Ok, this is funny...

Old March 1st 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Ok, this is funny...

Let me see if I have this right...

"Someone" decides to sell updated track gfx, skies and road textures
for rFactor and gets CRUCIFIED for it, yet "someone" else offers up an
Ebay auction for track advertising on a totally fictional race track
and it's "a pretty good deal"??? Looking at the auctions as I type
this, the "winner" (I use that term loosely) will be paying $500 for
the "right" to advertise at Crossfire Speedway. Can Nextel be far
behind?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't one of the many mentioned
"negatives" of rF the totally fictional basis of the cars and
locations? And don't forget the fact the sim racing world gurus openly
ridicule ovals and oval racing as the sport of simpletons. So perhaps
3500 downloads might be a bit of a stretch.

Now, looking at the Racecast "rRank", I see that there are 4928 drivers
registered. Of course there are some who haven't registered and there
are some who registered more than one name, so let's call the 4928 a
reasonable number of rF owners. That's over 2000 less than the
circulation of an electronics magazine that I have never heard of.

Yep, I guess I am wrong...this is the deal of the century!

Old March 1st 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I have this somewhere

As well as Indy Car II, Nascar 1 thru 2003 (and all in-between).

-Larry

Old March 2nd 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

| Now, looking at the Racecast "rRank", I see that there are 4928 drivers
| registered. Of course there are some who haven't registered and there
| are some who registered more than one name, so let's call the 4928 a
| reasonable number of rF owners. That's over 2000 less than the
| circulation of an electronics magazine that I have never heard of.
|
| Yep, I guess I am wrong...this is the deal of the century!

You're forgetting one little thing, aren't you? Not everyone who owns
rFactor will be playing this particular mod. So your circulation numbers
are not exactly correct.

You could of course say the same thing about a magazine. Not everyone who
buys the magazine will read it. All in all, I don't particularly care about
this issue either way. If money and more money and money no matter what is
what someone is after, then go for it.

It's not going to get you very far, in the end.

Alanb

Old March 2nd 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Well, it would <seem> to me that you PROVED my point. I was giving the
benefit of the doubt to the fact that all 4928 ppl. would "see" the
advertising that someone paid $500 for. I then compared it to the
circulation of the mentioned magazine. As you said, not all the rF
owners will run the stock cars mods or even that particular track.
Again, it doesn't seem like a great investment to me.

When I am racing I don't "see" any ads as they pass by and I don't buy
products soley because I see an ad for it. I like Dale Jr., but don't
like Bud, I am a Tony Stewart fan, but shop equally at Home Depot and
Lowe's. I am a huge M. Schumacher fan, but have never smoked a single
cigarette.

Your last statement sums it up pretty well, however.

Old March 3rd 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Momst of you **** and moan about when they're about hang you, with a new
rope... <G>

Now again, just like movies, FORD, COKE, Malboro PAY money to have it be
their product IN FRAME... (who knows how much mayeb not a lot) This has
been the achillies heel and oxymornic plot failure in our sims, that Chevy
or interstate batteries thinks it should be paid because the walking talking
racing bilboard is going to be seen "in game" and I never did get that
theory...

Old March 3rd 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

>Surely this would be illegal without ISI's permission. Any lawyers around here?

What part, the creation of a fictious track? I thought that's what
rfactor was all about, making it easy for the modders? Or the modders
choice in what he uses for incidental graphics? It's not like he's
charging for people to use the track.

If I were running a cottage industry building say wheels & pedals or
race rigs and I thought the track might be used by a few leagues it
might be $500 well spent. Certainly better then a 1/4 page in the
back of PCGamer that will be skipped over by shoot-em-up players. At
least the few people who do see it will all be sim racers... I think
it's called targetted advertising.

If this sort of venture gets a couple of extra tracks out there, why
not? They've got to have scenary anyway...

Old March 17th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators

"PlowBoy" > wrote in message
> YOu see this add on ebay? I think I still have my copy AND the rendition2
> card I bought so it would run good <VBG>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll..._BIN_Stores_IT

Hell I bought my TSW for SODA!!
And along the lines of the OP, back when we were beta testing Leadfoot,
Wilshe had us tryin to sell billboards in that game.

eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] VW air cooled 4 December 21st 04 01:06 AM
es [email protected] Chrysler 0 December 20th 04 10:16 AM
eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Honda 0 December 20th 04 09:25 AM
funny story about autos.tech [email protected] Technology 5 December 19th 04 10:50 PM