back end gets squirrelly

Old December 5th 06, 11:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dom

Default back end gets squirrelly

Thanks for reading this.

During moderate to hard acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear the back end gets
squirrelly. Windows are up so I can not hear any tires squealing. When I let
off the pedal the car tracks straight . Its a stock 2005 Z51 with 30 psi in
the stock tires.

Any thoughts guys?

Dom

Old December 5th 06, 11:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Dom" > wrote in message news:MAndh.24903$kz1.15058@trnddc07...
> Thanks for reading this.
>
> During moderate to hard acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear the back end gets
> squirrelly. Windows are up so I can not hear any tires squealing. When I let
> off the pedal the car tracks straight . Its a stock 2005 Z51 with 30 psi in
> the stock tires.
>
> Any thoughts guys?
>
> Dom

No, except the Supercar tires don't squeal like some have in the past and you
are moving quicker than you think. Never found it very hard to keep it under
control during a burnout or just hard acceleration. Look at your tread depth and
you will see that they are slipping more than you realize.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old December 7th 06, 01:00 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dom

Dad

I spoke to a few folks and you seem to have nailed it. The cold weather snap
may have something to do with the tires not grabbing the way they did in
July.

Anyway, all is good.

Thanks
Dom

.. .

Old December 7th 06, 02:55 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Dom" > wrote in message news:OIJdh.76$uh.40@trnddc07...
> Dad
>
> I spoke to a few folks and you seem to have nailed it. The cold weather snap
> may have something to do with the tires not grabbing the way they did in July.
>
> Anyway, all is good.
>
> Thanks
> Dom

Oops, never figured in the temperature, don't know where you are. Mine now has
the winter tires on it which don't grip as well with 1" less tread width. They
don't squeal much either but they do run better in the rain which is their
primary use.

Old December 7th 06, 09:34 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
dave

'During moderate to hard acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear the back end
gets squirrelly. Windows are up so I can not hear any tires squealing.
When I let off the pedal the car tracks straight . Its a stock 2005 Z51
with 30 psi in the stock tires.
Any thoughts guys?'

REPLY: Sounds like what a Corvette is supposed to do ! You dont have
a problem .

Old December 8th 06, 01:39 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dom

Someone mentioned that I should see "traction system active" on the DIC when
this happens.

I cant say if that message appeared because I didn't look down, and I let
off the pedal just at it starts to get squirrelly. Will get on a stretch of
empty road and see if this message appears.

Will post back soon.

Old December 8th 06, 02:20 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Dom" > wrote in message news:Fn3eh.763$qh.628@trnddc06...
> Someone mentioned that I should see "traction system active" on the DIC when
> this happens.
>
> I cant say if that message appeared because I didn't look down, and I let off
> the pedal just at it starts to get squirrelly. Will get on a stretch of empty
> road and see if this message appears.
>
> Will post back soon.

One wheel must exceed the speed of the other by a given amount to activate the
message and yes it will appear. Let it out to much and you get this -
http://www.corvetteconti.com/welcome...92&Item id=29

Old December 14th 06, 07:50 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Lone Wolf

A fellow working near us tried to pass a car and his Vette got all
squirrelly..he tried to correct it at the same time as the traction control
thing did it's job..result ...spun on a dry road at about 50mph hit a tree
and was killed...?? So watch your a** you could end up like he did...some
reports think the air bag deployment broke his neck...????

How hard should it be to push a caliper piston back in? tonyw VW water cooled 7 January 14th 06 04:50 PM
E39 back axle whine. Jack BMW 0 January 9th 06 12:47 PM
Midnight Repairs [email protected] VW air cooled 13 December 28th 05 06:27 AM
Sudden surge on engine temp gauge to 260 then back down - Cause? [email protected] Jeep 0 December 21st 05 04:46 PM
Problem: 146 Ti holds back..!? Stephan Alfa Romeo 3 July 22nd 04 08:38 PM