1971 Westy 1600 Stalling

Old May 16th 06, 05:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default 1971 Westy 1600 Stalling

Hey guys,

Question: When I push in my clutch and hit the brakes, my bus is
stalling. It does not matter what gear I am in or whether I down shift
to slow then hit my brakes. Both lights (oil/gen) come on when stalled
and a quick turn of the key or releasing the clutch while moving gets
me going again. I know this is not much to go on, but that is all I
have.

I do have some exhaust issues where my muffler is a little wholey and
my heater boxes need replaced. Could this be a back pressure issue
from my exhaust?

Thank you,

Roger
Denver, CO.

Old May 16th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Roger wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> Question: When I push in my clutch and hit the brakes, my bus is
> stalling. It does not matter what gear I am in or whether I down shift
> to slow then hit my brakes. Both lights (oil/gen) come on when stalled
> and a quick turn of the key or releasing the clutch while moving gets
> me going again. I know this is not much to go on, but that is all I
> have.
>
> I do have some exhaust issues where my muffler is a little wholey and
> my heater boxes need replaced. Could this be a back pressure issue
> from my exhaust?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Roger
> Denver, CO.

'71 should have vacuum servo for power brakes.
It sucks a little vacuum when you first step on
the brakes which can affect idle, esp if mixture
is on the lean side.

It can also create constant vac leak when braking
if there is a flaw in the servo valving or diaphragm leak.

To see if the braking system is causing the stalling,
block off the vac connection at the manifold.
(Don't drive on the road like this, just experiment
at home.)

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/1
Old May 16th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Cool. Will try that.

So at most I have to replace the Master cyl?

I still wish I lived near you. Though we have some good VW shops in
Denver, it would be nice to go to a VW GOD rather than just an expert

Roger

Old May 16th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Roger wrote:

> Cool. Will try that.
>
> So at most I have to replace the Master cyl?
>
> I still wish I lived near you. Though we have some good VW shops in
> Denver, it would be nice to go to a VW GOD rather than just an expert
>

> Roger

Well, not the M/C; the servo is a separate part
and you don't want to replace it ($$$) unless it's
certain that it's bad.
Jim
Old May 17th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

In article > ,
Speedy Jim > wrote:

> Roger wrote:
>
> > Cool. Will try that.
> >
> > So at most I have to replace the Master cyl?
> >
> > I still wish I lived near you. Though we have some good VW shops in
> > Denver, it would be nice to go to a VW GOD rather than just an expert
> >

> > Roger
> >

> Well, not the M/C; the servo is a separate part
> and you don't want to replace it ($$$) unless it's
> certain that it's bad.
> Jim

not something that can be fixed with duct tape or bondo?

--
If you see yourself in others, then whom can you harm?

1971 Westy 1600 Bosh generator - Dual Battery Question Roger VW air cooled 4 March 9th 06 06:13 PM
1971 Westy Dual Port 1600 (No Power) Roger VW air cooled 5 December 13th 05 05:48 PM
1300 to 1600 Joao Eliseu VW air cooled 4 February 26th 05 05:27 PM
1600 engine survey azazel scratch VW air cooled 13 October 31st 04 02:33 AM
1600 bay camper stalling......advise much appreciated... Bill Spiliotopoulos VW air cooled 0 October 14th 04 03:49 PM