"SUDDEN ACCELERATION" 'aint going away........

Old December 30th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GatorMan

Default "SUDDEN ACCELERATION" 'aint going away........

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=173&did=907
Old December 30th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dwight[_1_]

"GatorMan" > wrote in message
. ..
> http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=173&did=907

My car experiences sudden acceleration quite often, usually when I'm lined
up at a light where the road ahead merges from two lanes to one. But
oftentimes the car will suddenly lurch forward when the road ahead becomes
clear. It's really weird.

I was out for a romp through the countryside yesterday, and the car did a
whole lot of lurching.

CFrog lurches, too, but because it's a convertible, its lurching isn't
nearly as satisfying as TFrog's. It feels much heavier and slower in those
lurches. It's not a very good lurcher.

dwight

Old December 30th 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

GatorMan wrote:
> http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=173&did=907

Neither is forced busing but that doesn't make it right.
An 88 Town car? Give me a break, that woman should be in
prison. The only way a 140 HP 88 Town car could over come
it's breaks is if it got rear ended by a loaded dump truck.
It's interesting to note that I can't find anything about
Audi's and unintended acceleration in Germany where you
actually are forced to learn how to be a responsible driver
before you are allowed to drive.

I am not saying unintended acceleration does not happen,
I'm saying when it does, there is no excuse for it to not be
controlled unless you are driving a 600+ HP Fox Mustang with
a Lenco transmission and stock brakes.

--
“I intended that "not stupid" be a requirement.” – Seth
Breidbart
Old December 30th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

dwight wrote:
> "GatorMan" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=173&did=907

> My car experiences sudden acceleration quite often, usually when I'm lined
> up at a light where the road ahead merges from two lanes to one. But
> oftentimes the car will suddenly lurch forward when the road ahead becomes
> clear. It's really weird.
>
> I was out for a romp through the countryside yesterday, and the car did a
> whole lot of lurching.
>
> CFrog lurches, too, but because it's a convertible, its lurching isn't
> nearly as satisfying as TFrog's. It feels much heavier and slower in those
> lurches. It's not a very good lurcher.
>
> dwight

Yeah, TOO often in fact. The stock tires on the Titan
are almost ready to be replaced and I just did hit 10K miles.

Old December 31st 06, 06:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, WindsorFox wrote:
> GatorMan wrote:
>> http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=173&did=907

> Neither is forced busing but that doesn't make it right.
> An 88 Town car? Give me a break, that woman should be in
> prison. The only way a 140 HP 88 Town car could over come
> it's breaks is if it got rear ended by a loaded dump truck.

On top of that... it doesn't have any new fangled control system either.
It's cable connected to a butterfly valve.

I read these things and I think that people are simply way too ingorant
of the technology they are using. Anyone who knows how a car works can
deal with the failure we are being told occurs if it really did happen
which is doubtful given the two-feet on the brake pedal story telling. Of
course maybe these same people had no brak linings left on their pads.
Failure to maintain the brakes is still their fault.

> It's interesting to note that I can't find anything about
> Audi's and unintended acceleration in Germany where you
> actually are forced to learn how to be a responsible driver
> before you are allowed to drive.

Thing about Germany is that manual transmissions are much more popular.
The clutch remains a built in way to make sure the power doesn't reach
the road. Sure the engine might grenade itself if it hits 9K rpm or
something if doesn't have a reve limiter, but the car won't go crashing
into things.

> I am not saying unintended acceleration does not happen,
> I'm saying when it does, there is no excuse for it to not be
> controlled unless you are driving a 600+ HP Fox Mustang with
> a Lenco transmission and stock brakes.

Pretty much. One needs a seriously modified car in an unbalanced way to
have an unintended acceleration reach the problem levels indicated.

Old December 31st 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
My Name Is Nobody

"GatorMan" > wrote in message
. ..
> http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=173&did=907

You really should quit while you are behind.

From your Cite:

In its 1989 report, NHTSA noted that drivers over 60 were as much as six
times as likely as younger drivers to be involved in an unintended
acceleration incident, suggesting that deteriorating reflexes are a
contributing factor.

Audi was investigated for hundreds of complaints of unintended acceleration
in its 5000 sedan. The resulting bad publicity caused Audi sales to drop 60%
in three years, even though NHTSA never found a flaw in Audi's design and
blamed driver error.

New data-recording devices, similar to the black boxes on airplanes, are
increasingly showing up on vehicles. They will show computer codes that tell
whether the throttle control system failed, the brakes were used and
numerous other details about cars before a crash. That means the
often-missing electronic footprints of what caused a crash finally will be
available.

Old December 31st 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

Brent P wrote:
> In article >, WindsorFox wrote:
>> GatorMan wrote:
>>> http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=173&did=907

>> Neither is forced busing but that doesn't make it right.
>> An 88 Town car? Give me a break, that woman should be in
>> prison. The only way a 140 HP 88 Town car could over come
>> it's breaks is if it got rear ended by a loaded dump truck.

> On top of that... it doesn't have any new fangled control system either.
> It's cable connected to a butterfly valve.
>
> I read these things and I think that people are simply way too ingorant
> of the technology they are using. Anyone who knows how a car works can
> deal with the failure we are being told occurs if it really did happen
> which is doubtful given the two-feet on the brake pedal story telling. Of
> course maybe these same people had no brak linings left on their pads.
> Failure to maintain the brakes is still their fault.

I've said this for years. If that 16 yo girl I saw
weaving through traffic at 60MPH on a BUSY 4 lane road with
a 40-45 MPH limit had the first clue about momentum and the
weight of the car, she wouldn't be doing it.

Old December 31st 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
WindsorFox

My Name Is Nobody wrote:

> New data-recording devices, similar to the black boxes on airplanes, are
> increasingly showing up on vehicles. They will show computer codes that tell
> whether the throttle control system failed, the brakes were used and
> numerous other details about cars before a crash. That means the
> often-missing electronic footprints of what caused a crash finally will be
> available.

Like the ones in the 06 Mustang. Hmmmm.....

Old January 7th 07, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Gary Vitagliano

The only way Sudden accleration can happen is driver error, end of
story! My 86 ran away from me after I punched it but it ended up being
the pedal got stuck under the floor mat. Instead of crashing I just
turned the key back.

Old January 7th 07, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
GatorMan

Until it happensd to you, you can't really express an opinion.
When Ford gets around to a recall or a tsb, all you know-it-alls will be
singing a different tune.

My 2006 Ford GT Mustang with A/T took off all by itself, full throttle,
wide open. It all happened in about 8 seconds, the car travelled exactly
331 feet before it came to a stop (hit the garage.)

I know exactly where my feet were, on the brake (not on the gas, no
carpet interference, no mats to get entangled). And I'm not a nitwit. I
built and dragged in my teens, switched to road racing Jaguars in my
late twenties. I have driven everything with wheels. From Sprites to a
Euclid. I'm a professional driver, with a "Class A CDL"........

Search out "sudden acceleration" "unintended acceleration"
"unanticipated acceleration" and start living in the real world.

Ron in Tampa................