GT500 motor
is essentially the same motor found in the Ford GT.

And, shortly, I'll have this same blower on my car. Yay!

As for the pricing, I'm being told by everyone that the GT500, given
that it's actually an SVT product and not a "special edition", will be
under $40k. They are planning on 7500 of them which about right for an
SVT Mustang run, so maybe that number's good.

I just cannot wait to see these running in the Grand Am Cup Stock Car
series .

Dan
2003 Cobra convertible
With some stuff and things

Old March 23rd 05, 07:54 PM

Dan wrote:

<snip>

I did not know that the GT used a Whipple-style.

Where are you getting yours? How much?

> As for the pricing, I'm being told by everyone that the
> GT500, given that it's actually an SVT product and
> not a "special edition", will be under $40k. They are
> planning on 7500 of them which about right for an
> SVT Mustang run, so maybe that number's good.

$40,000 for a 450 hp 2 + 2 with the new Stangs' good looks. This is
very bad news . . . for my wife. I just hope it doesn't get
"eBay-ed" like the GT has. Even as we speak there are six of these
"$125,000" supercars on eBay, with current bids ranging from $143,000
for one with 6 days left, to $225,000 for one with 2 days left, and a
"Buy It Now" of $241,000. Applying the same math ($241K/$125K = 191%)
to a $40,000 car takes us to $77,000!!!

180 Out

Old March 23rd 05, 09:26 PM
me

On 22 Mar 2005 21:25:14 -0800, "Dan" > wrote:

> [...]
>mean less stirring is needed to find the "sweet spot" in keeping the
>revs "on cam" for power to pass, while at the same time making the most
>of the engine's broad torque curve. The heavy-duty transmission has
>proven itself a willing companion to V-8 power in Mustangs in both road
>and track environments, including the 2000 SVT Mustang Cobra R, 2004
>SVT Mustang Cobra and the new race-winning Ford Racing Mustang FR500C.
>
>Great power requires great control
>
>The great Shelby Mustangs of the 1960s were anything but one-trick
>ponies. They earned their stripes on twisty roads and race tracks
>across America and Europe. The Shelby Cobra GT500 show car continues
>that legacy of all-around performance.
>
>The GT500 starts with the solid 2005 Mustang underpinnings. The all-new
>Mustang's platform was designed from the beginning with performance
>derivatives in mind, providing an exceptionally rigid, well-engineered
>starting point for SVT chassis engineers.
>
>Using real-world experience gained during more than 12 years of
>building great-handling SVT Mustang Cobras, SVT engineers retune and
>upgrade key chassis components. Improvements such as revised shocks,
>spring rates and upgraded stabilizer bars help the GT500 stop and turn
>with the same authority as it goes.
>
>The GT500 features a MacPherson strut independent front suspension with
>"Reverse L" lower control arms, and a solid-axle, three-link rear
>suspension with coil springs and a Panhard rod for precise control of
>the rear axle.
>
>This rear suspension design has been validated on the track by Ford
>Racing. The race-prepared Ford Racing Mustang FR500C was purpose-built
>from the base 2005 Mustang body structure and suspension geometry to
>run in the Grand-Am Cup series, a class of road racing for
>production-based cars. Competing against the best from Germany and
>Japan, a Mustang FR500C competed in and won its first ever race in the
>season-opener at Daytona International Speedway in February 2005.
>
>SVT and Ford Racing will be working closer than ever as we go forward
>on future projects, especially Mustangs," says Thai-Tang, a Ford Racing
>alumnus who served as the race engineer for the Newman-Haas Racing team
>in 1993. "The Mustang FR500C racing program is an exact demonstration
>of the capability we engineered into the mainstream Mustang to be
>capable of. Now, we have both a Daytona victory and the return of the
>Shelby Cobra GT500 to showcase Mustang performance possibilities.
>
>To match this power and handling ability, SVT fitted some of the
>biggest brakes in the business to the GT500. Fourteen-inch
>cross-drilled Brembo rotors up front and 13-inch discs in the rear
>continue SVT's legacy of great-braking Mustangs. Secure footing is
>provided by 19-inch wheels wrapped in high-performance tires."
>
>So, two SVT products upcoming .
>
>Time to upgrade mine so I can keep the GT500 boys humble for a years or

Another link:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...=169354&page=1

Old March 23rd 05, 09:56 PM
Thomas Hooven

I'll Keep my 70 Shelby GT350!
hoovie
ups.com...

Old March 23rd 05, 11:21 PM
Dan

> Dan wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> I did not know that the GT used a Whipple-style.
>
> Where are you getting yours? How much?

I'm still shopping around and I missed the last group purchase on one
of the forums. It looks like no one is discounting these yet either so
I'll be paying close to retail which is $3195 for the painted version,
$3895 for the polished.

My debate right now is polished versus non. I have seen some nice
powdercoated S/C's in these cars and I might go that route which would
be the least expensive.

The other debate I'm waging is that I've got buddies who are working on
their own turbo kit for this car. I just rode in a twin turbo'd 2V that
knocked my socks off. My DOHC will respond better to that kind of boost
but even with the "consideration" I'll be getting the kit would be at
least $1.5k more than the blower because of all the parts.

I just dunno :P.

Dan
2003 Cobra convertible
With some stuff and things

[snip]

Old March 24th 05, 12:24 AM
SVTKate

Whatta ya suppose that big red pulley button is on the dash??????
Dang, he looks happy.

he sucks too.

Kate

oups.com...

Old March 24th 05, 01:27 AM

SVT Kate wrote:

> Whatta ya suppose that big red pulley
> button is on the dash??????

That's for the ejector seat, for when your significant other says "SLOW
THE F' DOWN" for the 25th time.

180 Out

Old March 24th 05, 01:41 AM
DarkPony

That red button is for an emergency rear parahcute to slow that
beast down

DarkPony
04 Gt Vert 40th Prem

oups.com...